My very first time owning a Volvo........ Warning..Contains T5 Content.

0ldCh0d

Yes.

With a T5 engine, unless it's had new ATF every 50k or so (and even more frequently if it's been towing) it will fail and force you to buy a new 'box.

Changing the ATF on a 'box that's just started playing up may extend its life a few thousand miles.

I really have no idea why an automatic was so appealing a choice for a car which, I would imagine, you would ideally want full control over the amount of boost and when it's deployed.

On the flip-side, I've put nearly 20k on my 2.0T S60, which is also a manual, and because I do a lot of stop/start rural driving I'm changing gears very frequently. The clutch pedal is worn smooth on one side (as I tend to have my foot a little further to the left), and I now have a flywheel death rattle.

That's interesting about the reliability. I actually loved my 9-5 auto which I assume had similar levels of boost. Kick down was hilarious. The rest of the time I used to drive it on the boost gauge like I might drive a manual on the rev counter. I liked being able to pull really smoothly out of a junction and get quickly up to speed on a wave of boost. Obviously it was no sports car though. 

Automatics with a powerful, torquey bigger engine are ace. Fast, fuss free and ace in town or for motorway jams. There's not a loss of power once the tc locks up, either. Engines are likely to be in better condition once the miles have piled on, too.

Manual gearboxes are overrated.

Actually the Asin Warner gearbox is pretty reliable, it's the Valve Solenoids that wear out and get gummed up (Due to lack of maintenance)
Really Volvo should have sent out a recall and had all gearboxes flushed & advised owners that it's not sealed for life.
Funny if you look at the literature it actually states to have the gearbox flushed IF using it as a Taxi or Tow Car

Thought I would update on the Volvo.

It now sports a fresh Feb 2019 MOT & Also Fresh RFL. 

First off.....it certainly does feel quick, just touching the throttle in 3rd gear you can feel it wanting to pick up & hoof on, but.... as I do not drive foot to the floor everywhere, that was all it got, just a light, gentle, feeling prod of the accelerator.. :-D

It is also very, very comfortable & it rides surprisingly smooth.  A special mention goes to the stereo.....Rather good sound wise, considering it is standard..

I can also see why they ( Volvo T5's) were popular traffic police cars.

Overall......I am rather chuffed with it. I know it is not going to be the most economical car ever to run fuel wise though. But, I can live with that.

I will post up some nice pics of it, once I get over this shitty cold.

But yes, .I think I am going to like this  :-D