Mally's Stock Cars, Bikes,Life, and Yaris happenings.

Mally

No, Wayne lives very close, I scrounge bits from time to time.

Chassis is TLF, Paul Mews, used to weld for Randall, but they fell out a few years back.

Took us 6 hours to pick the Chassis up, I could have carried it from Waynes.

It's each to their own, my son likes Randall/TLF.

Rob Mitchell at TMR is a great bloke. I'd use his, but my sons the driver, and he pays.

To be fair I get on with them all.

Dave Polleys car was my favourite.

We built our own in 6 weeks and won in it, but its easier letting someone else do the donkey work.

Been busy, but the photos don't show much.

Exhaust on, bonnet cut to fit.

post-20532-0-73474500-1546371472_thumb.jpg

Needs a bit more gap to allow for movement.

Ecu in, dash done, fuel pump, battery, transponder, all wired up ready to go.

post-20532-0-92762800-1546371648_thumb.jpg

When shockers are removed, diff must not hit seat. (safety issue), ie axle hits chassis before diff hits seat.

This can cause problems.

Seat's clear.

But not yet hit chassis.

post-20532-0-32201600-1546372068_thumb.jpg

You are allowed to fit a bump stop between axle and chassis.

At the moment it's that, or raise the seat and get a shorter driver

Should be a steel plate under the seat, but it's lost at the moment.

post-20532-0-97398000-1546371607_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-82198000-1546371742_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-37027100-1546371944_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We now have bump stops on the axle, Minor bump stops as it happens. Prop cannot at the moment, hit the seat. Result!

Also Brumm, Brumm.

Have to take my word for it, but it runs, pretty much ready for paint now. We often do our own, but time is of the essence.

As I knew there would be a break for me now, and I need to keep busy, I booked a Holiday. Sort of free, (refund due to wife's passing).

Mistake maybe, as other things caused a change in the Title, and brought more work.

post-20532-0-86140600-1547316042_thumb.jpg

Not allowed to put Stock car in the rain so working outside.

Minor problem

post-20532-0-90282100-1547316179_thumb.jpg

Spare bits

post-20532-0-79263200-1547316282_thumb.jpg

New bits

post-20532-0-25456200-1547316361_thumb.jpg

It's tacked together now. Unlikely to get any further for a while, need the trailer back.

Will ask my son to weld it up while I'm away. Don't hold your breath.

Other side needs doing as well, but not urgent unless I attack it with a screwdriver.

• 4 weeks later...

Been on holiday for a while.

Things are coming together slowly, weather not helping.

Minor done for now, still needs wheel cylinder, front hub bearings and a few* other chassis bits.

post-20532-0-12910000-1549624529_thumb.jpg

Stock car spares under manufacture, some we use a jig, others a tape measure and guess,

Most bars are adjustable so near enough is good enough at times.

post-20532-0-54112400-1549624714_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-53108500-1549624753_thumb.jpg

Unashamed ad on bonnet.

post-20532-0-46589000-1549624873_thumb.jpg

We have booked to race in Holland, 26/27 April.

Just got an International Driving permit from P Office, may need, because Brexit.

Will post full photos of paint job when the wind and rain stops.

Photos of the finished F2 are lost in Cyberspace.They may land eventually.

Meanwhile carry on with the Minor.

Slight crack in X Member.

post-20532-0-93375400-1550072668_thumb.jpg

I always thought these were a substantial item.

Turns out they consist of 2 ] [ sections back to back with a flat strip welded along the bottom.

Mine is split on one side only. The big nut holds the torsion bar, the washer locates in a large hole.

When I make and fit a re enforcing plate I need to turn the washer down so it will still reach the locating hole.

Fortunately. a wheel stud is ideal for a mandrel.

post-20532-0-70261300-1550073193_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-95407400-1550073254_thumb.jpg

New plate.

post-20532-0-44793200-1550073325_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-63655900-1550073377_thumb.jpg

You will note that i am no longer the welder I once was. I did go over a few missing bits when I saw the photo.

post-20532-0-49887700-1550073637_thumb.jpg

Have fitted a rubber hose over the brake pipe to stop it chaffing.

Still got a small hole in the floor but not structural, I'll do that tomorrow maybe.

Edit, Yeah fuel can. left myself wide open there.

Mind you the Minor tank was closer.

Yes bit of a distance from us Russell, have bought bits from Warren RIP in the distant past.

Sells very cheap bits Russell it must be said.

Mally, rumours of Warrens demise were greatly exaggerated. He was alive today when I saw him in Seaham where he now lives. Perhaps you were thinking of his brother Gerald (ex No 250 in F1 ) who sadly died a couple of years ago.

Photos vanished so took some more, not as good but tough.

post-20532-0-25188100-1550277969_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-48630500-1550278006_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-48663500-1550278056_thumb.jpg

post-20532-0-48645500-1550278089_thumb.jpg

All paint and signs by Dom Davies.

Thanks to all our sponsors, whose contributions paid for much of the paintwork.

Supposedly doing all meetings bar one this year, the one we miss is because we are doing 2 in Holland.

So 39? Shale meetings in all. Can't see that happening.

March dates

2nd Kings Lynn

16 Northampton

17 Stoke

23 Mildenhall

24 Belle Vue

30 Stoke

That F2 stuff looks to me a lot more complicated than the F1 stuff I used to do. It also looks like it's a lot more expensive to run.

I built 7 (seven) F1s in my life. Yes, I'm the only Austrian that ever was involved in that sport in human history. Number eight was nixed by life, which is just another four letter word, for all I know. Imagine my surprise, when #445 Nigel Green appeared with exactly the car I wanted to build in 1998 - in 2016. I consulted the team during that season and 2017 and everything I suggested was taken on board. In 2017 they won the Euro, the points, the WF, the GH and the GN. Consequently BriSCA banned the car for 2018 and F1 peace, customary for twenty fucking years, was restored. I opted to boycott the series and haven't returned since, and most likely never will. Weirdly, so did a sizeable number of spectators, who witnessed a thing going on that hasn't been going on for decades and they bloody well liked it. Here was a team that actually put some development into the series. It was banned. If you can't beat it, ban it. Signed BriSCA. Decline of spectators and tracks may* be entirely home made, but who would ever voice this? They won't admit it, because they are positive and I am negative.

However, I know a thing or two about going fast counterclockwise around an oval.

In future, I'll concentrate on stuff going straight for a quarter mile, though.

That's where I came from and that's where I'm going. I say Nitro.

BriSCA pissed me off too much.

That F2 stuff looks to me a lot more complicated than the F1 stuff I used to do. It also looks like it's a lot more expensive to run.

I built 7 (seven) F1s in my life. Yes, I'm the only Austrian that ever was involved in that sport in human history. Number eight was nixed by life, which is just another four letter word, for all I know. Imagine my surprise, when #445 Nigel Green appeared with exactly the car I wanted to build in 1998 - in 2016. I consulted the team during that season and 2017 and everything I suggested was taken on board. In 2017 they won the Euro, the points, the WF, the GH and the GN. Consequently BriSCA banned the car for 2018 and F1 peace, customary for twenty fucking years, was restored. I opted to boycott the series and haven't returned since, and most likely never will. Weirdly, so did a sizeable number of spectators, who witnessed a thing going on that hasn't been going on for decades and they bloody well liked it. Here was a team that actually put some development into the series. It was banned. If you can't beat it, ban it. Signed BriSCA. Decline of spectators and tracks may* be entirely home made, but who would ever voice this? They won't admit it, because they are positive and I am negative.

However, I know a thing or two about going fast counterclockwise around an oval.

In future, I'll concentrate on stuff going straight for a quarter mile, though.

That's where I came from and that's where I'm going. I say Nitro.

BriSCA pissed me off too much.

F2 is slowly being brought back towards it's roots, rules are being changed, and new rules introduced, in an attempt to reduce costs. 

The Zetec engine alone reduced our engine costs by 75%. You can't buy a F1 engine ready to win for a grand.

Total cost of a car similar to ours would be around 15K maybe, probably more. Difficult to judge as we had many parts to hand.

We have raced 3 meetings in an F1 and done well.

My son says as a driver there is much more enjoyment racing F2, but not from the crowds point of view.

The escalation of cost in F1 comes with the trick parts from the USA, but mainly the actual size and weights involved.

We raced Rebels for many years, Reliant engine you can lift out, parts ready made, or make yourself, tiny trailer weighing under 750kgs loaded.

Tow it with anything.

Move up to F2, trailer weight becomes a problem, you need a test unless you have grandfather rights, wheels are bigger, engines heavier, most use vans to tow, some have 7.5 trucks.

Move up to F1. Very few use trailers, you need a Bus. Which involves licence, premises to park, fuel costs etc.

In Nigels case a bus, a shuttle trailer, and a group of mechanics larger than the crowd!

It's obvious that these guys in the main have real backing.

You can race and win on a limited budget, and some do. But cash is king.

I've raced F2's inside and outside BriSCA.

The driving experience is the same. You used to get better treated within BriSCA, but those days are gone.

Much of the reason is falling crowds.

I don't put the decline totally at BriSCA's door.

As far as I'm aware, which is not very, was Nigels car not voted down by the drivers in the end?

Nice work on the Minor welding.

Mine had exactly the same bit of chassis leg inc damper link mount done a year or so back, fitted a new damper arm link and bushes at the same time.

Took it for MOT a few weeks later and it got an advisory for play on the damper arm link, or anti roll bar link as it called it. I did note that the lad doing the test can't have been more than 18 (not a criticism, a statement of fact) and had to come get me from the waiting room to move the car off the ramp as he didn't know how to start it (keys were in the ignition and engine warm so no choke required - perhaps he'd only ever used push button start systems).

Maybe the MOT exemption for classics isn't such a bad idea....

• 2 weeks later...

Needed a Power washer, used to just scrape the shale off, but our new found status and new car, require things to look shiny more often. Must be small as not much room in van.

Eldest son has one of these.  https://www.aldi.co.uk/petrol-power-pressure-washer/p/085513245520400?gclid=CjwKCAiAqt7jBRAcEiwAof2uKwtGTm3qS-Tvmxl1nwuOuwSVWsQd8PJdKMNkY1yWDNx2L6EmysA2RRoClHEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good but massive.

Bid on a few Briggs and Stratton, but they go for £200 and look well used.

So out with the angle grinder and we now have this,

post-20532-0-06464800-1551373030_thumb.jpg

Inboard wheels for the win. Fits in the van fine.

I don't really know Dom, only met him when we dropped the car off.

My son Ste heard of him through his banger connections.

Speedy has done our signs for many years and never lets us down. I'd have stayed with him, but It's not my  say.

It is very reminiscent of last years car which we painted and Speedy signed,

Dom did all of this one. It's a very nice job.

First meeting of the season, Kings Lynn, brand new car, pretty much all new, first time we've spent so much.

Cold and windy, but dry. Didn't need the power wash!

First heat, went well, soon got through many cars. Slight kerfuffle on the last bend resulted in finishing second.

Should have won maybe, but got too excited and hit when he should have held back.

Was lucky to bounce off the fence and cross the line.

Quite a bit of damage, but plenty of time before the final.

Final, many yellow flags, much happening, keep going round.

Got up to second place by virtue of cars putting each other out.

Then was in a sandwich and taken into the fence, stalled and couldn't remember where the start button was, new car!

Found it restarted and finished 7th. Quite good that in view of the carnage.

Grand National, had many battles, mostly won by luck. You make your own luck sometimes.

Finished second on a drying track, wrong diff for dry, they always water at Kings Lynn, and this race they didn't.

So good day all round, two seconds and a seventh, 26 points, that's good for a world qualifier. Not that we will be in the World, it's on tarmac, we do shale only.

Wheel guard not fit for purpose, spoilt the body and paint a little.

post-20532-0-06178700-1551614884_thumb.jpg

Front bumper had a bit of action.

post-20532-0-67817800-1551614942_thumb.jpg

Have a big list of work to do but it's in the van somewhere.

Need some leaf springs as below if anyone's any ideas, 60mm wide, approx 12mm thick for wheelguards.

post-20532-0-64020600-1551615091_thumb.jpg

Next meetings16 March Northampton, 17 Stoke.

Have got into trouble with the grandkids, booked a travelodge and they want to sleep in the van.

Forgot to mention.

After the first heat, Ste said it's missing.

Carb had unfixed itself and was bouncing up and down on the studs.

Someone* had used normal nuts until nyloc ones turned up.

Had to fit it temp to manufacture the accelerator linkage. most use cable but we prefer mechanical.

I did such a good job of the linkage I forgot to change the nuts.

• 2 weeks later...