Zafira A. *fuk this car*

Jim Bell

always a lot of crank sensor fails on the FB pages for them , possibly if it dont think the engine is turning over , the injectors dont start up ...????.

could be worth chancing an arm on the crank sensor first , before spending a leg and first born on a new ecu , keyreader etc

.attachicon.gifIMG-20180407-WA0006.jpg

MrsSavvvvytribute.

News is in and it is not good. Had a nice chat with the AA lad.

attachicon.gifIMG-20180407-WA0007.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20180407-WA0008.jpg

The ECU is dead. The car is not communicating at all via OBD. Just doesnt connect. Theres power getting to the ECU but no voltage to any of the three sensors he checked after the ECU. Think he said he checked the MAF and a couple of others. There were no volts present.

Which I guess means the ECU is toast. Or theres a wiring issue somewhere. The ECU is bone dry so its not related to rain or water. Probably.

attachicon.gif20180407_181704.jpg

Shame car returns home in shame.

Wonderful toys.

attachicon.gif20180407_183120.jpg

And there it sits.

attachicon.gif20180407_184039.jpg

Options are, get an ebay ECU kit and chance spending £150 

I've sold E46 ECU, key and transponder kits for 30 quid as they're worthless as the scrapyards are full of them. Scrapyards are full of these as well. £150 is the price of a whole Zafira.  :-D

Quite easy to swap the ecu kit from a known working car for testing purposes, main ecu, immobilser ring round the barrel and the chip from the key, 10 minutes work max,  that's if you can find someone to let you try it 

Quite easy to swap the ecu kit from a known working car for testing purposes, main ecu, immobilser ring round the barrel and the chip from the key, 10 minutes work max, that's if you can find someone to let you try it

Yeah man, thats a good shout. Overrun knows somebody with one so is going to ask for a borrow if possible. If it works at least I have a definate shopping list.

It depends on what set up it has. Some have an ECU, a fag packet sized EWS transponder box under the dash somewhere* and a chipped key but the ring around the barrel is the same on all and can be left.

Others have the transponder box built onto the side of the transponder ring. This just links the key chip to the ECU.

For it to run on easy start then the ECU must be working otherwise no sparks.

Ergo ECU is not faulty and AA diagnosis is a stab in the dark.

Ah right I see. Does the spark come via the ECU like?

Other that an ECU fault, what might cause there to be power to the ECU but no power after it?  (presuming that bit was true like)

Be grand to know what to look at rather than the ECU.

it could be one of the output transistor drivers has gone fubare , ecu is trying to work , sparks are trying , but the injectors are dead ?

Would it start if the injectors are dead though. Because it started, but wouldnt run on.

Is there any reason why you can't lift the coil pack out of the engine, put some plugs in it, turn it over and see if there are sparks?  Like would have done with leads?

I quite like our Zafira but I must admit, it has been a bit of work to keep it going.  Would be well worth having a set of bits - sensors, ecu etc to keep it going.

It can't have been running on ether but have a dead ECU, with a dead ECU there would be no sparks so I cry bullshit on one or both of those claims.

Easy start can make a petrol 'fire' without a spark........that's why it's pretty useless to try and diagnose with it

Everything (pretty much) runs via the ECU, it needs to 'see' everything to say when to make sparks, inject fuel etc, not sure what or how he tested it but I can't imagine everything being as dead as he said and it still running on easy start.

Do you have access to diagnostic equipment? The first thing I would check is what the engine is seeing on the live data side of things when you try and crank it over.

Re: checking fuses and connections, I can't imagine a replacement brake pipe being run over the top of a fusebox but you never know, I wonder if it's faro pipe (flexible gas pipe) for the lpg? If so there should be enough slack to move it aside and fix it out of the way.

Easy start can make a petrol 'fire' without a spark........that's why it's pretty useless to try and diagnose with it

Ok I've never had that, I wouldn't have expected a petrol to have been high enough compression, I guess try it with some lynx or carb cleaner and see if it runs?

If you are not in a rush I'd recommend buying "opcom", it's a rip off of vauxhalls own software and about £20. You get a CD and a cable but it will only run on an old xp laptop  

Thanks fella.  For that price, I might as well really.

it was running on ether though if I read it correctly. Crank sensor will cut fuel, dodgy fuel pump/injection relay also will stop fuel, these are 2 purple relays in the fuse box

This. Well worth a trip to the scrappy and acquiring these. Would also be a good place to get a ECU and associated bits from too. Thinking on it, I had a crappy Astra estate that did the same thing. Changed the purple relays and it fired right up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can only offer the following advice.

Go to local outstanding fish and chip vendor, buy two portions of said fish and chips.

Eat fish and chips, feel a million % better, then try the wet wipes again.

You are most welcome.

Mushy peas too if you are feeling up to it.