Xantia turbo deezl collecshun caperz. Now with hot (literally) welding action.

Talbot

Home now.  Quite a fast journey in the end.

Actually, there's less broken on it than was thought.. or at least different things are broken.  The engine temperature gauge actually works,  The reason it stays almost on the bottom stop all the time is that it's actually running that cold as the thermostat is clearly jammed wide open.  Given that I can grab and hold the top hose even when it's been running for a while and is still running indicates it's well below 60°c.

Fuel gauge is definitely very broken, but I suspect will be a fairly easy fix.. it's not exactly a complex circuit.

Driver's door lock will need some investigation as it's properly siezed internally.  I also don't think the key is the one that fits the door lock.  I may see if I can find someone breaking a Xantia for the complete lock set including a remote central locking key.

Lack of a blower motor is a definite pain.  The trickle of warm air into the car was just enough to keep hypothermia at bay, although I did find that if you belt it down the outside lane at significant* speed, you do get a little more airflow in.  It's just a bind when you come to a complete stop at a traffic light.  Brrrr!

It may be up for sale before too long.  I am not a good fit in it, and I suspect it will not be a good longer-distance car for me.  The interior rear-view mirror is so low it prevents me from seeing the road to my left properly, which is a bit of an issue, and it feels very small to me now (although I have been spoiled by a Merc S210 for a while now)

I'll get some repairs done first though.  It's a very "tight" car and drives amazingly well.  Best gearchange I've ever felt on a BE3/5 and a lovely lovely XUD9TE which seems smooth and powerful.

And it has a cassette player.  All the best cars ever have a cassette player!

I had a quick look at the door lock. The Driver's door lock button is jammed up and does not move at all.. I suspect the door card been dismantled and rebuilt* in the past incorrectly, as it's clearly the plastic button that is stuck.

.. and the key just doesn't fit the driver's door lock. I think it's had a replacement ignition barrel at some point (not uncommon) and the (one) key for the car is for that lock only.

I'm sure I can get a complete lock set for this from somewhere and re-instate the remote central locking it has.

Citroen plastic lock buttons are utter bastards! Don't think any of my cits have had their full compliment after being owned by me. Well, full compliment fitted anyway, always a few rolling around in a cubby hole somewhere where I've just stopped giving a fuck and want the door card back on!

Is it really less comfortable for you than a BX? I always assumed they'd be roomier inside.

Initial impressions are that the BX GTI/TZD seats are more comfortable and more adjustable. The seats in this car are much more like 405 seats, which have less under-thigh support and the height adjustment (broken on this car..) raises and lowers the entire seat rather than the lovely system on the higher-spec BX which only raises and lowers the under-thigh bit of the seat base. I think the seat is in a lowered position in this car (hard to tell with the broken height adjuster) but I feel like I'm sat far too high. I'm looking through the top 6" of the windscreen and can't see left due to the rear-view-mirror being exactly at my eye-height. I expected it to feel roomier too. It feels no larger than a BX, but definitely feels somewhat heavier (although that's not hard).

It's also very clear to see and feel how Citroen tried very hard to keep their central hydraulic system, but make it feel and operate in a more conventional manner. The suspension doesn't have the float that a decent BX has, and it is definitely more firmly sprung and damped. There's more "thump" from road surface irregularities transmitted to the body of the car, and all-in-all it definitely feels more conventional. The only real giveaway that you're not on springs and dampers is the way the rear of the car reacts under acceleration/braking. Even the brake pedal with it's silly-spring feels more like conventional brakes rather than how a dosieur valve should feel.

I'd swap it for a BX in a heartbeat. Although the BX would be less well equipped. And noisier.

It may be up for sale before too long.  I am not a good fit in it, and I suspect it will not be a good longer-distance car for me. ....

That's the risk of playing the AS Roffle Game: you never know quite how it'll turn out!  :P  :lol:

Can't complain for six quid, though. Cheaper than a couple of pints, whichever way you look at it.

A lock set would sort the problem-coding the 'plip' takes seconds, so effectively you'd only have one key. (Though I don't think I'd be brave enough to just carry the ignition key and the plip!)

I've had a couple with dodgy lock buttons.

You don't see many in that red (loads of S2s in burgundy), really suits it. Give me a shout when you've fixed everything, I guarantee I'll give you a profit* on it.

attachicon.gifprofit.jpg

Actually no. Changed my mind..

attachicon.gifstar-trek-memes-so-nerdy-youll-need-a-tricorder-to-read-them-43-photos-29.jpg

Not really. I'll probably get the heater working, make the fuel gauge work, sort the welding needed, maybe blat it a fresh 12 months ticket and then re-roffle it.

Because.

Interest.