lesapandre

Old Tools - what do you have?

My old Palec multimeter, found by my Grandpa down a coal mine many years ago231f381c2f1ae314e103e2fdf71df411.jpg

It used to work, but I think the batteries inside it are knackered

That upstages my meter. I use an AVO 8 MK V at work.

Loads of old shit an ex war surplus 1940s black and decker drill thar has been converted into a pedestal drill (by my  grandad god rest his soul), Boxes full of gedore and britool some proto snap on etc.

Loads of funky little AF/whit spanners.. 

One thing that i see all the time even being given away on schpock bumtreee etc. is Gordon or bedford spanners! Its as if sheffield never stopped churning them out theres an awful lot about!

4 or 5 pairs of record big stilsons, Genuine MOLE grips in various states of repair.

Im a mechy fitter by trade and while it may seem less than salubrious to some most lads in the trade never really bought tools, a certain contracting company left a cabin full of tools on an unnamed site full of unior spanners it may* have got cleaned out by the lads (one chap even cutting into his coat to make a huge pocket for the 50mm combis!) You can spot ex refinery gear my the red/yellow paint down the centre of a spanner btw!

(Though things do get liberated from big sites half inching another blokes tools makes you scum)

My grandads comprised of two fitters (down pit and food industry) and my other was a pipefitter.. So ive ended up sharing out 3 blokes lifetime tool accumulation with my dad who also has a load of tools then ive got a load! So yes we love tools here! 

Elora? Their Hex-drive was quite popular for a short while. It is possible to get hex-to-square and square-to-hex adaptors too. I have one somewhere but no clue where at the moment..

I've seen this too, but it was an old Britool set being sold by a retired Agri-engineer. Was equivilent to a 3/4" drive set today. 

Got a number of King Dick adjustables, they are almost indestructable (as are my old Bahco's), much better feel than a new one today. The other thing is that while they may be found rusty and shitty, a bit of cleaning and attacking with a wire wheel has them coming up with a beautifully Gunmetal-ish finish.

I've had a big bunch of old tools given to me recently while helping clear a relatives house, one was an old Britool 1/2" ratchet, probably older than me, rather rusty and seized. Once dumped in cheap white vinegar for a couple of days, stripped, cleaned, detent ball unstuck, lubed and reassembled - a perfect ratchet, looks like it was bought last year. Similar thing with several pairs of Stilsons, same path & result. 

Love old hand tools, never tire of restoring them.

I've seen this too, but it was an old Britool set being sold by a retired Agri-engineer. Was equivilent to a 3/4" drive set today. 

Elora is west german if i recall good gear.. ive got a 1960 copy of car mechanics and an elora socket set back then was about a months wages to a bloke!

Yet some people would just think ''eh rusty old socket set?!'' and skip the lot..

I rescued an Ingersoll Rand Impact wrench,Loads of assorted chisels, some big pry bars and a box of what must of been 50 footprint hole punches in a full range of sizes from the scrap bin at my old work, They even lobbed a ridgid pipe threading machine in!!!! I couldnt get that home though :( we are at peak pointless wasteage in the west IMHO.

Elora stuff is very good quality, I've a few of their adjustables and spanners.

It's strange to think and hard to accept how much cheaper tools are these days, as you say, in the 50's and 60's, a set of quality spanners was over a weeks wages for an apprentice.

Talking Elora... I was in a Halfrauds about 10 years ago and looking at the socket sets an old gent walked up to me and asked if I wanted a socket set, unsure I said yes and he said come to my house in an hour and you can have mine.. Hello I thought, being picked up by a bloke 50 years older than me, I'm straight and Married.... fuck it, I thought, there's free tools in it for me, so I went.. He was very apologetic when he handed me a 1960s Elora 1/2 inch socket set in it's original tin box, complete except for a single socket missing... Bloody 'ell I thought, lets not take the piss, so I offered to buy it off him, he gave me the socket set purely because I offered to buy it.. Sometimes it pays to be honest.. I did have to think of why I hadn't been at work for over 2 hours, I got away with it.. kept my job and got a fantastic socket set.. A very good day..

I’ve got an old snap on wrench similar to the one in this photo. Which is also pretty similar to the one in original post. I found it in my wife’s grandad’s shed years after he had passed away. From serial number it dates to the 1940’s and was army issue which tied in as he had been in the military.

After it was cleaned and oiled it works perfectly. I use it a lot and it just feels right in your hand. Well balanced and solid without being too heavy.

post-20188-0-32185100-1519767130_thumb.png

Turned out the ignition timing on my Skoda was miles off when I got it - using that to set it up was a lot less tedious than it would otherwise have been.

...Meant I looked like I knew what I was doing too!

Just wish I had the CO% meter module for it as well, as that would be really useful!

Ahhhhh Crypton tuning! That was the thing back in the day. Goes like stink noo, just been Crypton tuned!! How times have changed. All remaps and laptops now.

I’ve got an old snap on wrench similar to the one in this photo. Which is also pretty similar to the one in original post. I found it in my wife’s grandad’s shed years after he had passed away. From serial number it dates to the 1940’s and was army issue which tied in as he had been in the military.

After it was cleaned and oiled it works perfectly. I use it a lot and it just feels right in your hand. Well balanced and solid without being too heavy.

That ratchets a beaut!

I'm a big beliver in decent tools and as I don't have the cash for fancy new sets almost every tool I have is second hand, A legacy of many car boot sales, Autojumbles and boat jumbles from the last 8 or 9 years.

I began by buying anything cheap but in the end focused on British & West German brands. I aimed to buy stuff that had'nt been abused for around 50p per spanner or socket but would always spend more for larger sizes or rarer items. Over the years I've managed to get some really nice stuff for not mega amounts of money.

I should really sort out a few photos next time I'm tidying up the garage!

Meanwhile I can offer a photo of some imperial drill bits....

773.jpg

I've always thought the Avo Model 7 is more suited to automotive work than the Model 8.  Model 40 even better if you can find one.

As for hand tools, I'm a sucker for quality hand drills. 

Of the English makes, I have a Stanley 803, a couple of Footprints with keyed chucks, a Qualcast, a little Leytool and a Leytool Major (alas without its breastplate attachment)

My favourite has to be the fabulous Millers Falls No2 - it's as useful as it is beautiful.

But I do have a soft spot for big fancy hand drills with 2 or 3-speed gearboxes - Millers Falls, Goodell-Pratt and Yankee all made good ones.

Then there's bit braces...

Tidied these up yesterday as I had been working outside and the snow had stopped play. A large pair of Footprint tinsnips and Elliot Lucas pliers and needle nose.

All ordinary tools but good quality and no more than a pound or two each, I don't think new stuff would be nearly as good unless you spent some serious dough.

post-18107-0-68182500-1520084385_thumb.jpg

I love old tools, the quality is better than most modern equivalents so you know that they will get the job done and, with some basic care, last forever.

Here's the latest addition to my toolbox, very kindly donated by Mr Cros of this parish :

post-17318-0-61555400-1520087254_thumb.jpg

In an occasional series of buys is this adjustable spanner. Its about 20cm long, beautifully engineered - no play in jaws. Marked LNER  - so railway use of some kind - on the footplate perhaps?  Didn't realise it was LNER 'till I looked at it closely now. Any ideas?

post-20142-0-46610000-1521190833_thumb.jpg

post-20142-0-51480900-1521190852_thumb.jpg

post-20142-0-85541700-1521190867_thumb.jpg