Mally's Stock Cars, Bikes,Life, and Yaris happenings.

Mally

Track is at Brafield, NN7 2BA. Sat 26 th September 5pm.

Unfortunately due to Covid it's pre booked tickets only, and crowd is kept separate from the drivers.

In normal times you just roll up and roam anywhere.

Basically a field in the middle of nowhere, was great in the sun shine, but can be very wet and cold at times. Viewing is good though.

Anyone on f/b, which I'm not a great fan of, but it's useful at times.

You can join ' #lovef2s'.  They often feature videos of the races, sometimes live with commentary when permitted.

• 1 month later...

Sept 26, cancelled rained off.

Meeting report Northampton 24 October. Last shale meeting of the season.

Called at Lyndale engines on the way for a rolling road session. They build engines and rolling road test them. Our engine is much cheaper build,but not tested.

He said max you can get within the rules is 170 bhp. Ours was 164 first go. Swopped a couple of carb jets, 167 bhp.

Said that's it. You will get the other 3 bhp by removing the fan and fitting an electric one, but it will then run hot, so best leave it alone.

Charged us £80, cheapest we have ever had, spent around an hour and a half in total.

Very wet track, went worse as the night went on, should have cancelled this one really.

Heat 1, 3rd.   Heat 2, 2nd.   Final, put in the mud by Dave Polley early on. Two laps behind when he got going again. Finished in 4th place, which gives you an idea of the problems the others were having.

Grand National  cancelled because no cars would turn out.

Absolute  mud bath  all night. Won £20. spent £120 on fuel £80 rolling road £50 pub lunch.

There may be a meeting around  Xmas, but with any luck I'm in Benidorm.

Start again next March. Not doing many meetings next year he says. Definitely last season. Third year he's said that, but likely to happen now,

Little to do except wash it. Will spend next 4 months tidying the garage, it needs it.

Even I've had enough. 54 years involved with racing is enough for anyone.

But if I'm still around in 3 years time the Granddaughters having a go.

• 6 months later...

Nothing happening in our Stock Car world for a good while. First meeting this year for us is Mildenhall 22nd May.

Meanwhile have a throwback item.

17592180_ftsf-80d5fc35-22fe-479c-9d39-42170038ebea(1).thumb.jpeg.20996eb757c8542b7789f495ace552ec.jpeg

Scimitar, dragged out of a London garage after a long rest. Transported by my long time friend Dave Speed to his workshop to be refurbished for my eldest son.

Finished item collected today after much work and a few* complications, and driven Rochdale to Chester without mishap.

Few photos below.

Apologies for f/b I don't like it myself, but it's all the photos I have at present. If anyone has the technology to make them open to all, please do.

https://www.facebook.com/ssgclassics/

As alluded on the for sale/wanted thread, I've bought a Yaris, This is due to hit the grass tracks in 2022. In 2023 my granddaughter will take it over. I've been looking at overpriced crap for 3 weeks until.

PICT0283.thumb.JPG.08ca5e478925b7fe080ad3c8ba00046a.JPG

Someone stole the cat rendering it unusable, to her at least.

However,

PICT0287.thumb.JPG.49614a5da3782ff0c58a90e198e3a798.JPG

It's fine* now.

We have legally whizzed it around, and I could easily sell it now for double.

Granddaughter says, 'can we not buy a rusty one for me to race and save this one for when I pass my test'...(in 9 years time).

So let it stand for a while incase we need a road car, but it's long term future is inevitable.

There are things I can be doing, Fuel tank, battery box.  And other things I don't know how to do, such as-

Wiring loom.  Have been quoted £400 for a plug and play conversion to our loom.  I only paid £300 for the car!

There are clever people, @cobblersmay be one, who understand this sort of wizadry.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome, ECU's are alien to me. 

I wire a battery, to a switch, to a coil. Always worked in the old days.

3 hours ago, Mally said:

Wiring loom.  Have been quoted £400 for a plug and play conversion to our loom.  I only paid £300 for the car!

Mally, If you can give me a couple of weeks I will have a word with some of the banger lads as some are now using the Yaris due to the shortage of Micras. Somebody I know must be able to tell me how to do them. 

40 minutes ago, primeradoner said:

Mally, If you can give me a couple of weeks I will have a word with some of the banger lads as some are now using the Yaris due to the shortage of Micras. Somebody I know must be able to tell me how to do them. 

Thanks, take as long as you like. We won't strip this for a good while, might even buy a worse one and start on that first.

There are some rules involved OBD point has to stay, limp mode has to go,  etc, but we will get to that eventually.

There is cash involved, £400 if it comes to the worst 

52 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks tidy from here. Did you worry about the France vs. Japan-built thing in the end?

I suppose I should check that the Yaris we got today for Miss SL has a cat.......

I bought it from a Chinese lady, asked if she knew where it was made.

She said I don't know, but not Japan!    She was correct, so all good.

I've just been told by NM that  Yaris cats are worth in the region of £130 .

First shale meeting of the season Mildenhall 22 May.

Over 70 cars booked in, Reliants were racing too, around 15 of them and many roll overs were performed.

Crowd was low, had to prebook because Covid. Benefit was short queue at the Chippy.

We were heat 2, with 22 cars.  Started in the back 5 or 6. 

Can't see the flag from the back, so set off when the front row goes. They anticipate a little, and we pass 4 rows before they realise whats happening.  finished in 5th, first 8 qualify, so a good start in more ways than one!

Final, 32 cars. Going well but outside of a bunch. Got dragged down the fence for a fair distance, damaged the steering, damaged a bumper support which flattened the back tyre. No finish.

Hectic repairs before Grand National. 45 cars wanted to race so they split into two races, We were 2nd race, so would have had loads of time had we known. Very fast race, again finished 5th, and well up to speed.

Could have been a lot worse,  I stayed in a Travelodge, which was nice, very cheap and had a Greggs outside that opened at 7am :)

They slept in the van which does not have quite the same comforts of Cobblers van.

Next Saturday Northampton, then having a week off. 

I'm still on the lookout for a spare 1.0 Yaris at the right price if one comes along.

Started stripping the wiring from the Yaris and now, as expected, it won't start.

I'll check the fuses and reconnect a few bits tomorrow maybe.

F2 racing report from Northampton, last night. 29 May.

Good crowd, F1 were on as well as us and Bangers. Started at 4pm, dragged on a bit, we left before the end and got home at 12-30am.

Quiet meeting for us, but consistent.

Heat  6th place.  Final 6th  place, but double points for final.   G/ National  5th place.

Decent points total, and it was a World Final qualifier. No damage, so all good.

Going to Bradford tomorrow watching F1 Stock Cars. First meeting there for 23 years.

Used to go often, but never raced there myself.  Ste will soon.  Awesome place.

Having a week off next weekend. Next racing  for us is 12th July Northampton, 13th July Sheffield.

• 2 weeks later...

PICT0302.thumb.JPG.8e527fc86831e4157be59c0e4206e03f.JPG

F2 meeting Northampton 12th June.

Very sunny and hot, good for watching, bad for engines. 

6th in heat, so qualified for final.

7th in final, but not given in results. Normally you go and complain to the commentary box, but Covid, can't go round there.

We sort the car, Hannah, Ste's wife goes to find an official. Official lady says they are busy in the box, I can't bother them.

Comes out of Office, bumps into Deane Wood., Head honcho. S'cuse me Deane, we were 7th and they haven't given it.

"see the lady in the box"  have done, too busy!

Walks in office, grabs walkie talkie, Deane here, 788 wants his place  behind Mickey Brennan when you have a minute.

20 mins later tannoy announces amended result.

Gets some stick Deane at times, but can be a very nice guy to talk to.

G/N put in the fence very hard by Courtney Finikkin. Good driver from a well Known Stock car family.

They have past history of battles, but nothing recent.

Thought that was it, but some how he set off in chase 4 length behind, caught her up 3 laps later, and spun her.

Not a clue where he finished but justice was done.

Overnight in a very nice Premiere Inn,

Sunday 13th June Sheffield, Fast track, unforgiving fence, had a lot of damage here in the past.

Short on cars, so   do 2 out of 3 heats then all in after that.

3rd, 3rd, 2nd in Final, sided into soft shale in the last race but finished 7th.

Very good meeting with no damage. ( have damage from Courtney episode yesterday, needs front bumper, but we might bodge it.

Car won't start on the button now, spins over but no fire. I blame @Mrs Spart

Goes with a push though.

Next Bradford postponed. I have a meeting with San Miguel in Spain before we race again.

Next meetings for me 17 July Bradford, 18th July Sheffield.

Grass track Yaris is progressing slowly.

PICT0301.thumb.JPG.5afc3acd7d47111e7a50902cfd48eece.JPG

40 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

How old is ste, can't be that old. Race classics on circuits next, know drivers in their 70's doing that

Hes 41. Started in Ministox at 10/11. Went into grasstrack at 12.  Rebels at 18 ish. F2 at 25 maybe.

The idea is to go grass track car racing. His daughter will be old enough in 18 months.

He can race, his wife can race, same car. By 18 months they will know the ropes and daughter will be winning....maybe.

Idea was to start grass next year, but if the F2 goes, it may happen sooner.

He has house alterations half done too. No time/cash for paint and carpets when you spend £150 a week on fuel, and £100 on tyres.

His wife used to sponsor him from her commission selling holidays, that's been stopped for a while.

Grass is  what we as a family did when he was 12.  My late wife used to race/ run the pits/ push the cars.  But I'm out of touch now. 

I've been involved  with racing for 50 years, I'm getting tired.  Hes feeling aches and pains more. 

Actually he has more sense than I thought.

It's more laid back on grass, and less damage.

I'll still spectate at Bradford though, it's mega there.

• 1 month later...

Final F2 reports.

Odsal Bradford, 17th July.

If you only ever go to watch Stock cars once in your lifetime, make sure it's at this place.

Everything about it is mega.

Heat 1, good race, fast track, finished 5th, so qualified for final.

Spun early on in final, someones front bumper hooked in our back bumper, drags you round, nothing you can do.

Once at the back of 30 odd cars it's hard. Went very well but not in first 10.

Didn't do last race because Euros next week.

Northampton European Championship 24/25 July.

The forecast for  thunder/lightening/heavy rain, suited us, but it never happened. Dry both days.

Sat.

Can't remember why, but didn't qualify in heat so went in Consolation.

Slowed for a yellow flag, and was put hard into a parked car by Courtney Finniken, who owed us one, and didn't see the yellow flags.

Ste took his place back in front of her for the restart and as he passed her, wagged his finger.

This was misconstrued by some of the Finniken camp as a different type of hand gesture, which resulted in lively conversations  in the pits after the race. All friends* now though. She really is very good.

Back to the race. There's another yellow with 4 laps to go. We are in 6th place on the line up, Courtney right behind, Ste's mate Richard behind her.

First 6 qualify. Ste has no intention of entering the final, save car for Sun Euro, so pulls off into the centre .

Said after, I know it looks like I'm feared of Courtney, but I thought it might give Richard a chance to qualify.

Sunday, first race European Champion ship. Piles of cars in the fence at both ends on the first lap. Red flags.

We hit the fence side on hard but still going. Then pull off, bonnet of, 3 mins to fix cars before restart.

We fail to restart.

Turns out the plug came out of the ECU slightly and it was only running on 2 and 4.

ECU is wrapped up in foam inside a waterproof box.  Has a clip to hold it together,  but now has 2 cable ties as well, you live and learn.

Car and many spares have gone, garage is empty, bank is full(er).

Need to make space for a Yaris, The sides of the garage have grown inwards.

Doesn't matter with an open wheeled car, but need room to spray a Yaris now.

Smoll car is big.

Anyone want a very old, very heavy , possibly very cheap lathe? I may have to rejoin ebay selling.

Reports from now will likely be in regard to Class one Autograss.

But an Autograss special has been mentioned for the possible future.

Van  needs more beds too. Kids are growing.

I slept across the front seats, which were surprisingly comfortable.

Hes on holiday now. I'm in the garage sorting diffs and things. It's amazing what you can get for bits of old Fords.

I have attended a few grass events over [many...years apart!] Remember heavy cut large tyres on front of minis - wheelbarrow wheels on the back lol :)

Also watched grass 'homebrews' - think Baja @1/3scale - and they go like stink!!

Grass is RACING = no smell of death!

gets my vote 100%

BOL to your venture, m8

;)

• Mally changed the title to Mally's Stock Cars, Bikes,Life, and Yaris happenings.

Small Yaris update. Much time has been spent, but little to show for it.

IMG_0132.thumb.jpg.8b36f54c987e0e3aff9ae88d3d5f4f28.jpg

IMG_0133.thumb.jpg.1d24b3ac455472ba0b6d9ab7ade50e8b.jpg

IMG_0134.JPG.96fba29f4ecfd11b74a30629e0cc316a.JPG

Roll cage needs fully welding by person more competent than me, who will do a good job as his wife and daughter may propel it.

Door bars and skins ready to fit. Loom has gone for modification. Seat belts should be here next week.

By the time I return from my hols it may look like  a car.

Going to be painted all black it's said, wouldn't be my choice, but it will have coloured sticky bits on I suppose.

Be ready before start of season in March, probably have built another by then as well.

• 3 months later...

Been plenty happening, but  too busy to update.

Roll cage finished. You have to have it checked and tagged with a blue tag.

There is also a check for a red tag which happens later. Early Feb it seems.

Intended  to have roll cage checked before paint, but Covid happened, resulting in a week off work for Ste, so paint the cage and spray the car whilst ill.

Followed by roll cage inspection!

We have built a few cars over the years, but failed scrutineering massively.

This should be in the grumpy thread really.

Our interpretation of the rules is not compatible with the bloke who wrote them's interpretation.

Anyhoo, 80% of the roll cage needs removing, new steel to be collected in the morning.

Will leave it at that for now, walls have ears and we still intend to turn out at the first meeting, a few hundred pounds and a weeks extra work but ho hum.