Mally's Stock Cars, Bikes,Life, and Yaris happenings.

Mally

11 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

you under motorsport uk scroots now??? they apply the letter of the rules down to the last comma

NASA

https://www.national-autograss.com/_files/ugd/53f0e6_58c9f75ae3c54cc192e5e276844d1d52.pdf

There's a lot more to it than this though, this is just one section of the rules.

There are additional class one rules for us.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the long Winter break.

Car is ready to go. We have blue tag and red tag (eventually) failed the red  as well as the blue.

Car conformed to rules as written, but did not conform to rules as inside Scrutineers head.

Water under the bridge.

I took a photo today,  but a black car inside a black Garage doesn't work well. I'll maybe bring it outside tomorrow.

Have had a practise session at Scunthorpe with 4 different drivers, it seems to go OK.

Racing was cancelled last week, First meeting is York next Sunday all being well.

I took advantage of the good weather and started stripping down the next Yaris.

IMG_0460.jpg.3e33b5a9b94f8ead9120ac0f7045ad85.jpg

To remove the heater you need a 10mm socket and a phillips screwdriver.

It helps if you also have a crowbar, angle grinder, hacksaw and hammer.

The heater is as big as the engine!

IMG_0465.jpg.7190ffc1b4bf004603c751e524ccb30d.jpg

We have had an airbag recall from Yaris for both cars. Shrapnel in the bag or something such.

I let one airbag off a couple of days ago and still have 3 loaded ones in my garage.

I suppose I need to tell them to collect, but not replace.

That's it for now, a photo of completed Black car may show up soon.

IMG_0470.thumb.jpg.4ef6f50d810c5b7a8b2fb20e29bd03fa.jpg

Black one is us 788. You may think its a little poor in presentation compared to some  others. 

We were going for £400 vinyl graphics, but the delay caused by failing the blue tag,  and the fact that you had to have numbers on for a red tag, meant no time.

So a good friend supplied what we have at a days notice for free.

Our first Autograss meeting, Sun 3 April. Was going to York, but it was cancelled, so went to Scunthorpe instead.

Only Ste and his wife Hannah racing today, our junior racers are otherwise engaged.

Ste first heat, Its about 8 cars abreast, rising elastic gate like Speedway, draw for grid, very fair.

We are outside, worst spot. You can't cross over until past halfway down the straight.

By the end of the straight he's in second place, runs in the back of the leader, accidentally of course, not allowed to bump. Our engine cut out stopped, oh dear!

Turns out a wiring  plug pulled out when he bumped, we replaced the plug, cable tied it together, live and learn.

Ste second heat, missed it, you have to line up 3 heats early, and Hannah had just finished, so fill petrol etc, miss line up. New to this, harder with 2 drivers.

I'm in van watching kids, nothing to do with me.

Ste 3rd heat all good, finished second.  Not qualified for final, end of meeting for him.

Hannah however, in her first race for around 15 years.

Won all 3 heats, won Ladies Class One final, got trophy! Going  again next week she says.

It must be said, there were a lot of beginners in her class, which helps, but a wins a win, she is also a beginner, and 4 wins is  good by any measure.

Slightly dented front wing, pulled it out,  good to go. again   It's easy so far.

Next week Yorkshire Dales, or wherever is on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yorkshire Dales cancelled, so off to Scarborough Autograss last Sunday.  Never  been before.

Straights are flat, but one higher then the other, so one bend is downhill the other bend uphill.

3 heats,  8 highest points qualify for final.

Ste, second in first heat. Disqualified in heat 2, for spinning a car (no contact allowed).

He was passing said car round the outside when it turned left to stop him coming. You are supposed to brake. Ah well!

No points means no chance of qualifying for final.

Surely no one would get spun on purpose. (means a re run without us, but spun car is back in the running).

Heat 3, very good race,  lots of side swiping  going on, we have bumps on ever corner,  and down one side. Car is no longer pretty.

Red flag, race stopped, 4 drivers including us, admonished for 'over enthusiastic racing' come on lads its a sunday drive not a scrap.

Result stands, but don't do it again.  4th I think, But good to watch.

Hannah in the Ladies race, 7 or 8 cars, much higher opposition than last week, and had difficulty down hill.

Go fast downhill pushes you towards the fence at the straight.

6th in first heat, 4th in second and third heat.

There are two very fast cars, and one around our speed.

Ste says to her, 'set off fast and keep going.' If you get to the first bend in third place you will stay there and get a trophy.

She sets off, keeps going. Get's to the bend in first place with the fast ones either side of her half a car behind.

I'm in front, that's not the plan! Dabs the brake, other 2 fly past, follows them round, gets 3rd place and a trophy.

Probably did the right thing for a beginner, but next time don't dab the brake.

North Wales next weekend if it's on, one of my grandchildren are  racing  our car too.

I may not report every week, it's much  more refined than the Stock car, superficial damage only so far, and  less remedial happenings.

I'm making a steel fuel tank this week for next years car to pass the time.

Never believe f/b.

Report this morning Junior banger driver killed. at..........photo of car etc....

Does happen, but very, very rare. Makes you think though.

Turns out to be true in the first part, but knocked of his bike, nothing to do with racing.

Is Scarborough Autograss  Hunmanby?  Raced there once in the bangers and its a rough old track. Complete contrast to Scunthorpe which was my favourite track. Excellent track preparation and pretty much flat out on the rev limiter  all the way.  That was until we fitted modified Sunny Automatic ECUs to our Primeras.  No rev limiter and on Nissans the engine is over the inside wheel so loads of grip compared to the Hondas. Happy days

Excellent read - the work going into these looks mental. Hat doffed.....

Bit late  - but use the aibags as garge/house protection - they should be marked 'front towards enemy'

The drtivers are doing well ..... I'll drop a vid of the Belgian racing once I get to the next one over here. I take it the classes go up to the special bodied bike engined racers etc... too.Some awesome machinery on display,

1 hour ago, primeradoner said:

Is Scarborough Autograss  Hunmanby?  Raced there once in the bangers and its a rough old track. Complete contrast to Scunthorpe which was my favourite track. Excellent track preparation and pretty much flat out on the rev limiter  all the way.  That was until we fitted modified Sunny Automatic ECUs to our Primeras.  No rev limiter and on Nissans the engine is over the inside wheel so loads of grip compared to the Hondas. Happy days

After our sat nav getting us lost, we ended up going towards Hunmanby, so I Imagine the same place.

Track was good tbf, but loose on top Scunthorpe was more tightly packed ground.

1 hour ago, Back_For_More said:

Excellent read - the work going into these looks mental. Hat doffed.....

Bit late  - but use the aibags as garge/house protection - they should be marked 'front towards enemy'

The drtivers are doing well ..... I'll drop a vid of the Belgian racing once I get to the next one over here. I take it the classes go up to the special bodied bike engined racers etc... too.Some awesome machinery on display,

Yes bike engined special for next year is the plan, F600 I think, which is very much the cheaper end of our Specials.

Know  nothing about them. I did build a Ford rear engined Special 50 years ago.

So 2 cars next year. Good job they changed the B+E back, Hannah can tow her own. I won't be around for ever.

I wish I'd taken a photo of the damage on the back. He's knocked it out with a Copper hammer and sprayed it. Looks like new* again now.

4 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Hope I'm not alone, but I find this stuff more interesting than Formula One. I mean the Grand Prix type, obviously. 

Racing is racing, If you are competing  the excitement is the same at any level.   Only difference is the cash, although some oval racers spend mega money.

Ben Howard, chief mechanic for Williams used to race F2 Stock cars with us, hired our car once. Now racing Brisca F1 when he's not elsewhere in the World.

Probably around 2K in our Yaris.

Did you ever race at Leicester Stadium? Very near where I live. Closed in 1984.Went to the last Formula 1 meet, took the oldest lad who's 42 now. Took a lot of photos, but can't find them.Used to be quite fascinated by the mysterious northern places the drivers mostly came from,and the fact that the World Champion probably had a skip hire company in Cleckheaton. Happy days, I can taste the hot dogs made with proper sausages to this day. 

2 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Did you ever race at Leicester Stadium? Very near where I live. Closed in 1984.Went to the last Formula 1 meet, took the oldest lad who's 42 now. Took a lot of photos, but can't find them.Used to be quite fascinated by the mysterious northern places the drivers mostly came from,and the fact that the World Champion probably had a skip hire company in Cleckheaton. Happy days, I can taste the hot dogs made with proper sausages to this day. 

Never raced Leicester, but like you watched F1 there.  Used to be many Northern tracks,

Belle Vue x2, Nelson, Rochdale, Manchester White City, Stoke, Doncaster,  Kirkby, New Brighton, Salford,  Newcastle upon Tyne, Sheffield. I raced all those.

Bolton, my son raced there age 11,  Blackburn,  Hartlepool , Aycliffe. Bound to have forgotten a few.

Not many left now.   I'm going to Bradford ,Odsal on Saturday watching Brisca F1.

• 2 months later...

Bit boring this going round in circles without crashing, but much less damage.

I now have some damage to report.

Ste's wife Hannah picked me up at the Airport Fri night, and I called to see the Grand kids.  Racing's on at Scarborough Sunday, but they are going Sat.

Pub tea and camping over.

Vans not repaired yet so using my Saab and a tent.

Whilst I'm there, and  not for the first time, Hannah walks into an open door and breaks 2 toes. Much screaming and throwing up later, she points them in the right direction and sticks a plaster round them. This is at least the 4th time it's happened. She knows the score by now.

So, what we doing now then?   Scrub Sat turn up Sun morn, Still driving. 

You sure, yea it only hurts for a fortnight, then they mend.

So today, I tow the Yaris with my Saab. Ste drives Hannah's car with her and the kids.

Ste wins one, Hannah is hobbling badly, but racing well.

Then as Hannah is passing a car, it turns into hers, hits the front wheel, which drags the steering wheel out of Hanna's hands.

NEVER grab a loose revolving steering wheel. People tell you, but you can't stop yourself.

Hand in spoke usually breaks fingers, hand, or wrist. Luckily she's only  got a large lump, blood blister and sore fingers. Everything seems to work.

That it for today then?  No I've told the kid's I'm winning a trophy.

Goes in final and finishes 2nd place.

Ste also got 2nd in final, first time hes won a trophy since we started Autograss,

Still no damage to Car. Damage to Hannah 1 foot. 1 hand. Shes a lot braver than I used to give her credit for.

Two day meeting next week. Lincolonshire somewhere I think. Hand may be better, foot won't, but going regardless.

Van is promised to be ready, but who knows.

Used to have a guard over the spokes on the Stock car wheel.

I wanted to put one on the Yaris, but he said they can't hit the wheels with wings on.

Guard will be on before next meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been going around and around without much hassle.

Until this weekend. North Wales Autograss. Racing Sat/Sun.

I didn't go Saturday, but Granddaughter Evie rolled it on it's side. Little damage to car, no damage to driver, all is good.

I turned up to watch on Sunday. Ste came second in first race.

Grandson Rory was driving today. Rory and Evie are my eldest sons twins, age 13 could be 14?  dunno.

They use the car from time to time. Son Ian may buy them their own when something turns up, but it's easier to jump in ours.

Slight altercation with another car, a 10 year old driving  a Mini (proper mini).

Attacked our front wheel  side on. Other side of our car was against Armco.

Result 2 badly bent bottom arms. Toe in is about 12". Maybe bent legs as well.

End of racing for us. Hannah not happy, didn't even get a drive.

Bottom arms ordered. They are notoriously bad to remove. The bolts came undone but wouldn't pull out.

Have slotted the subframe holes with angle grinder to save cutting the bolts.

Forgot to take my phone. Photos may appear later if I remember.

Ian is footing the bill so fair do's.

15 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Are you ever at events up here in the North East?

Give me a shout if you are. I'd love to have a watch.

DL8 2 RE is closest I think. We have been this year, but not sure it will happen again. They don't decide until the week before.

Edit, We do Filey too sometimes.

I'll bear you in mind Paul.

Photos as promised.

For some reason bolts unscrewed from captive nut, but no amount of pulling would get them out. so notch the subframe smash the bolt out in the vice, weld the bit back in.

1827675605_IMG_0538(1).thumb.jpg.310be20b452b682f8d69970a8aeee35d.jpg

Arms for comparison, new and old. Ball joints are at slightly*  different angles I thought the old ones  must be rusty, but they look quite new.

IMG_0540.jpg.4e85aaf07ecc780e66344bec7bf556c3.jpg

It's mostly back together now. Not the easiest job I've ever done.

"2 new bottom arms, 2 new struts.  £200.

Needs tracking, and bent strut has damaged brake pipe under wing, probably change that tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll stick this here for now under my 'life' part of the topic

It may well appear elsewhere in a separate  heading as things develop.

An event has occurred, totally my own doing, with no outside involvement. (apart from a concrete ramp in the shadow of a tree sticking out 3 feet in the roadway, when  I was 2 feet from the kerb).

I have badly (totally) torn my shoulder ligament on holiday abroad.

Managed to get myself on a plane a couple of days after the event, had little sleep during that time, and along with my D in L, spent from midnight last night direct from the Airport until 9am this morning at  Oldham Royal.

Google says it's  an injury often suffered by mechanics, I've been a mechanic /engineer for 66 years. But the damage is to my left shoulder (impact with road), and  not my right shoulder, as you would expect through wear.  

Which is good as I can still use my right hand, and my legs are fine.

Long term thing, may get easier as we go. next appt 10 days or so. tbc.

I know there are medics on here, and may be other sufferers. I will be asking for advice.

I have good family help, my son is fitting an extra stair hand rail just now, but I'm very, very independent.

I've no regrets, something was bound to happen at my age. 

So first question.

They have supplied me with a sling to immobilise the arm. It's Promedics LSS/10. It's well padded, but there's no way I can fit it myself at the moment, and I find it uncomfortable.

Anyone a suggestion for an easy to self fit sling that would suffice?

Have you tried buttering  bread with one hand? I only need to poke the end of my finger out to hold the slice to meet my needs.

I actually find that resting my thumb in my pocket is really comfortable, but probably frowned on by the medics.

No driving for around a month until some use comes back,  my left arm  does work at a low level, but I can't raise it high, strength is not too bad.

I have a little chest bruising, which hopefully will settle.

Getting out of bed is hard, but it's a four poster, so 2 belts linked round the top rail help.

Painkillers make things much better, but I'm told to use them as little as possible.

Future likely to be small auto, I know they are sort after, but I'm in no rush.

Don't go overboard with your sympathy. I was doing what I wanted to do, and I'd still do it now if  I could.

TDLR

Trikes at Sunny Beach are great, but Dangerous.

Which is why I  was on one.

8 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Were you near the end of your holiday? Think we all have "bloody hell, that were close", moments and most of the time we get away with it unscathed.But not always. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. 

Happened last Thursday night, my final ride, I'd had a few goes during my stay. Was booked to fly home today (mon), but got a flight on Saturday for £100.

Figured the sooner in the UK the better.

I have dangerous sports insurance, but when I read it, it says something like 'does not cover anything which the local council/authority may consider an unsuitable activity.

Which to me is exactly what these electrical devices fall under.

I'm fortunate that apart from scraped elbows I have no visible injury. Could have wiped my face/me out!

Flying around on a board, electrically propelled, age 76, c'mon you must be a stupid man😀

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, Dobloseven said:

Just realised what you meant by a trike. Like a board with a seat on a post and two little wheels at the back.Was imagining something bigger. Looks fun though! The land train at Bridlington was exciting enough for me! 

That's the one, you stand up when you are really good*.

Acceleration is rapid, do 30 mph easy in my estimation. possibly more when you are flying through the air.