AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

Do the 2.2 TDCis have a belt or chain? I'm thinking of changing my cheap to run low mileage Fiesta for something a little bigger like a Focus 1.8TDCi for about £2000 but this has come up for sale locally and it's really getting me thinking.

2334e72282a3168534b4acd80506aaed.jpg

It's a 2008 2.2 TDCi Titanium X sport in black, fully loaded with Sat Nav etc, full history and 117k for £3000 Ono. It's a little too big as a second car and £1000 too much but I've always wanted one and this looks a bargain. Just a bit concerned about the belt as the owner says it's chain but ford say it's a belt?

Weirdly ECP lists a timing chain kit and a cambelt. Is it like the late 1.8TDDi with a separate belt drive for the cam?

It is a belt drive from the crank to the first cam, and the second cam is driven by a chain off the first cam - if that makes sense.

This leads to people erroneously claiming it has a timing chain - yeah it does, but you still have a belt to replace.

I looked at a couple of Titanium X Sports but at that sort of price, £2-3k, they were all absolute dogs.  There might be a decent one out there for that but you are really at the cheap end of the scale.

I looked at a couple of Titanium X Sports but at that sort of price, £2-3k, they were all absolute dogs.  There might be a decent one out there for that but you are really at the cheap end of the scale.

I'm coming to that conclusion to. All have four or five owners behind them, usually part service history and the mileage is at a cambelt interval.

They wear the miles well, in fairness, but if you're looking for a bit of a keeper then it's probably the wrong price bracket.

I'm keeping an eye out for the ultra-rare new shape S80 2.5T, which is probably about as large inside (albiet a saloon) and with a manual 'box doesn't attract the £530 tax rate. Most S80s have been one-loyal-customer owned from new.

You’re probably right, in general I found Mk4 Mondeos seemed to have hard lives, in terms of bodywork at least. I was looking up to around the 4-5k mark and I didn’t see a single really nice one. Even the one I ended up with was scruffy bodywork wise, but we took it because of the mileage - 40k and got it for a steal - £2.5k on a 10. My mate has since had most of the bodywork done so it’s quite clean now.

I looked at one 2.5T version, it was a beautiful looking thing in the pictures and a 1 owner car, I was convinced it was the one. To be fair, the garage did warn me in no uncertain terms that the bodywork wasn’t great and if I was worried about it looking nice to give it a miss. I went for a look anyway - I mean the pictures can’t lie that much and was one owner so it must have been cared for right? - Wrong. It was an absolute minger. Every panel was scratched, dented, badly touched in or resprayed. Bravo for their honesty though

I reckon I’d really like a new new Mondeo, I saw a 67 plate on the motorway the other morning, looked absolutely superb. If it drives half as well as it looks it must be a stonkingly good car.

I am now seeing Hilti Mondeos everywhere in south east London/Kent. Always red estates, signwritten on the side (so no doubts what they are), always black trim above the number plate. They look nice, though my personal usual caveat about red paint clashing with red light clusters applies.

I wonder if they’ll be like RAC Transits and be all faded and terrible looking in a few years time?

Is that first silver one ex five-o?

Looks like a calibrated Speedo

What makes you say that? It looks normal to me, the only oddity being the smaller text km/h scale being on the outer of the Speedo dial... In all fairness I don't even know if that is odd, I normally see that as an inner scale...