Project: Dolomite 1850HL automatic now £1500.

purplebargeken

I have a Pageant Blue Dolomite 1850HL auto for sale. Smart colour and about the best combination in the Dolomite non-Sprint world re: engine and gearbox. The 1850 really suits badermatic transmission. Being the HL means it has the 4 headlights and posher interior.

Interior is black, velour seats are in decent condition. Front parcel shelf has been modified to take speakers and looks pretty good.  Usual combo of wood and so on, funky dials as you would expect.

Engine starts and runs well, twin carb setup. The exhaust needs to be removed and fitted properly. 

Autobox needs to have a drain and refill of fresh fluid. 

The car needs bodywork sorting. The lower front valance is toast and I will remove that for ease of fitment of a suitable replacement panel. The top of the T panel on the O/S needs work too. The Dolomite Club panels are a one piece thing with the top and lower sections anyway.

The doors are pretty much okay and only minor rectification is needed there. Wings are good too. Inner wings and suspension turrets all look bloody solid. 

The boot floor needs repairing, again the Dolomite Club does the panel.

Jacking points/sills will need work, again sills are available.

Boot lid will need tidying up and there are other bits and bobs on the bodywork. Bonnet is good as is the roof panel.

Repairs on these cars are pretty straightforward, I've done them all on previous cars and if I can do them, then anyone can. 

The car is shod with decent tyres and is fitted with Sprint alloys which once given a wipe over are nice. They don't lose air either. Brake system is fine. 

I will get some piccies over the next day or so. I have started to strip the front end down and I will endeavour to continue that as much as a I can.

The value of the small Triumphs is finally starting to rise, after bloody years of not doing anything major. They will never get into the blue oval level of price stupidity. Sprints especially are going for a fair wad but that was always the case anyway.

Price will be around the £1650 mark.

Location is North London and a Turkish lunch or dinner will be included in the deal. 

Piccies to follow.

I'm looking forward to the pics! Pageant blue is by far the nicest and one of the most desirable colours on these.

After having seen it when I went down to help Ken with the 75 a few weeks ago, I can honestly say that it is a really lovely thing. The colour suits it perfectly (don't worry, the 1300 is staying Valencia blue before anyone asks).

When I saw the other thread I immediately thought it had your name written on it, so consider this me saying to get it bought.

External piccies showing the main issues. I will try and get some more later if I can.

20220183_zps3lwksahc.jpg

20220182_zpsnzuvod8e.jpg

20220184_zpsmgivumio.jpg

I have a door if needed but I think repair panels are available. It's more or less a flat section anyway.

20220186_zps07p1buhq.jpg

20220187_zpsaui6rfri.jpg

20220188_zps4qmsdkmc.jpg

The TDC fibreglass front panel is an amazing thing and fits so well unlike previous stuff which was frankly shite.

That is very very nice.

It’s got SiC’s name all over it hasn’t it! I’ll await the collection thread...

Glwts Ken.

It does. 1500HL is the preferred general Dolomite for me for practical purposes, but then the 1850 has more power and a much smoother+quieter engine being OHC. That rattle of OHV isn't something that I particularly love in my MGB. So really a 1850 is where my heart is more at compared to the 1300/1500.

Problem is, there is also a Sprint with my name all over it too. That Sprint needs more work and is substantially more expensive. But its a Sprint man, a SPRINT...

Argh. Dilemmas. :?

It does. 1500HL is the preferred general Dolomite for me for practical purposes, but then the 1850 has more power and a much smoother+quieter engine being OHC. That rattle of OHV isn't something that I particularly love in my MGB. So really a 1850 is where my heart is more at compared to the 1300/1500.

Problem is, there is also a Sprint with my name all over it too. That Sprint needs more work and is substantially more expensive. But its a Sprint man, a SPRINT...

Argh. Dilemmas. :?

1500s are terrible things, with a horribly weak bottom end. 1850 seems a much better bet. Not sure I get the Sprint excitement either...

1500s are terrible things, with a horribly weak bottom end. 1850 seems a much better bet. Not sure I get the Sprint excitement either...

Apparently not too bad as long as you don't hammer the nuts off them. Plus massively simpler to work on. If it is does pop, a tuned 1300 will fit easily, give more power and a stronger lump.

The 1850 is a lot more complex beast. Even just the water pump is a scary thing to replace. This is for the Stag V8, but its the same setup as the slant-4.

Sprint has the extra performance, pedigree and prestige over the other Dolomites and competitors of the same era. Back in a time when British cars out performed their German equivalents (...when they were built properly). As this road test review likes to point out: