AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

Rather than hijacking the threads already running on here I thought I'd start a new thread for this fine automobile as a few of us on here are fans. 

I'm going to begin by collecting as many photos of these black boot handle models as poss. 

post-3910-0-65628700-1518519254_thumb.png

post-3910-0-11217100-1518519279_thumb.png

I'm really at a loss to know what's the origin of these? There's a few working as taxis around here in both hatch and estate.

I really think that after the black grille Sierra and the black topped bumper MK1 Mondeo these will be what we all want in 2026. 

Could you even get a Mondeo in dog-cock red by that point? Definitely think they are a fleet order as said, maybe the red was a vinyl wrap? The fiddly bits are the ones left black...

Here's one for sale (but a Zetec rather than an Edge): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702162373439?

Could you even get a Mondeo in dog-cock red by that point? Definitely think they are a fleet order as said, maybe the red was a vinyl wrap? The fiddly bits are the ones left black...

Here's one for sale (but a Zetec rather than an Edge): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702162373439?

But why go to the trouble of demanding black boot handles?

A lad I worked with who we called Flakey, due to his severe skin complaint and nothing to do with uncut cocaine had a bright red/orange 1.8 Zetec estate with the six speed box. That lacked the black boot handle but had at some point been stickered up. It's registration is MA57NWS which I think it a North East area. 

Other than burning out batteries it never gave him any trouble. In fact he spent two years happily driving around looking like a 21st century Eddie Shoestring with psoriasis until he had to retire it due to  our 10 year rule.

I hate to be negative but a lad in work has only just managed to obtain reliability with his 2011 2.2 diesel automatic Titanium after 100,000 miles and removed DPF and EGR valve with the computer tricked.

What issues has he had?

I am guessing you are going to reply with ‘A lot’.

Basically a car that wanted to spend it's days throwing up fault codes and living it's life in limp mode. Only by removing the DPF/EGR and plugging in a computer to convince the car that all was well solved* the problem.

I had a 2009 2.0 but only 115bhp Econetic. Got an odd spec as it had the econetic wheel trims and no auto lights but half leather seats / Sony DAB. I think it was a base model with some option boxes ticked. 

I changed the wheels for the Titanium 18" alloys and it improved the look 100%. 

Bought in 2013 with 130k on, it is still in the family and has just rocked over 200k as I was using it for our courier work if needed.  

Genuinely has been perfectly reliable for me and the 2 subsequent family members that have owned it. 

I hate to be negative but a lad in work has only just managed to obtain reliability with his 2011 2.2 diesel automatic Titanium after 100,000 miles and removed DPF and EGR valve with the computer tricked. 

I hope he's got a decent amount of MOT left on it then :(

Do any of our MK_4_MASSIV have any experience of the booted version? I'm positively beading at the thought of owning one but they're a rare bird indeed. Sadly due to my council having a 10 year rule for taxis I fear I'm running out of time. I really fancy a booted Ghia model previously kept by an old boy as his cherished pet but I doubt I'll find one.

Fuck that noise. Practicality is one of the strong points on these. So hatch as a minimum, imo.

Having on my third Mondeo, finally acquired an estate, I am never going back.

Never! :-)

Now if said saloon was a minted mk1 Si...

Agreed! I much prefer the look of saloon cars in general compared with hatches, but they just arent practical enough, sure the saloon has a massive boot too but it cant accommodate odd shaped items. 

Plus newer saloon cars just dont look as good, mk1/2 Mondeo, mk3 Cavaliers, Vectra Bs all IMO look better as saloons than hatches, but Insignias, Vectra Cs and mk3/4 Mondeos dont.