AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

Agreed! I much prefer the look of saloon cars in general compared with hatches, but they just arent practical enough, sure the saloon has a massive boot too but it cant accommodate odd shaped items. 

Plus newer saloon cars just dont look as good, mk1/2 Mondeo, mk3 Cavaliers, Vectra Bs all IMO look better as saloons than hatches, but Insignias, Vectra Cs and mk3/4 Mondeos dont. 

Yeah. For my first car I had a Primera Si which I fitted a GT kit etc (and eventual SR20) to and I was the odd one out amongst my small hatch owning mates, but as you say, they used to look great.

Agreed! I much prefer the look of saloon cars in general compared with hatches, but they just arent practical enough, sure the saloon has a massive boot too but it cant accommodate odd shaped items. 

Plus newer saloon cars just dont look as good, mk1/2 Mondeo, mk3 Cavaliers, Vectra Bs all IMO look better as saloons than hatches, but Insignias, Vectra Cs and mk3/4 Mondeos dont. 

I think the Insignia looks exactly the same as a hatch and saloon, the only way I can spot a saloon is the lack of rear wiper.

I think the Insignia looks exactly the same as a hatch and saloon, the only way I can spot a saloon is the lack of rear wiper.

Theres one round the corner from my house, and it looks odd, not as short an overhang at the back as the hatch but not as much overhang at the rear as youd normally expect from a saloon tailgate. 

Anyway as this is a communal mk4 thread i should probably say my fathers hand grenade 1.6 TDCi has now clocked up 95,000 miles and hasnt blown up yet *touches wood* it will be due a cambelt kit and aux belt kit soon at 112,500 miles. I suspect this will be fun convincing him to have it done, as hes never had one changed on a car in his life except my Jetta, and only because he had to because the aux belt snapped, got caught in the timing belt causing it to skip teeth, causing engine damage (7 bent valves, 9 rockers, head damage) although Im hoping this will be enough to convince him to get the Mondeos done to avoid that. Hes never owned a car with more than 70,000 miles on it, except the 3 taxis, Jetta, Mondeo, and a Vectra C 2.0 DTI which had a timing chain. 

Re: black boot handles. That must be a local thing. Round here the taxis are green and white, and they've applied the colour to the handle in just that way. Can't find anything to show you what I mean on Google Image Search but I'll try for a photo at some point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Deep Impact Blue? 

It is indeed. Quite a soft paint finish, seems to chip very easily. Bonnet, front bumper, the very back of the rear doors on the sort of arch part (where the door shape protrudes outwards) and the sills are full of road rash, and were like that when it was bought at 50k miles and under 3 years old. 

mon9.PNG

Another black boot handle to add to the collection. Supplied by T.C. Harrison according to the plate.

Who are the local dealer around here where so many are taxis.

Surely not a dealer special? Why would they??!

I’d never noticed them before, but now I can’t see anything else! It’s dwfinitely not a vinyl wrap.

Who are the local dealer around here where so many are taxis.

Surely not a dealer special? Why would they??!

I’d never noticed them before, but now I can’t see anything else! It’s dwfinitely not a vinyl wrap.

T.C Harrison aren't local to me but taxi fleet owners tend to go shopping at BCA Brighouse. All these black boothandles have appeared in the last six months.

Interestingly*, Hilti seem to have estates rather than hatchbacks - I’m not sure if that has changed since 2012 though

How often do you need to wash your car to stop the police trying to send you down for it being a bit dusty btw?

A valet once a week and a quick trip through the £1.50 IMO/ARC car was every day. The problem is dark blue shows the dirt more than silver.

A quick question.

My Mondeo Haa a built in aerial so if I swap the radio for a Ford DAB unit will it work?

Different aerial.

What year is the car? Just stream DAB radio from your phone, if the BT module supports it.

Ford Bluetooth doesn't support A2DP. Will an aftermarket DAB aerial from Halfords work? It's a 2009 year.

Some don't. Some do. You need the right BT module.

My 59 Tit X never, my 12 Tit X Sport does.

I don't really know about the aerial, but given that Sony make the Ford head units, I'd say the aerial may have a generic connection.

I'd just smash an updated BT module in. Although I can recommend the Sony DAB HU. My Tit X had one and it was a good thing IMO.

I've had a look on eBay for the A2DP upgraded Bluetooth modules and they seem highly sought after.

Yeah, I looked into it for my previous car, as I just missed out on the audio streaming/USB one by about 6 months.

They can be had cheaply from the likes of Motorhog, though.

I found the same.
Phone only modules were about £20
Streaming ones? £80+

You will need a DAB aerial, although if you're in a strong area your FM aerial will do a passable job. Tuned one will be better though.

Edit: I was going to suggest going on ETIS and seeing if there's any difference listed between a DAB equipped and FM-only Mondeo - they do list preparations down to the Nth degree like whether the drivers sunvisor is heated or whatever. 

However the site appears to just tell you what the car is, and the VIN. Anyone else getting the same?