Rover 75 spares or repair £175 - needs to be gone by the weekend if possible.

purplebargeken

Okay, thought I'd start this separately from the the roffle thread so as to not confuse me and well, so as not to confuse me more.

Thought it would be a spiffing idea to take the Rover out today after fixeration occured recently. We know the details, so won't repeat.

Started on the button and off we Rovered. Bit of smoke from the exhaust whilst on joiny bit of the M25 but thought that was a good thing as getting rid of any remaining shite caused by the previous issues was anticipated. 

Got to my location and the car was a little erratic on idle, I'd bought some self-healing multi-use tape and secured the glued together vacuum pipe I had ham fistedly snapped whilst recently fixerating. Still doing it despite that and indeed cut out a couple of times pulling up to traffic lights and so on. 

So, WTF?

I will nip up the nuts and so on just in case not quite tight enough now it has had a run. Otherwise stumped.

Well talk about a coincidence. A mate's 2004 318i won't start today. Well, it will but it needs 20 seconds of cranking and a booster pack. Oil and water all okay. Running lumpy, wants to cut out.

So I set to and took the head off, 2 hours of swearing. Head gasket is totally fucked, blown through between 1&2 and 3&4.

I told him it was fucked last year. Even the heap of shit itself said 'I'm fucked'.

It's getting weighed on Monday, sans fuel, fuses, battery and a couple of engine bits.

Fuck these old cars.

Well talk about a coincidence. A mate's 2004 318i won't start today. Well, it will but it needs 20 seconds of cranking and a booster pack. Oil and water all okay. Running lumpy, wants to cut out.

So I set to and took the head off, 2 hours of swearing. Head gasket is totally fucked, blown through between 1&2 and 3&4.

I told him it was fucked last year. Even the heap of shit itself said 'I'm fucked'.

It's getting weighed on Monday, sans fuel, fuses, battery and a couple of engine bits.

Fuck these old cars.

Don't pay a lot, run them then at first sign of shit like that chuck them away.

Okay I will be sparaying carb cleaner around later today/early evening. If it is a simple matter of nipping stuff up then all good and the roffle will continue as it is.

If not, then if anyone wants the car for £!75 which is a couple of drinks more than car take back lot offered then please make your intentions known. First come first served, no hassle. It's better to have a plan in hand via here where someone could fix it or use it to keep another R75 on the road than let the car be crushed. 

So, check with carb cleaner, if good, roffle as normal.

If not good, then £175 gets the car as is as 'spares or repair'.

If no takers on here then car take back

I cannot spend any more cash on the car to fix if beyond just tightening stuff up. Limits and all that.

Thanks folks.

Fuck these old cars.

My A6 had a jammed electronic handbrake this morning. It freed of but at the cost of the switch which decided to break. So this needs fixing as well as why the esp light is on.

From now on it is a new car or a banger and nothing in between.

Okay, sprayed carb cleaner over the inlet manifold and above. Some hissing noise from above, so may just nip various nuts and bolts up. However, the vacuum pipe that I broke has hissing further along the pip too. Maybe the pipe was damaged when moved so much. 

So Rimmers do a new pipe for 33 quid plus the usual or shall I wrap the bugger in that self-healing tape and see what happens?

Okay, sprayed carb cleaner over the inlet manifold and above. Some hissing noise from above, so may just nip various nuts and bolts up. However, the vacuum pipe that I broke has hissing further along the pip too. Maybe the pipe was damaged when moved so much.

So Rimmers do a new pipe for 33 quid plus the usual or shall I wrap the bugger in that self-healing tape and see what happens?

I think you really, genuinely, need to stop and think. And think hard.

If you’re moving it on, then stop chucking money at it. £30 here, £15 there, it all adds up. Money, very sadly, that you’ll never see back.

I’m a car lover, and a rose lensed romantic too. But - some cars just don’t want to live. I’m certain of that. They don’t thank you, they just continue to stitch you up over and over. On the flip side - some cars just want to serve. They’re as loyal as an old lab with a fat head and a grey muzzle.

I think I’d be sending this over rainbow bridge - and I wouldn’t be spending any more money or mental compassion on it. It’s like picking at a scab...:

Lost the original thread but I broke one of those brittle vacuum pipes on the Laguna. Renault wanted the king's ransom and a long wait. Second hand would be just as brittle. I fixed it by cutting it back a bit, shoving a fuel hose inside each side and smearing automotive silicon sealant around it all to seal it. I drove another 8k like that and angle is using it too, completely fault free.

Seemed a bodge at the time, but given that it's worked well and it's lasted, it's not too bad of one. Also these cars aren't exactly concourse classics just yet...

If you have some old fuel hose and some sealant, it should be a cheap/free fix. If you do have it, I'd give it one more chance before it's sent off to the big scrapyard in the sky.

Not sure. I bought a used pipe from eBay for a silly low 'make an offer'. I will chop this up and make a good one out of the two as the non-return valve bit on mine is goosed anyway. Fuck it, it really was only a couple of quid with free postage. I already have some rubber hose. 

Okay, checked all the bolts and nuts, some needed a nip, some not. However, one was fucking missing!! How? I redid everything. Okay, replacement bolt fitted, gently, gently, spin. Vacuum hose deffo leaking. 

No leaks from the inlet manifold though.

Car runs.

Anyone want it for spares or repairs £175 quid. Used good vacuum hose will go with the car.

I have new front disks and pads that will be available too for separate buyage.

I've had enough of it. Need it gone ASAP. 

If no-one is interested then car take back or whatever can have it for £160 minus a couple of bits.

I think i can help.

does it have that digital climate control unit at the bottom of the dash? If this is set to 'auto' and your electric fan has seized then it will cause the engine to hunt. This is due to the engine believing it is removing power for the fan, it doesnt spin, then it gets all confuzzled. turn it to ECO and it will sort it.

for kseries there arent many vac hoses that you need to check, and the most common culprit is the plastic one that goes into the top left of the inlet. Theyre held in place with a round plastic push-fit connector which breaks. I think the brake booster pipe is solid plastic too. A few quid and these can be sorted in a few minutes.

Another common kseries issue is the rubber bung that is sandwiched bwteeen the throttlebody and the inlet - it cracks. Cover it in insulation tape. Second one to check is the flexible hose between the throttlebody and the MAF (i think). This will let in unmetered air.

If all of these are ok and youre 100% sure on the vac hoses check the resistance of the CTS (again, free) as it can cause a lumpy idle. disconnect it for some overfuelling but it should sort it out instantly and let you narrow down whether its at fault. £6 from ebay - but theres two. One is for the gauge and one is for the ECU. Depending on the year they are green or blue - just unplug one and if your gauge still works its the ECU one and the one you need to check.

Ive had a massive amount of these engines and although HGF is common it is very obvious when it goes. Full mayo is obvious, losing coolant doesnt necissarily mean its fucked as it can leak from the inlet gasket and down the block - and evaporate. Otherwise youll see a noticable loss in power on hills, overheating and cold vents in the car.

Lastly is the thermostat working? Halfway temp after a few minutes of driving?

Hi Paul, everything is sound apart from the vac hose which is 100% fucked and the missing stud/bolt from the inlet manifold. The replacement bolt is just spinning. The fan works happily, no other leaks or obvious issues anywhere else. it was running beautifully on the run to my mates, then it wasn't. 

No more effort will be put into this car by me. 

If someone wants it to repair or for spares, that would be better than car take back. 

No more. I have other cars to be getting on with. Enough.