320Touring's Citroen GSA. Boom, back in the room (unit) 11/07/2021

320touring

Cumbernauld is another fucking world.

No snow in EK on Sunday (which in itself is unusual except for sometimes in July ot August in a good summer)

Went to What's It Called to do an X5 key and it's about three to four inches deep.

To be fair to it, my gaff still has occasional clumps of snaw still lying

The GSA instrument panel is brilliant. Way better than the kit car style the RHD GS models got. Why could they not have given them the ones fitted in LHD. Far more Citroen like....

I think the RHD GSAs did get the same "Tron"-style instrument panel with PRN satellite pods:

375467287_41a6ca4f84_o.jpg

It was the earlier RHD GSs which had to make do with the kit-car dash with traditional dials.

I think the RHD GSAs did get the same "Tron"-style instrument panel with PRN satellite pods:

375467287_41a6ca4f84_o.jpg

It was the earlier RHD GSs which had to make do with the kit-car dash with traditional dials.

Mine had the earlier dash like this....(it was a GSA, though)

post-5367-0-30434000-1521553425_thumb.jpg 

Which I preferred....at the time!   

As I understand it, the earliest GSAs still got the GS dash, so yours would have been quite rare. I think there might have been some crossover oddities that had various combinations of earlier and later shell/trim/dash/engines.

I absolutely love the GSA sci-fi interior but watching that video reminds me how incredibly cheap the materials were!

Cumbernauld is another fucking world.

No snow in EK on Sunday (which in itself is unusual except for sometimes in July or August in a good summer)

Went to What's It Called to do an X5 key and it's about three to four inches deep.

Isn't it just! It was brutal here a few weeks back in the snokaos carry on. I live in one of the highest points of the town which does not help.

The GSA's with the round dial instruments, had a slightly different warning light layout. The round dials may look sporty for the X2 models, but the PRN on the GSA's and the set up on the LHD GS models just fit the quirkiness of the cars a lot better.

Same with the Mk1 BX. Much better dash.

As I understand it, the earliest GSAs still got the GS dash, so yours would have been quite rare. I think there might have been some crossover oddities that had various combinations of earlier and later shell/trim/dash/engines.

I absolutely love the GSA sci-fi interior but watching that video reminds me how incredibly cheap the materials were!

Mine was registered April 1980.  It was a 1300 5 speed in, I think, Club spec. 

To give you some idea of how much I wanted this car, there was less than 3 mins between HMC advertising it, and me PM'ing to buy.

I took it to the station this morning, and marvelled at my good luck!

The hot air within 1 min is great, and she drives lovely.

And I wasnae far behind you! My skin is the colour of LHM, but it's great to see you enjoying it after the many CX woes.

As I await an chrain to take me into town for mild festivities, I'mma make a 'to do' list for this car too:

1. Service /oil change

2. Timing belts

3. Potential for new tyres

4. Exhaust blow to be resolved

5. A proper exterior and interior clean

6. Some bodywork to tidy up

7. Interior preservation

8. Sphere change (it has got better with use but not quite 'there')

9. Needs an MOT in June

To make servicing a lot easier, you can by an oil filter adaptor from Chevronics. This allows more widely available filters to be used. The standard GS size is hard to get in reputable brands. I think the Mann filter that fits is around 14 squid. Fit this adaptor then buy the Purflux ones that fit the petrol BX & Xantias. Get them from GSF when they do the cheap weekend deals and they are pennies. Purflux is Citroen OE and are VV high quality. I use 10w40 semi synth. Not brand fussy.

Timing belts are easy to do. Hard / time consuming part is getting the headlamp panel off (if all the bolts have rusted) and removing the fan & starting handle dog. Deep 42mm socket and windy gun needed.

Whole debate about tyres. I fitted Michelin XZX. 145X15 is not an easy size. You can get Nankang in that size, but they have a modern square shoulder, not the rounded shoulder like the Michelins do. Rounded shoulder is more suited to the GS' unique centre point steering. However, in real world terms I don't know how much difference that makes.

Front spheres are easy least, rears not. Issue being the cylinders need to come out. Pushrods pin could be seized and pipe union rusted/ seized. These round for fun as the union nuts are made from Brie.

Not a fan of Nankangs myself - they have managed to make a power-understeer driftmonster out of a pushrod Renault 16 with 3-speed auto, and to enable my Lotus to aquaplane severely at 50mph.

Plus a GS(A) without round shoulder tyres is just plain wrong.

Agreed. I have Nankang as spare. When I got my GS it still was on the original tyres. Cracked sidewalls and tread as hard as a Glesga polis. Stopping with them in damp was interesting. I suppose it could be argued that the Nankangs in this case would be safer, but the car would never be right in a way. Plus square shoulder tyres would screw up the centre point geometry.

Michelin £100 per corner. Nankang 40 per corner. Money could swing it for a lot if people.

The 'kit car' dash was on lhd cars, too. It was the 'sporty' option (and fitted to Birotors). IIRC early GSA's had the earlier, rhd 'kit car' but soon moved over to the PRN dash...

Very rare now. I’ve fitted my 2cvs with the green and blue warning lamps from them.

Agreed. I have Nankang as spare. When I got my GS it still was on the original tyres. Cracked sidewalls and tread as hard as a Glesga polis. Stopping with them in damp was interesting. I suppose it could be argued that the Nankangs in this case would be safer, but the car would never be right in a way. Plus square shoulder tyres would screw up the centre point geometry.

Michelin £100 per corner. Nankang 40 per corner. Money could swing it for a lot if people.

Can you get Toyo in the right size. I’ve 135x15 on the 2cv and it handles ok. Not quite as good as Michelin. But better than firestone ever were. And you can get a set of five for less than two Michelins!