What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

You may recall the saga of my wife being hit by another driver not paying attention back in November, and then our inability to trace the witness.

Over the Christmas period I was informed that the third party was willing to admit 50% liability so decided to accept a reduced payout and chalk it up to experience.

After a bit of chasing a cheque arrives today, but oddly for the full write-off value of the Toyota of just shy of £800 (this I thought pretty good for a nearly 12-year-old Avensis with just shy of 200k on the clock, and lacquer peel on almost every panel).  This makes me grin as I was expecting half that.

Car is not Cat D, I've not claimed against my policy so doesn't affect NCB.  We'll see what happens at renewal time, of course.

The damage was really rather minimal, the wing has been pushed in by the headlight and this has pushed out a crease on the arch:

post-28-0-38990400-1392379176_thumb.jpg

When the weather improves I'll put my £35 repair plan into action - £20 secondhand wing, £15 of paint and some HOT SOLDERING IRON action on that bumper split.

Cheers. Tell you what, it truly is the car as a domestic appliance but it hasn't half taken some beatings (no pun intended) over the last four years and just keeps on running smoothly.

I think an intensive jetwash session to remove the flaking lacquer is the way forward. This worked well on the roof which is now a lovely shade of Pogweasal Pink, although it does come back nicely when polished.

There's evidence of a frontal thump at some point in it's life (aside from this one), with overspray on the windscreen washer pipes, so perhaps it's not coincidental that the front wings and bonnet are the only panels that aren't peeling.

Remembering the PC/PS1 game of The Italian Job from about 12 years ago.

• Probably the only game where you can play as a crash-damaged Wolseley 15/60. In red or blue!
  • By knocking over some cones in a car park in Turin, a bloke asks you to deliver some pizzas. If you do it, the prize is a solid gold Mini that doesn't damage and does 120+mph.
  • The only damage cars take is wobbly wheels that don't affect performance.
  • Turin is populated entirely with Fiat 600s, Riley One Point Fives, and a few Alfa Giulia police cars and mafia Fiat Dinos.
  • Playable cars include an Anglia police car with bell siren, Mini, E-Type, Giulia police car, Wolseley 15/50, DB4, Miura, Bedford VAL, Fiat 600, Landy, Fiat Dino, Ford Thames 'Dormobile'...

^^^ I seem to remember some years ago on the game "Driver" if it was completed it would show you a demo of a Series III Jaguar XJ6 being driven through some streets. I heard that it was a playable level on the PC version of "Driver". I've never played it. I also remember there being a Mini in a hidden layer on Driver 2.

I also had Midtown Madness 2 with our then-new PC. I played it for ages eventually downloading cars into the game, amongst my favourite were a Ford Sierra and a Leyland National Bus with destinctive Leyland National Bus engine sound.

^^^ I seem to remember some years ago on the game "Driver" if it was completed it would show you a demo of a Series III Jaguar XJ6 being driven through some streets. I heard that it was a playable level on the PC version of "Driver". I've never played it. I also remember there being a Mini in a hidden layer on Driver 2.

I also had Midtown Madness 2 with our then-new PC. I played it for ages eventually downloading cars into the game, amongst my favourite were a Ford Sierra and a Leyland National Bus with destinctive Leyland National Bus engine sound.

Yup, you got to drive the Jag through a basic rendition of Newcastle, where the game was made.

That takes me back! Used to love driving that Mini, it was on a four post lift in the very bottom of a secret underground carpark and you had to operate the switch to lower the ramp down. It was white with rusty door bottoms and was the most enjoyable car in the game. There was also a secret hippy van in a garage at the top of this hill on the French map on Driver 3. I'm sure there were others to find but I got interested in GTA then.