Audi ABS Woes....

abelw44

Afternoon all,

My ugly heap of German metal recently decided it didn't want to have ABS anymore. In an attempt to remedy this, I replaced all of the ABS sensors with new ones. No change, ABS light still on. And so, some internet research having been done, I realise that what I need to do is get the control unit repaired.

The unit is made by Bosch, with a model number of: 0 273 004 281

I was wondering whether any of you wonderful autoshite folks knew of a decent place to send the unit to get it repaired? I can't seem to find one in the UK...

Thanks,

abelw44

post-24431-0-32198100-1517152821_thumb.jpg

post-24431-0-22995200-1517152837_thumb.jpg

post-24431-0-56350000-1517152881_thumb.jpg

^^ What he said.

Get the codes read before you go any further. Otherwise you'll be shooting in the dark. Depending on the year it's not unknown for the valve block to fail.

Hell it could even be just the brake switch!

Or a broken wire on the loom , blown or cracked fuse ( cracked fuses common on vag stuff)

presumably you've checked the ring for knocked off/incomplete/gummed up teeth??

What year is the Audi? I broke a b5 ages back that I engine raped an otherwise okay car for, there was a bit of hammer enquiries wise for both the ABS block n airbag module, but the part no' for the ABS block bit never matched theirs ...

...a mate of mine had a B6 n had ongoing ABS issues..... after fitting a second hand block n sensors over n over to achieve an NCT test; dash light would always light up again a few miles down the road after a VAGCOM computa bleed procedure ; turned out to be a frayed wire a bit before the multiplug into the block unit - a €0.50 fix that cost him a few hundred 'doubles round the board' parts darts...

Have you had this code read at least ? Or did you just change all the sensors for fun ?

I kind of worked on the assumption that it would be the sensors as I had them out and stuff whilst working on the brakes and wheel bearings.

Having the codes read is reasonably expensive though, isn't it?

Some reading on the internet suggests that abs modulator failure on a 2000 audi a4 b5 avant is fairly common.

I kind of worked on the assumption that it would be the sensors as I had them out and stuff whilst working on the brakes and wheel bearings.

Some reading on the internet suggests that abs modulator failure on a 2000 audi a4 b5 avant is fairly common.

Good grief!

Assume makes  an ASS out of U and ME

Get the codes read ffs. You've spent more in throwing parts at it already than a code scan. Do you have an Android? If so, there are apps that will read the ABS codes (e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voltasit.obdeleven&hl=en_GB ) with a cheap bluetooth adapter (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-V1-5-Mini-With-PIC18F25K80-Bluetooth-OBD2-Scanner-Diagnostic-Code-Reader/252848281817 - that particular one, if you want a ELM327 from a different seller paste here first).

Good grief!

Assume makes  an ASS out of U and ME

I stand corrected, I did invest in a cheap and nasty VAGcom unit, but the item that came had a plug that was about 1mm too big for the socket on my car.

Would sooner spend £70 on a diagnostic than waste hours of my life I would never get back and still be none the wiser.

Well, it makes sense in some ways, but equally BBA Reman will take the modulator, check for faults and either repair it or return it with a refunded fee if the don't find a fault - so that way either it gets fixed and you only pay for the repair, or it's not the broken part and you pay nothing.

I am a total novice to all of this, however, and I'm sure you guys are more learned in the ways of automotive shite, so I will try to get the codes read one way or another.

Thanks,

abelw44

Right then,

After messing around with the porrly designed connector that shipped with the cheap scanner, I got it to fit. Having scanned the brakes and ABS  for fault codes, the only fault it finds is open circuit on the rear right abs sensor.

On the basis that I've replaced them all, is this likely to be a wiring issue? Dodgy connection somewhere? Or am I likely to have damaged it by being a cackhanded mechanic when I fitted it?

Thanks,

abelw44

Audi Brakes Scan results.pdf