My very first time owning a Volvo........ Warning..Contains T5 Content.

0ldCh0d

First off.......I know that this is NOT a Focus ST & nothing like it either.

Instead of buying an ST, I bought this old thing instead.......at a much, much less price than a shagged, several thousand owners focus ST.

2004 Volvo S60 T5 2.4, 6 speed Manual. 

The Brucie Bonus (to me anyway) is that it has never been a police car.....So is nicely spec'd with the leather heated seats, nice alloy wheels, decent stereo etc.

It does need some fixing/tinkering for it's MOT however & with it being 14 years old now, but the main things, engine, box, clutch etc are spot on.

Hand brake is quite high though & I think one of the rear brake calipers is sticking slightly, but this is nothing that concerns me, as it is going to get some time spent on it & new parts fitted.

it is my first ever Volvo.....I have never owned one before, So......Apart from wallet raping petrol thirst....WCPGW???

Some Pics....

post-20267-0-35851200-1517247900_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-88103500-1517247925_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-66117500-1517247963_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-64142600-1517247991_thumb.jpg

My first Volvo was an S40 2.0 Turbo, a few years older than that on an X plate.

I absolutely bloody loved it. Fast, comfy, genuinely fun to drive and reliable. If I hadn't got a dog, and therefore needed an estate car, I think I'd probably still have it.

Enjoy it!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think these have the ridiculous Volvo rear brake setup with combined drums and discs. The discs are for the hydraulic brakes and drums for handbrake system. However the handbrake system invariably goes out of adjustment and a big pain in the arse to adjust.

? When set up well, this arrangement gives an superb handbrake, and most of the main manufacturers use it- Saab,BMW,Merc,etc. Far better IMO than VW etc who use a handbrake setup built into the caliper, giving a crap handbrake and a very expensive caliper to replace if it goes fubar.With the drums,at least you can adjust them, the shoes should never wear out, should then never need adjustment unless the cables stretch and adjustment is done without even taking off the disc.

The problem with the bigger Volvo's is that the shoe lands are cast aluminium, and for those folk that apply the handbrake while still moving, the shock shears the aluminium, and the whole hub is scrap. Don't do it folks.

Volvo V40 rear handbrake calipers are sheeeiiiiite.

Is this the same engine as the Focus ST then? Similar performance? Seems a much nicer proposition than an ST that's been on track days and then seen a minimum level of servicing to tide it over.

Guy round the corner has one and it looks tired and baggy. Pretty sure it's wearing cheapo tyres too which explains the cock-eyed bumper like it's had a brush with the scenery.

Had an ex polis S70 a few years back that was a T5. I think it went like stink, it was an auto though. Shitty velour interior.

engine wise i remember replacing the PCV pipework that i snapped (do these still have the same setup on more recent engines?) and the turbo oil feed liked to spew oil out on boost. Basically gave me a cool 'smoke' screen when overtaking people.

Well put together though and woul dhave another one - sadly hard to find now it seems.

Is this the same engine as the Focus ST then? Similar performance? Seems a much nicer proposition than an ST that's been on track days and then seen a minimum level of servicing to tide it over.

Guy round the corner has one and it looks tired and baggy. Pretty sure it's wearing cheapo tyres too which explains the cock-eyed bumper like it's had a brush with the scenery.

I believe that the (Volvo Sourced) Focus ST engine is essentially the same, bar capacity,& some internals... Focus is 2.5....mines is a 2.4..However, I stand to be corrected on that one, as I do not know much about Volvo's.

I was looking at ST's, but the vast majority of them had quite a few previous registered keepers, One even had 9 previous owners...Feck that..

I've wanted an early V70 T5 for a dogs age.

Giving up on ever owning one though, because prices are going silly now.

I agree, they are quite strong price wise, even considering that they are old now. I spotted this on E bay......Very very nice...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70-T5-SPORT-2-4-6-SPEED-MANUAL-54-PLATE-2005-MODEL/202206338153?hash=item2f146fdc69:g:hhEAAOSwM~tabNTy

s-l500.jpg

You actually found a manual T5 with the 260hp 2.4T?

You bastard. For some reason I cannot fathom 95% of people buying them specced the chocotronic 5spd auto.

A whole 80hp more than my 2.0T delivered in a much more boot-in-the-back way...the envy is high.

It is indeed a manual 260hp T5....& you are correct, the vast majority are geartronic. or ex police manuals.

I did not want a Geartronic one....I had heard that the geartronic gearbox's were a bit..Chocolatey & not just on the T5's. 

I also have not had the opportunity to sample the boot in the back you refer to yet, due to it currently getting sorted out for it's MOT.

I love my 1999 V70 T5 auto. It's gold with taupe leather and suede seats, all the toys, 'throwing star' alloys and no spoiler, so unless you know your Volvos, it looks very innocent on the road. It's supremely comfortable and is a decently quick way to transport 4 bales of hay, but with no traction control, turning right out of the top of our road in the wet is fun! :-)

I have owned it for nearly 12 years and it has now done over 200k miles, but feels like a car with half that mileage. Magic! :-)

A well sorted S60 is a lovely thing and can calm you in a way I have not come across in other cars.  I ran an 2000 S60 2.0T petrol as my first Volvo and have stuck with the brand since, albeit with estates.   The turning circle is too large and the there is too little space inside, given their size on the outside, but the build quality is the best I have seen on a mainstream car and they wear miles fabulously as a result.  I will get another one eventually but the newer models leave me cold; too aerodynamic and flimsy looking to my eyes.  I am very envious of yours as it looks like the perfect spec.  Enjoy.

These have been second on my shortlist when looking for a new car over the last 3-4 years but miss out every time, because manual t5 estates are so hard to find. Is the chocolate auto gearbox reputation deserved?

I had a 9-5 aero estate for about 2 years, then my brother bought a v70 d5 and I had a go in that. It was so much nicer inside and had such an enormous boot that I sold the Saab almost immediately and began to look for a t5. Unfortunately I got bored of looking and bought a saloon BMW 530i instead, so I ended up with something with no room inside and with an image completely the opposite of what attracted me to the Volvo in the first place. Not my finest impulse buy. Maybe next time! It'll be interesting how you get on.

A well sorted S60 is a lovely thing and can calm you in a way I have not come across in other cars. I ran an 2000 S60 2.0T petrol as my first Volvo and have stuck with the brand since, albeit with estates. The turning circle is too large and the there is too little space inside, given their size on the outside, but the build quality is the best I have seen on a mainstream car and they wear miles fabulously as a result. I will get another one eventually but the newer models leave me cold; too aerodynamic and flimsy looking to my eyes. I am very envious of yours as it looks like the perfect spec. Enjoy.

That's exactly how I feel about my old S40. As a saloon, the load space was woeful but a brilliant car otherwise. I had a later V50 (overpriced Focus) that was nowhere near as good.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

These have been second on my shortlist when looking for a new car over the last 3-4 years but miss out every time, because manual t5 estates are so hard to find. Is the chocolate auto gearbox reputation deserved?

Yes.

With a T5 engine, unless it's had new ATF every 50k or so (and even more frequently if it's been towing) it will fail and force you to buy a new 'box.

Changing the ATF on a 'box that's just started playing up may extend its life a few thousand miles.

I really have no idea why an automatic was so appealing a choice for a car which, I would imagine, you would ideally want full control over the amount of boost and when it's deployed.

On the flip-side, I've put nearly 20k on my 2.0T S60, which is also a manual, and because I do a lot of stop/start rural driving I'm changing gears very frequently. The clutch pedal is worn smooth on one side (as I tend to have my foot a little further to the left), and I now have a flywheel death rattle.