Stolen 2cv

richardmorris

It wasn't me!

I know it’s not your thing at all, but perhaps will empathise with the loss of a loved car owned for more than two decades. We’ve had this blue one for 22years next month.

As with many in the club, we’ve had the cars since you could buy a running motd example for less than £100. Now the scumbags are pinching them because they’re worth thousands.

Just spread the word please.

Collect the agreed value payout and buy another one, or any other car that takes your fancy.

I do acknowledge it's always shit when one's stuff gets pinched, though, but in the end it's just a car.

What I will forever fail to understand is why it's cars like this that get nicked.

You get how much for them? 2 bags when hot max, if that. Or flog the parts over a period of how long?

That '58 Benz 190SL ringing kit offered on eBay tempts me much more. That's 50k profit in one go,

if you make it numbers matching and add history even more.

Didsbury is around the corner, so yes, I will be on the lookout, but I'm afraid in vain.

The ringing operations are more likely headquartered out in the country somewhere and I have no

connections into that scene.

If that big white Transit was suspicious, did someone make a note of its reg?

I do that with suspicious cars/vans around here.

I’ve no idea why one would be nicked either- I certainly wouldn’t buy one now. I thought they started being overvalued £ wise in the 2000s.

Ours is on an agreed value, but money isn’t always the point- especially in 2cv circles.

Also I think it’s a daily car- so no agreed value policy.

I also think they’re worth more whole than in parts so breaking a good one isn’t going to make sense. Very odd really. Also annoyingly it’s got to be someone reasonably familiar with them - the ignition, handbrake lock and gear change would stop most thieves in their tracks.

Edit. This reminds me I must increase the value when the renewal is due.

Collect the agreed value payout and buy another one, or any other car that takes your fancy.

I do acknowledge it's always shit when one's stuff gets pinched, though, but in the end it's just a car.

In this very materialistic world, it's easy to throw away/loose/flog stuff. I find it refreshing when people do get attachment to things. It may only be "just another car" but it's someone's car and means more to someone than its monetary value. Buying something to replace it will never fully match.

Personally I think Mr Bean's anti-theft measure of taking the steering wheel with him was extremely sensible! Modify the column-to-steering wheel fitment to something very very unusual and even if they carry a generic steering wheel to the job, they won't be able to get it fitted. They will then get pissed off and piss off, and your car will still be safe!

How easy is it to convincingly riing one of these? I bet its been stolen to order for someone who has an identical but fucked example that they can't be arsed to restore.

Take number plates off, drill out the two rivets on the vin and the engine number. Only the very early chassis themselves were actually stamped.

I can’t believe an existing 2cver would steal a car to ring though. Maybe some unscrupulous git who found one in a scrapyard?

Take number plates off, drill out the two rivets on the vin and the engine number. Only the very early chassis themselves were actually stamped.

I can’t believe an existing 2cver would steal a car to ring though. Maybe some unscrupulous git who found one in a scrapyard?

Sadly scumbags aren’t limited to any one make. The 2cv world seems better than most but there are shitbags in all awalks of life. Hope it gets found safe.

I can’t imagine a joyrider would steal a 2CV unless they were channelling Jacques Mesrine - they wouldn’t know how to change gear for a start.

That’s exactly what I thought, I also feel very sorry for the long term owner of the vehicle and hope it does get returned. Classic cars getting nicked does seem to be on the increase, I keep both of mine garaged and remove a few essential to get moving parts when left garaged.....

Personally I think Mr Bean's anti-theft measure of taking the steering wheel with him was extremely sensible! Modify the column-to-steering wheel fitment to something very very unusual and even if they carry a generic steering wheel to the job, they won't be able to get it fitted. They will then get pissed off and piss off, and your car will still be safe!

More likely they'll vent their frustration by vandalising the car.

I don’t exactly live in a dump (although I don’t live in the best bit of Cheltenham by any means) but I wouldn’t leave any 1980s or earlier car parked on the street overnight. Sadly the fact that the average ‘heap’ (e.g. a 15 year old Focus or Astra) is comparatively hard to steal means classics are very vulnerable.