Zafira A. *fuk this car*

Jim Bell

I don't know if this is the same dash (probably is), but the Astra G that this is based on has a coolant gauge that is very wiggly. Ours used to start between 80 and 90C and then rise to sort of a bit over 90C or so. Then when the thermostat and fan kicked in, it would drop to under 90C. It would continously repeat this cycle when upto temp. Apparently something that all of them do.

When you say it overheats, does it go up and over the 100C marker?

Yes man. Up over 100 and into the red.

Ouch. What engine is in this? The Z18XE or X18XE? Should say at the start of the service book. One has an easy to replace thermostat (top of engine and 3 bolts), the other is behind the water pump so a cambelt job.

These engines are a piece of piss to work on and simple things as modern cars go. Most mechanics seem to love them because of it. Also pretty solid things that can take a whole heap of abuse. Cambelt jobs are like two hours or so max.

I assume there are no warning lights on the dash when it's running? I think this age shouldn't have the extra fan computer that often got soaked and went haywire. Only the earlier ones had that iirc.

My Dad has had the same piece of carpet in the boot of his cars since 1987.  It's been through a Sierra, a Mondeo, an Accord, a CRV, a Mazda 6 and a Seat Leon - it's now in another Mazda 6!  He also uses it to stop his drum kit moving around when he's gigging.  I've got dibs on that when he declares, along with the private numberplate I got him last year.

Us drummers are very protective about our rugs and carpets.  I had the same one for years with the same duct tape markings on it so my kit was the same whenever I set it up.  Especially when you have to cram, myself (6'2"), my partner, mate, drum kit, guitar amp and guitar in my car.  Which was a 98 Ford Ka.

Sorry to hear about your loss, WW.  As a fellow car inheritee there are always odd things.  When I got my Gran's car a couple of years ago, I had to remove about 30 years worth of Ordnance Survey maps they'd collected and shoved into every corner of the car...

Ouch. What engine is in this? The Z18XE or X18XE? Should say at the start of the service book. One has an easy to replace thermostat (top of engine and 3 bolts), the other is behind the water pump so a cambelt job.

These engines are a piece of piss to work on and simple things as modern cars go. Most mechanics seem to love them because of it. Also pretty solid things that can take a whole heap of abuse. Cambelt jobs are like two hours or so max.

I assume there are no warning lights on the dash when it's running? I think this age shouldn't have the extra fan computer that often got soaked and went haywire. Only the earlier ones had that iirc.

The lump is deffo the Z18XE. Is that the easy to replace thermostat or the cam belt off one? Just as Ive bought a thermostat housing/thermostat/temp sensor so might as well get a cam bet kit too if it has to come off to do the thermostat.

Theres no warning lights on the dash at all man.

Crap video but gives you a good idea:

[Video]

Just don't go gorilla on those torx bolts when doing it up. It's an alloy head and easy to strip the threads.

I reckon if you put a catch can underneath and be prepared to have coolant spill a bit, you don't need to drain the system. If you do drain, be especially careful on the radiator drain taps. They can be brittle at this age and often don't reseal after either. I would prefer to pull a pipe if going to drain tbh. But yeah, I'd just pull it off and just fill the system up again after. Won't loose all the coolant then.

• 2 weeks later...

First things fist. The exhaust was broken more than and in places other than I had anticipated.

Ring ring. Ring ring. Hello. Hello is that ebay? I would like one large exhaust. Do you deliver?

post-5435-0-86119600-1519919966_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-31282800-1519920173_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-94076300-1519920202_thumb.jpg

Shinybeanz.

post-5435-0-12370600-1519920257_thumb.jpg

One job ticked off the list.

Time for a refill. Which also means:Time for some man mathmatics.

post-5435-0-63011700-1519935851_thumb.jpg

These litres, then these number of miles traveled,

post-5435-0-50239800-1519935935_thumb.jpg

And then these litres:
post-5435-0-60863500-1519935981_thumb.jpg

Comes out by my imprecise reckoning to be about 30 Miles per gallon running on gas.

post-5435-0-41135500-1519936093_thumb.jpg

If that doesnt sound too great, you can spin the shit out of the numbers by pointing out that LPG is less than half the price of Petrol and Diesel so youre kinda getting in excess of 60 mpg er, comparatively speaking. Then you just ignore the petrol you have to slop in to start the engine on.

Still, cheap enough eh?

Zafira As are actually better than they have any right to be

Shite to drive but very useful

I've got a 2.2 pez and apart from not the most comfy driving position (I'd like the seats to go back a bit further it's really nice to drive, sounds very zingy in a 90's vaux way from the irmscher pipes !!!!

Ooooooooh FLOUNCY!!!

My wife has a 54 plate Zafira A 1.8 auto LPG and I've not got more than about 28 mpg on gas out of it, including driving proper grandad style so I think you're doing well.  I've had the lpg system looked over too as I don't have the software for it.

I honestly think that they are indestructible, as they just don't rust and anything else can be fixed or replaced.  It does seem to have an appetite for Air Flow Meters, and throws fault codes like they're confetti given a chance, so I've had to learn how to read live data as fault codes tell you so little on these.  Having done that, there's now nothing really stopping me keeping it going as the yards are currently full of them.

I feel a bit miffed that it is so expensive to tax when there are so many diesels out there with cheap tax that we have now decided are 'the problem' with air pollution.  But I guess we're starting to digress (or get 'off topic' to use the parlance.)

Vauxhall seats ruin the Vauxhall experience for me. If they weren't so much like a torture device, I'd rock around in a Vauxhall. Despite not being as reliable as the previous generation, the Astra H still (imo) looks sharp and modern. Very unlike the G. My mechanic reckons the G is leagues ahead in reliability and ease of repair against the H. But then he hates anything electrical...

My wife has a 54 plate Zafira A 1.8 auto LPG and I've not got more than about 28 mpg on gas out of it, including driving proper grandad style so I think you're doing well.  I've had the lpg system looked over too as I don't have the software for it.

I honestly think that they are indestructible, as they just don't rust and anything else can be fixed or replaced.  It does seem to have an appetite for Air Flow Meters, and throws fault codes like they're confetti given a chance, so I've had to learn how to read live data as fault codes tell you so little on these.  Having done that, there's now nothing really stopping me keeping it going as the yards are currently full of them.

I feel a bit miffed that it is so expensive to tax when there are so many diesels out there with cheap tax that we have now decided are 'the problem' with air pollution.  But I guess we're starting to digress (or get 'off topic' to use the parlance.)

To be honest, I'd be really happy with this one if I could sort the cooling fan issues out.

Its not the thermostat or the temp coolant sensor so the most likely culprit is the resistor bollocks on the fan shroud?

I guess I need to do this, but I'm not confident in my electrical abilities.

Check the resistance across it with a multimeter. I would have thought that the fans would have gone into full speed mode, by passing that resistor, when it started getting too hot.

I assume the relays are good? I don't have a Zafira A wiring diagram to hand, but iirc from looking at one previously, the last generation removed the fan computer and replaced it with 2 relays and that resistor.

I ran a 54 plate Shakira 1.8 petrol 3-4 years ago. Utterly dull but very useful and very well designed and put together. Every job I did was easy. If you can get past the council connotations (kids on board - all with different Dads) then they are a useful old dog and so cheap.

SiC is right that the fan should run ok without the resistor on full speed mode, just like internal fans do - so often they die on the low speeds due to the resistor but run ok on the higher speeds.  The high speed will stop it from overheating if it works.

He's right about relays and fuses and stuff. 

I was once quite concerned that my car was overheating until I changed the sender and it ran at a more sensible level on the gauge.  The Astra I got from Rob T almost never switches the fan on but it seems to be fine.

Cheers lads.

The resistors are NLA so people seem to replace them with the big orange fuckers.

The fan definately doesnt kick in at all, at any speed. Havnt had the fan assembly out to check, as yet.

I havnt checked or changed any relays or fuses yet.

Me dad had it to two garages in his ownership to chase the issue and they came up blank.  Thats what made me suspect that it would be the big resistor. Guess some garages might miss that when going through basic checks.  I dunno though.

Plenty to be getting on with!

Genuine sensors aren't that expensive. IIRC around £15. The cheap ones off eBay are crap and don't last (don't ask me how). I think I still have a working genuine sensor somewhere around for a Z16XE that may be an exact fit. I can have go looking for it and post it up to you if you want to try that.

I wouldn't thought it would be the temperature sensor though, as its seeing it getting too hot.