Mr Clutch

sierraman

There used to be one in Aberdeen. Years back when i was still a mechanical doofus i took my mkII Fiesta in to them as it was slipping badly. I had got a few quotes at other garages and it was looking like curtains for the foosty as they all wanted quite a lot. I swerved into MrClutch on the off chance on a Friday evening and he quoted something like 90 quid supplied and fitted, had one in stock and could do it there and then. Zero problems and all was well.

I since learned that it was apparently a thing at some franchises to insist the flywheel needed skimming once it was all in bits. Only* 30 quid more and they couldnt guarantee the new clutch if it wasnt done. The problem is while they are all equipped with ramps, trans jacks and the usual tools, no branches have lathes in them....

I sold an Astra to some friends, and it had a warning on the MOT about needing new pads at the front.  I replaced them, £8, and left the discs as they looked ok to me.

They seemed to get confused and took it to Kwik Fit who told them that they'd 'replaced the entire braking system of the car' and charged them over £600.  I don't know what they replaced, but about a year later for some reason I had a rear wheel off and the drum was dreadful, really deeply scored though the shoe was quite healthy, so they'd probably changed the shoes and not the drum.  Whatever a complete new braking system is, that wasn't it.

Not sure how many dumb arse Kwik Fit stories we need and I can't beat that air con one!  Air con indeed.

Not sure how many dumb arse Kwik Fit stories we need and I can't beat that air con one! Air con indeed.

Oh, I've got lots more! They can wait until my computer's fixed so I've got a proper keyboard.

Air con, nice one, can't believe I missed that one...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

When I was about 19 Kwik Fit insisted my braking system on the Panda was filled with engine oil. Im not sure what the suggested remedy was now but i think they suggested replacing all the hydraulics.

I must have looked massively gullible as they tried to convince me by getting me to dip a finger in a fresh bottle of brake fluid and then dipping my finger in the master cylinder. The fresh bottle was supposed to give a tingling sensation.

Dodgy feckers. I remember the guy who tried the bottle trick had love and hate tattooed on his knuckles.

Mr Clutch doesnt seem to be a thing in Scotland. Apparently the only one in Glasgow closed years ago and became Applerow motors only for it to host a gangland shooting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7263239.stm

Only done one clutch. It was the Y10s with Fiat FIRE motor and gearbox. Steep learning curve but I managed it and its still in there now.

Isnt there a Mr Clutch down at Portman Street in Kinning Park? used to be Portman Motors Kia dealership. 

There certainly used to be up until a couple of years ag because I remember passing it. 

Isnt there a Mr Clutch down at Portman Street in Kinning Park? used to be Portman Motors Kia dealership.

There certainly used to be up until a couple of years ag because I remember passing it.

I just typed my postcode into their website and the closest was in Merseyside. Your probably right there was a few in Scotland.

I think with all these big chain garages, you'll have some branches that are better than others but you'll often hear of the bad times/horror stories more than you'll ever hear any praise. It also boils down to what work they do on your car...

I use the Mr Clutch in Kingston upon Thames for a half-price MOT whenever a car I own (or is in my care) has an MOT due. The manager runs the front desk and has been there since before I started using them (4 years now), as has their MOT tester. Always seem to be fair, never say there is any work needed where there isn't. A couple of times my wife has taken the car in instead of me, she's always been given the same treatment and not seen as a 'soft target'. While waiting for my MOT I've often seen how they interact with customers who want/need 'work' doing to their cars and they've always appeared to be fair and honest about it.

I suppose there is always the risk of having a bad experience but at least among my friends who are local, need an MOT and ask for a recommendation, I'd happily recommend them for that specific branch.