Range Rover P45? - it's hot.

drum

please fix this and love it else this could be a fucking long collexshun drive especially with stops every 3 mileages

:D

Could be epic - a Solihull version of the Vulcan 607 raid on Port Stanley with this Rangey with several others following it to donate parts along the way, dropping out and returning to base* when the useable parts dried up.

*Well, maybe not that bit.

Could be epic - a Solihull version of the Vulcan 607 raid on Port Stanley with this Rangey with several others following it to donate parts along the way, dropping out and returning to base* when the useable parts dried up.

*Well, maybe not that bit.

on a slight aside, fatha thestags mate was one of the first into Port stanley after liberation in a Herc. he said there was evidence that the argies were filling in the huge hole on the run way overnight and then digging it out again before dawn

anyone not read 607 Vulcan book I suggest you do so post haste

607 mission itself was just fucking epic, more to put the fear into the "enemy" that Argentina itself was within target of our bombers

There are lefties of my acquaintance who call these Islands the Malvinas, and insist that Thatcher was wrong to recapture them, mainly because it was Thatcher and not the idiots Michael 'fleet of' Foot or Kinnock who wouldn't have had the bottle.

Apparently we should have left Galtieri's mob to ransack the place and cause the islanders to bugger off sharpish. The Argie soldiers on the ground did not, it appears, behave very well towards the civvies.

There are lefties of my acquaintance who call these Islands the Malvinas, and insist that Thatcher was wrong to recapture them, mainly because it was Thatcher and not the idiots Michael 'fleet of' Foot or Kinnock who wouldn't have had the bottle.

Apparently we should have left Galtieri's mob to ransack the place and cause the islanders to bugger off sharpish. The Argie soldiers on the ground did not, it appears, behave very well towards the civvies.

from what I heard about the argies on south georgia island a bunch of yoghurt knitting lefties could have easily taken them over, sas were not needed.

I kind of got the feeling at the time that the Argentinians didnt expect there to be a challenge.

anyway for getting a sad p45 600 miles south would make 607 planning look like a sunday afternoon picnic. going via ascension might be easier :D

• 2 weeks later...

Shiny new water pump

post-5582-0-35871700-1520806435_thumb.jpg

Cleaning up the old gasket was a PITA.

The block

post-5582-0-40299900-1520806808_thumb.jpg

Oops! Wrong button.

post-5582-0-62180500-1520806656_thumb.jpg

The tensioner pulley is shagged.

The job was going swimmingly, then

post-5582-0-47423000-1520807263_thumb.jpg

Curseword.

I should have backed it off when it started to tighten with an eighth of an inch to go and cleaned up the threads.

That bolt isn't the one that goes into the water jacket so I carried on regardless.

Put everything back together, filled with coolant and let it run for a while.

No leaks yet. Only the drivers side of the radiator heats up and the heater was cold.

Called it a day when mothers day, should be called wife's day, took over.

drum, on 11 Mar 2018 - 10:30 PM, said:

Shiny new water pump

attachicon.gif20180311_163553.jpg

Cleaning up the old gasket was a PITA.

The block

attachicon.gif20180311_171836.jpg

Oops! Wrong button.

attachicon.gif20180311_171927.jpg

The tensioner pulley is shagged.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=

The job was going swimmingly, then

attachicon.gif20180311_174532.jpg

Curseword.

I should have backed it off when it started to tighten with an eighth of an inch to go and cleaned up the threads.

Did it start to unscrew?

I had excellent results removing snapped-off bits of bolt last year with a left-handed drill bit - drill a 3 mm pilot hole into it first, that gives the l/h drill bit something to bite on :-)

post-5091-0-20618100-1503522153.jpg

More info here: http://autoshite.com/topic/29081-extracting-broken-studs/

I thought it was fixed.

Test drive tonight, keeping within a one mile radius of home, just in case.

Temp gauge had come up slowly to normal. Heater was nice and hot. After 5 miles everything was hunky dorey.

I almost pulled in to the drive and declare the problem was solved. Ready to bask in the warm glow of my achievement, so I was.

But I didn't pull in to the drive. I kept on going, looking to see if I could cajole the average mpg readout up to 13.

A mile down the road and the heater starts to blow cold, quickly followed by the temp gauge shooting into the red. Fiddlesticks* I thought to myself.

There was even steam this time.

After a few minutes of gentle pressure release of the cap, I was able to top up with cold water and drive home.

I noticed while waiting on it to cool down that the radiator was stone cold. Thermostat not opening or just empty?

On the way home the heater was blowing hot and, on arrival, the radiator was very warm.

Patience is starting to wear thin. I might try flushing the system to see if lumps if steel seal jelly is floating about. Might take the thermostat off and see if I can drill a big hole through it. Might phone Cartakeback.

Didnt I read earlier that somebody did a snifftest that found gas traces in the coolant? I got one of these off the bay a while back.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Combustion-leak-tester-head-gasket-30ml-fluid-15-tests-Free-P-P-1st-class/272498960992?epid=504540536&hash=item3f72342a60:g:CkgAAOSw9GhYmf2r

s-l500.jpg

It seems to be pretty decent for the money.

I think you might be wasting your time with this....poor circulation due to stat or blockage somewhere is one thing but if its leaking gas into the collant passages, its a different ballgame.

I see there is a new product out there to fix this sort of thing....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elliotts-Gasket-Repair-Seal-Blown/dp/B00KB28AEU

reviews are pretty evenly split on whether it works or not. Its just a crapshoot of how big the failure point is and whether the product, whether this or k-seal or steel seal, can plug it fast enough and not get blown out by the pressure before it hardens.

I dont know how much you are into this for already, but it might be time for cartakeback or a last hurrah with the magic potion of your choice before punting it in the next Thainstone Saturday Sale.

• 3 weeks later...

If any shiter feels inclined to take this on, some info....

It will take you about 8 miles before pressurising and blowing steam. 5 minutes of cooling off and topping up with cold water buys you another 5 miles and repeat or call the BYT. HGF definitely, might be liner drop, might not.

The gearbox works fine in high box but flashes lights in low box. Still drives in low box.

Suspension works as it should.

General Grabbers all round (Not square) with good tread.

Mot and tax.

The closer I can get to £500 the better.

Collect on your way home from shitefest.

on a slight aside, fatha thestags mate was one of the first into Port stanley after liberation in a Herc. he said there was evidence that the argies were filling in the huge hole on the run way overnight and then digging it out again before dawn

anyone not read 607 Vulcan book I suggest you do so post haste

607 mission itself was just fucking epic, more to put the fear into the "enemy" that Argentina itself was within target of our bombers

Still remains one of the best books I ever read, in fact it got me back into reading again after countless years.