Return of the Rusty Justy

Scruffy Bodger

I think i recognise this behavior from another forum.

OFFS small world.

Come up here and weld my Berlingo! It's grotty in the same places, inner wings, but not as bad

Too new sorry and I wouldn't be able to fight the urge to lick the windows and concentrate at the same time.

I still have the Volcane steering wheel sitting on a shelf somewhere.

28518384255_878c9becde_c.jpgC15 Camper by srblythe, on Flickr

I briefly fitted it to my C15 before I found an early single spoke wheel.

Check ebay, there's one at auction at the mo for maybe more than you think?

Lucas pumps are usually happy on the mix and conditions I mentioned provided they've done over 70-80k, it's the Bosch which handles -20C and 99% veg. Once ran a (Lucas) Epic-pumped 2.1TD on 70% veg through temps as low as -10C with a coolant heat exchanger but no preheat, it ran fine then and for years after.

I've run a few mixes but never taken the piss with them, I've known others with very weepy pumps in very short order, Bosch's quie the opposite. Lucas I've found fine for longevity on straight derv tho.

This is a great thread, enjoyed it, thanks! Just for my own info, as an aspiring welder with ideas of rescuing a few hopeless cases in the future, how long did all that take?

Always longer than you think and the rust is always at least twice as bad as you think. The welding is the easy bit really. It's cutting out, prep, cutting and building templates/measuring, transfering, actually cutting (tin snips, grinder, plasma, shear), bending fitting and tacking that take the time.

PMZHoDZ.jpg

If that's the sort of kit you have to use to make stuff it can take longer than a professional outfit too lol

1517426_10100645476469015_1356241179_n_z

For others benefit this is what's being referred too. Another ZX project of a friends that pushes the XUD engine way further than you might ever imagine. Huge VNT turbo, homemade and programmed ecu/controller, arp studs, forged rods, blue-printed, modified pump, 3" exhaust system, LSD etc etc.

Meanwhile Betty is getting some filler tomorrow apparently, that and a bit of adjustment on the handbrake and should have a ticket by the end of the week, fingers crossed.

Ps. 500tops I think you need to have a better look around the forum, there are some fantastic projects on here :-)

2sKWV8U.jpg

UDs7mF7.jpg

Little bit of Shuts/shults or whatever it's called and should be ok :-) The owner has done the bits and pieces since the welding, I've popped in for moral suport and to lend a hand where needed. Forgot about rear bearing too.

TmYexfj.jpg

Headlamp was just a blown bulb thankfully, no dodgy wiring to deal with :-) MOT ready fingers crossed.

Anyone interested in a bit of LDV dross that was too far gone too?

Ok. Well the background on this one. It's a "camper" that's been owned by the same very likeable chap for the last 10 years or so. It spends 5 or 6 months a year on hard-standing at a local yard not being used. He basically works his arse off over here and saves everything he can then buggers off to warmer climes for the rest of the year, comes back, rinse, repeat. When he is back the LDV is his only form of transport. It's loud, slow, agricultural feeling but as he has lived in it for periods of owning it he's grown attached to it. It's main (if only) saving grace is that it's got the renowned Transit based Banana chugger under the bonnet.

I did a bit of work to this a couple of years ago. Since then I have thankfully persuaded him to permanently leave the forward compartment carpet and lining out of the van. A persistent water leak from what seems to be various places towards the front of the van had led to the destruction of numerous spots of the floorpan. The carpet and lining works as a very effective sponge, couldn't believe how heavy it was when removed. It led to ideal conditions for rust to set in and fester, like these things need any more of an excuse?!

XSbFZKR.jpg

WyE9hQS.jpg

WyE9hQS.jpg

UkBIXjm.jpg

Sadly no photos of that bit being done down to the poxy ibrick I had at the time. After the last bit was done the whole thing has been blathered underneath with some form of treatment to try and keep the tin worm at bay. Thankfully it's more solid than it looks in the photos. There was more work done in the footwells which are now well covered in a coat of decent black paint.

It needed a bit more thn TLC for the last MOT.

D8rGXay.jpg

zGzvdQl.jpg

tKBIPT5.jpg

UXpvyrw.jpg

Both outside chassis members had significant amounts of rust lurking behind the scenes too. The outer layers were actually bulging out significantly, even tho the outer surface had no evidence of rust and would withstand a healthy impact with a screwdriver and a hammer. No before photos as it took long enough to do as it was.

Ok, well Betty has now passed the MOT so fingers crossed there are a few more miles left in her yet :-)

As for Ldv's, it got worse before it got better.

fq4ssnQ.jpg

Quite how two pieces of steel can multiply like that seems to be a secret only known to British manufacturers? Landrover and LDV?

JbFTxUN.jpg

bDd1rxQ.jpg

The owner of the vehicle doesn't seem too displeased with his winnings for that day?

Back to the ZX for a moment. That drop link looks rather more heavy duty than the usual steel twigs found on most cars. Where did it come from out of interest?

I've fitted the same before. They are plastic, I think a glass-reinforced resin-injection component, and seem to come from just about any motor factors. QH ones are definitely like this.

.. don't seem to last any longer though, and have exactly the same machine-gun rattle from the front end when buggered.

A lot of PSA stuff came with those plastic drop links.I had a 96 306 with them.Early ZXs had a completely different link.The ARB was forged so that the ends ran very close above and parallel to the wishbones,to which it was linked by small figure 8 shaped pieces with two rubber & steel bushes in.The bottom bush bolted to a bracket on the wishbone and the other bush fitted over the end of the ARB, which had a threaded section onto which fitted a 12 mm nut.My 92 Zx had that type and after 70000 miles of use(up to 202000 miles) they were still perfect.I haven't used any PSA car with the usual type of droplink where they have lasted that long.But I suppose it was more expensive to machine and cut threads on the end of the ARB than just make a hole.

The ZX is now being used as a daily to replace an S reg 306 Dturbo which will shortly be up for sale.

After cutting quite a lot out of the LDV it was time to start stitching a bit back in.

h15bM5r.jpg

ULwPnQI.jpg

AWi8OpC.jpg

TFKkKar.jpg

Not ideal working conditions on this one. It was getting towards the end of October and it's on top of a hill, just great for welding outside in the wind. The welder is older than the van and thankfully in much, much better condition. You can keep your cheap Chinese shite!

F0J8T0g.jpg

Both sides of the chassis had gone on the outside, see picture previously posted for just how bad the lamination between the layers was, I just had to keep cuting back and back until I found sound metal. As it was made of two skins I ended up putting it back as two skins as that was what materials we had available. It's now as thick as a 4x4 chassis. 2x2mm iirc?

PMZHoDZ.jpg

The "anvil" I had available is the substantial rear cross member on a very old HGV trailer. Thankfully there is an industrial shot blaster on site so most of the bits i had to weld were at least clean. It also did a thorough job of blasting the shite out of it making it quite obvious which bits needed repair.

7elma90.jpg

xIUj90K.jpg

The first bit of arch repair was pretty easy. There was a gamaged piece of transit wing on site from a previous repair job someone had done. I just had to cut a section out and then cut umpteen slits into it so I could bend it to the correct radius. When happy, weld up all the slits and then wang it in to place. The rear part of the arch, not quite so easy...

So the saga continued. Thankfully not much more to but it was enough what with the inner arch as well.

Here's Mat with his next mode of transport lined up in case this one got burned to a crisp.

aztEoLH.jpg

Started of with something, anything to give mean idea of what I needed to work to.

a1qxO00.jpg

Stitched a piece in and then cut another strip about so I could tweak it enough so that I could use it as a suitable template.

1RrL2nT.jpg

Spot.

AvO5FO4.jpg

Spot, spot, spot...

AvO5FO4.jpg

Grind.

jyL5RaE.jpg

Cut, spot, repeat.

jyL5RaE.jpg

OGZ6J6E.jpg

Then finally hopefully end up with something like the original.

B0kjctL.jpg

EpqcISd.jpg

Hopefully slightly better than what was there before :-)

Ideal working conditions, wind, rain, dodgy electrics.

NCilFnM.jpg

Those full face grinding helmets are thoroughly recommended by the way for anyone attemting anything like this. I ws getting facefulls of shite bouncing back at me when cutting and prepping inside the arches. Everything was bouncing off the leaf springs and coming straight back at me at the perfect angle to hit me right in the face. Most unpleasant and fucking painful tbh. I sent Mat off to buy that one after enduring as much as I could bare. In the half hour he was away a piece of shrapnel bounced right off my eyeball, it was still aching a week later, worse one I have had in years. Safety first kids! (cough)

4e7zlqk.jpg

SMquw1n.jpg

Then that happened. Told you it was uneconomic!

Nice work! From that pic it all looks worth while. What's the interior like?

It's pretty good all in all. The interior is pretty basic really, a few cupboards  and a logburner with the capcity for wood of a biscuit tin. It's got a buit in patch-work quilt now, in the floorpan...

Wow!!!! You are really walking the shite walk ,fantastic stuff

These two "projects" probably aren't on most peoples wish lists, true.

Amazing. If that's not love for the unloved, I don't know what is.

I'm sure these things will start disappearing from the roads very even more rapidly in the immediate future. He likes it anyway, which is the main thing and probably a bit special in some peoples books :mrgreen:

JuhyMLd.jpg

That's parked a few yards from where I did the work. I think it defines unloved quite well! It'd not the only one either.

Ha, I had forgotten all about that 306! I offered him £50 for it around 7 years ago and he told me that it was 'an insult' wots it wurf now m9? ☺

More pics of Clows Top shite plz, I bet nothing has moved in all those years

Maybe he should have taken it? Apart from the damage on the front corner it was actually quite a straight car, panels still are really. I just so happen to have taken a few pics of the shite currently up there. I'll sort them out :-)

That 306 is actually virtually impossible to see from the yard now in the summer.

H7FFf4G.jpg

It's got some extremely active spiders in it.

lcmMYdh.jpg

SWjnR1F.jpg

This hasn't been there that long but may go the way of the 306?

N4BIEjh.jpg

This is still there. He mentioned it the other week and I suggested getting some panels for it to do some welding.

xok8oaE.jpg

oP9PHFw.jpg

hFjtuQN.jpg

There's this thing with some pretty epic lacquer peel.

EbdPOPt.jpg

AA9dMLk.jpg

It actually looks like stuff parked too close could actually catch it?

Then there's this beauty!

hXzMswq.jpg

Apparently the owner thinks it's worth good money on one of the islands of the coast with width restrictions :mrgreen:

V5wJ5vU.jpg

ThGOe1D.jpg

xQu35ii.jpg

Best thing is it has 190,000K on it iirc? I had a look inside, needs a load of welding too :shock: In technical terms I think I'm right to say that it is FUCKED?!

LK4tBnC.jpg

There's one other really nice motor up there that has sadly been left far too long and is really starting to show it. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what it is?