Saab 9-3 Floppy turbo

robinmasters

I posted a collection thread in the main forum, but this seems like a more appropriate place to put any interesting* ongoing updates.

As was when collected:

post-5742-0-82945000-1513876919.jpg

I smugly posted that all of the usual 9-3 issues had already been dealt with.

TADTS list:

Cracky bulkhead: Welded

Sludgy sump: Done

Info display: I have many pixels. All, I think. 

Camembert coil pack: 'get you home' spare in boot (starting to deteriorate apparently - the one on the car seems fine)

Tired throttle body: Idling s bit roughly sometimes, but doesn't stall. Will replace anyway.

Roof is a bit reluctant, but it's winter so I've got a few months to sort that. Electric mirrors don't work, but nether does so I'm hoping switch, although the driver's side speaker isn't working - the window is though, as is the lock, so fingers crossed.

Well, I haven't looked at the roof yet. I'm hoping it's just low fluid, as that seems to be a common and cheap fix, and the symptoms match.

The mirror fault was just a manky switch, which after a quick clean works fine. It's a Vauxhall part.

I've replaced the throttle body, but it didn't make any difference at all.

The plan is that this will be Mrs Master's car, which I was going to buy anyway - however, she was expecting a 'mummy car' (Zafira/Scenic/Picasso), so I think I can pass this off as a generous Christmas present.

This plan initially worked, but the reason she wanted rid of the ex-RobT Omega was a lumpy idle, which made the car stall; she 'lost confidence' in it. Guess what the symptoms of the suspected falling throttle body are? Yes, that's right.

I've just spent the morning getting the replicate the fault, without success. Put it back together, cleared the fault codes, went for a drive. Only then did the fault reappear. Thought maybe the MAF might be to blame (there was a MAF code showing), but disconnecting it didn't seem to make any difference.

I think it's the non-return valve on the PCV. It's snapped (and has obviously been glued in the past). This is apparently only available as the entire pipe assembly, for thirty notes. £30! For a short plastic pipe and a plastic valve. Cue a bus journey to the local factors for a generic valve.

X reg? Hardly modern, is it? Get thee to the main forum! :D

It was first registered this century. Practically brand new.

Looks very similar to the snapped one on my 95. It's stuck together with stickafllex & cable ties.

This had already been glued up once, and there wasn't much area to glue or sticky-out bits to hold it together mechanically. I've got a replacement, lightly modified to fit. It'll go on tomorrow-need the wife's hairdryer to get it into the tiny pipe.

post-5742-0-54231000-1517345089_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

FTP today.

It's been losing coolant for a while, but slowly and without leaving any on the road. So presumably a small hole which only leaks under pressure.

Today wife was working at a different site, which involved distance & traffic. The inevitable happened. I did attend, but though the jump leads sparked the car didn't start. The RAC man provided additional electrons and water, and all was well. I suspect my jump (shops all call them 'booster') leads are fucked. I did find them in the boot of a car I bought (which turned out to be as rotten as the proverbial pointy apple), so no real surprise there.

I will be taking this for a proper drive soon (I normally only go round the block/to the shops) to try and replicate the leakage. I will also be trying to diagnose the roof problem; it's not just low fluid. Hopefully it'll just be a failed micro switch or something.

I once had a 9000 2.3 turbo that had a small crack on the radiator which pissed coolant onto the block once warm

This evaporated immediately but left a lovely stain just below the head joint

The previous owner was convinced it was the head gasket leaking so sold it to me cheap

Never did tell him it was just the rad....

The mirror fault was just a manky switch, which after a quick clean works fine. It's a Vauxhall part.

Mine doesn't work either, they go down but not in any other direction. Keep meaning to get hold of some switch cleaner.

One for the pointless inventions thread? They're nice to have, especially on the passenger side, but you're stuffed if they stop working.

Mine doesn't work either, they go down but not in any other direction. Keep meaning to get hold of some switch cleaner.

One for the pointless inventions thread? They're nice to have, especially on the passenger side, but you're stuffed if they stop working.

I borrowed side of the wife's nail varnish remover I think.

I think they're brilliant. Dip mirror when parking to get even closer to the kerb. AMAZING.

• 6 months later...

Now for sale. Shiters price, £250. 

Couple of issues, as mentioned previously in the thread. The MIL light comes on regularly. Doesn't affect how it drives, I clear the codes (p2195 I think, will check), and it stays off for a couple of days. The roof needs assistance to go up and down.

Positives: bulkhead modified, strut brace brace , sump desludged in 2015, all pixels in SID work. 

MOT until November.

post-5742-0-63287200-1539460124_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-11659300-1539460201_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-08492800-1539460227_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-46220700-1539460269_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-67103200-1539460291_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-39655300-1539460320_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-98251100-1539460346_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-59986400-1539460370_thumb.jpg

post-5742-0-79713800-1539526056_thumb.jpg

Hooli's 9-3 too roofy for you?

Step right up for some hot roffle action. 

Bad bits-short MOT, roof needs help to go up and down. Recurring EML light illumination.

Good bits-sump de-gunked, bulkhead modification, it's an HPT, the SID all works. 

Yours for a mere five English pounds. 

EDIT: The car is located in Folkestone, Kent. 

ROFFLE CANCELLED. Due to:

a) Poor ticket sales

B) Impending MOT potential failuridge

c) Man ariving on my doorstep with (some) cash

Soz.

3. Fatha Sporty

5. DSdriver

8. skattrd

10. 3VOM

16. sporty-shite

24. DSdriver

27. 95 quid Peugeot