Not all Vauxhalls are shite. Please pay, roffle on Saturday!

purplebargeken

Astra_zpsgzefagjq.jpg

IMG_20180306_152146601_HDR_zps1ykotkxf.j

IMG_20180306_152203867_HDR_zpsim4gvv2d.j

That is the worst bit on the rear arches, the other side is lovely. There are some bits of rust here and there, the bottom of the front wings are a bit tatty but on the whole it is in pretty good condition although the paintwork will need a bit of rescuing in places where it has gone down to the primer for some reason.

IMG_20180306_152254462_HDR_zpssswk9yib.j[/url]

Had one similar to this in the family not so long ago.  Here it is when I was changing the N/S outer sill in (I think) 2011 :-

post-24535-0-44773900-1520434862_thumb.jpg

It was in pretty good condition generally, and drove very well.  Also had a genuine 20-something thousand miles on the clock.  In the end my parents scrapped it in 2017 because it needed a new water pump and the owner (my brother) couldn't be bothered.  Nobody told me until after the deed was done.  I really wasn't impressed as I'd put a lot of effort into welding it up and it was a great car that had been in the family for generations.  Wouldn't have been as bad if they'd have sold it but scrap it when it had recently had the bodywork sorted?!!  It had even had notes left on it by people interested in buying it and they SCRAPPED IT!!! :angry:

Had one similar to this in the family not so long ago. Here it is when I was changing the N/S outer sill in (I think) 2011 :-

Astranosill.jpg

It was in pretty good condition generally, and drove very well. Also had a genuine 20-something thousand miles on the clock. In the end my parents scrapped it in 2017 because it needed a new water pump and the owner (my brother) couldn't be bothered. Nobody told me until after the deed was done. I really wasn't impressed as I'd put a lot of effort into welding it up and it was a great car that had been in the family for generations. Wouldn't have been as bad if they'd have sold it but scrap it when it had recently had the bodywork sorted?!! It had even had notes left on it by people interested in buying it and they SCRAPPED IT!!! :angry:

Can I offer you some advice?

Cut them out of your life.

Change number. Change job. Change house. Change name.

I’m sorry for your loss. (The car)

(!)

Had one similar to this in the family not so long ago.  Here it is when I was changing the N/S outer sill in (I think) 2011 :-

attachicon.gifAstranosill.jpg

It was in pretty good condition generally, and drove very well.  Also had a genuine 20-something thousand miles on the clock.  In the end my parents scrapped it in 2017 because it needed a new water pump and the owner (my brother) couldn't be bothered.  Nobody told me until after the deed was done.  I really wasn't impressed as I'd put a lot of effort into welding it up and it was a great car that had been in the family for generations.  Wouldn't have been as bad if they'd have sold it but scrap it when it had recently had the bodywork sorted?!!  It had even had notes left on it by people interested in buying it and they SCRAPPED IT!!! :angry:

^^ That ranks with my Mum selling a copy of Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band at a yard sale for a tenner two years ago.

It was pressed in June 1967 so one of the very first pressed, pre ordered by Father Bluejeans, perfect condition with the pull out supplement bits inside.

I nearly fucking cried. The times, as a youth, when I waited for my folks to go out shopping so I could play 'A day in the life' flat out on my Dad's bastard great speakers so the whole house shook. 

Ten. Pounds.  :mad:

These are very good cars. A friend of mine had an AstraMax diesel van. Other than being glacially slow it served him well through over 300,000 trouble free miles, finally only succumbing to rust and after a life of hard use travelling all over the UK and down to Portugal.  No frills certainly, but utterly reliable.

The condition of the indicator stalk is bugging me:

Bit more work to do:

1, 5, 6, 7, 13, 15, 18, 19, 21, 25, 31, 33, 41, 44, 45, 49, 50, 51, 54 and 57, please.

^^ That ranks with my Mum selling a copy of Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band at a yard sale for a tenner two years ago.

It was pressed in June 1967 so one of the very first pressed, pre ordered by Father Bluejeans, perfect condition with the pull out supplement bits inside.

I nearly fucking cried. The times, as a youth, when I waited for my folks to go out shopping so I could play 'A day in the life' flat out on my Dad's bastard great speakers so the whole house shook. 

Ten. Pounds.  :mad:

I can massively top this, my mam knew the Beatles in their youth and had the lucky escape to be dumped by  the sack of shit that was Ringo who was in a different band at the time, anyhows said band then known as " The Silver Beetles" had been fucking about in NEMS record store where there was a booth you record yourself in and get a few shite copies or your efforts for a fiver, one copy was given to my mum and thinking they were charlie big spuds they signed it, McCartney, Sutcliffe, Harrison Lennon and whoever never made it as the drummer

She showed it to my brother in the 80's who was then 8 ish and said it would be his when he was older.......the knobhead listened to it and thought it was crap ....took it into school and............................................... gave it away.

So that chaps is why likely the earliest recording in existence didn't pay for my big fuck off house and Ford RS200 

Nice Astra by the way !!

Beautifully simple. And thats why they last so long. Mechanically they are unburstable - the only fly in the ointment being their propensity to rot out of sight.

I worked with a guy who spent an arm and a leg on a calibra 4x4 turbo and then found out the rear chassis legs had schlepped away. He cut sections out of a car in the breakers to graft onto his.

I sold my 84 cav SRi to my brother - he sold it in 1996 with 140 k on the clock - it still wore its original sills and had it's original camshaft.

My cousin shared a dressing room with Paul McCartney at  Invicta Ballrooms Chatham 1963...

Anyway  Astras .....I was here today..Lots of older cars  :-D P6 complete! , Acclaim , Range Rover mk1  etc

Nice guy , 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/heartenoakcarparts2017?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 .

They have a mk2 Astra,  if you want any bits,   I'll see if they're on it  tomorrow ?

Okay, although I do like the Astra, it looks very much like the carb is the problem being a shitty from new Pierburg autochoke type. I remember how much hassle these caused on other cars. If they were as bad as a knackered VV then meh!

Weber conversion is the way to go. Sadly I don't have a Weber and am unlikely to obtain one.

Any interest in a straight buyage or roffle? I know we have been roffle heavy of late though.

I paid 400 quid for the car and it is a little charmer of a thing. 

Grot here and there but nothing too horrible at all. Paint is tatty in places as it appears to have fallen off. Headlining is droopy but clean. Interior trim is in good order. Could do with better wiper blades tbh.

It has new plugs and a rocker cover gasket to fit. I will get round to that. Cambelt has been done by a previous owner quite recently. Clutch is beautifully light. Gear change is lovely. 

Any interest at £325 cash or £6 per roffle number?

Can't really do swaps as I've got the MGF to sort out now.

It has a towbar fitted too!

Pete Best. ... he wasn't a cunt.

This.

The Wey and Arun Canal trust are having all manner of issues. There have been thousands upon thousands of hours spent by mainly volunteers to restore the Wey and Arun canal, all the way from the Arun river up to wherever it is that it joins the rest of the canal network. The vast majority of the landowners in question are really positive about it, and welcome seeing the canal restored. A very limited number of them are miserably cunts. An even more limited number of them are actively blocking any efforts to complete the restoration. Guess who one of these tossers is.

Also. Does anyone know what model of motah should be looked for to pinch a carburettor off for this Astrabag? A carburettor conversion/swap sounds like a very easy way to get this running beautifully, which would be quite easy to do.