What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On my way back from work today, my shite-o-meter went deep into the red zone, as I saw a purple-and-yellow Dutton Phaethon pulling a matching trailer !!!

I reckon the chap has won Autoshite outright, and doesn't even know about it !

Strewth!

A Dutton Phaeton remains the only vehicle I've yet driven that has, on separate occasions admittedly, lost its roof and its gearbox during the journey. It's a one-vehicle win/lose combination.

one of my old schoolfriends has just posted this photo of their bay window camper being resprayed.....outside...in the dark....

1044991_10202112578195075_618814549_n.jp

It seems to be the only way to do these? I don't think I've ever seen a camper without paint runs/crazing/filler 'proud' of body.

I was going to add, at least there won't be flies, but that lighting will have moths and beetles rolling round in that reflective white paint within minutes.

Strewth!

A Dutton Phaeton remains the only vehicle I've yet driven that has, on separate occasions admittedly, lost its roof and its gearbox during the journey. It's a one-vehicle win/lose combination.

Substitute 'roof' for o/s/f headlight and I'll trump you with this

iveco_eurocargo_75_e_15_2002_1_lgw.jpg

Also lost was the will to live.

For about 2yrs I've been after a nsr light for one of my little Daihatsu's. Daihatsu UK (when they still exisited) quoted me over £200 for one as the car is basically an import, so I gave up and left an ill fitting UK spec light in place. A few days ago i was put on to a Japanese site https://www.rinkya.com which basically uses yahoo auctions Japan, google translate and lets you bid on items over there ..... I just bought the light I was after for about £5 .... Ok, so there's commission plus shipping from Japan, but it's not going to be that much and I'll have matching rear lights.

1500 slides

Slide projector

Projection screen

Box of electrical components

Audi roller parcel shelf

"Aberdeen at war" book

Vintage photo of Aberdeen

Mirror

40 cassettes from the 70s and 80s

Shredder and bin

Collectible plates

20 small glasses

Coffee pot

Venetian blind

Wicker laundry Basket

Counter- mounted bottle opener

Sky+ box

Fax machine

Kirkby vacuum cleaner attachements

All for £24.20!

I love auctions.

The slides alone are worth more than that. I'm jealous. 

PCWorld have the very well regarded Sandisk Extreme 240gb for £130, so I now have a solid state hard drive in my laptop. It is wonderful. Applications open almost instantly, everything feels more responsive, it's amazing. Also the laptop runs cooler, battery life is increased and it's completely silent without the hard drive burbling away all the time. 

100% recommended if you want to pep up your computer a bit. 

Dad has been plotting about a second car for when I move out.  This came as some surprise but I wonder if the seed of an idea I planted in his head about a MR2 or MX5 some time ago has started to germinate because that's what he fancies.  He's hoping to get something fun next year and it comes with Mum's blessing which was the biggest surprise of all, but possibly because she plans to steal it at any given opportunity.  I'm also going to be putting a deposit down on my BX replacement and when I have it back here you can all laugh at me and make hairdressing jokes because I shall deserve it.

The slides alone are worth more than that. I'm jealous. 

PCWorld have the very well regarded Sandisk Extreme 240gb for £130, so I now have a solid state hard drive in my laptop. It is wonderful. Applications open almost instantly, everything feels more responsive, it's amazing. Also the laptop runs cooler, battery life is increased and it's completely silent without the hard drive burbling away all the time. 

100% recommended if you want to pep up your computer a bit.

Hmmmm....

Some little while ago I was on a contract job, at the Birmingham Conference Centre, removing solid hdds from a shitload of restaurant tills as they were totally krappette...

Unrecoverable too, I believe :(

tooSavvy

Managing a nigh-on 50 mile bike ride today including one big bastard of a hill. On the way back we kept overtaking/being overtaken by some sort of 1930s Morris car that seemed to do about a mile before breaking down again.

Then later someone who's been pestering the life out of me to swap a cycle I have for an iPhone 5 suddenly decided he'd sold his phone when I said I'd only have it if I could get my mate who works at the Apple shop to check it out!

Last night I dreamt that I was on a tat-spotting mission, somewhere around the Med, when I bumped into Mr_Boll (who I've never met in reality). I was disappointed by how little he seemed to know about cars, he just vaguely repeated all the comments I made about the chod we found. The pinnacle of the whole event was spying what first appeared to be a Fiat Croma estate with some kind of pop-top camper conversion. On closer examination, though, it turned out to be a super-rare Saab that was popularly thought to be totally extinct. By the time I aimed my camera at it, however, it had started resembling a cross between a Citroen DS Safari, and a phase one Fiat Multipla. I'm not sure which version I'd be more elated to actually find in real life?

Making me grin this morning. On Friday afternoon, I "on-line" ordered and engine crane, trolley jack, and axle stands from a company in Derby, that I had never heard of. It has arrived already! http://www.sgs-engineering.com/ you get my vote, and UKMail for rapid, traceable delivery. The driver was very pleased to have it off his van so early. 80 kilos must have been quite a thing to be sitting behind his axle.

Hmmmm....

Some little while ago I was on a contract job, at the Birmingham Conference Centre, removing solid hdds from a shitload of restaurant tills as they were totally krappette...

Unrecoverable too, I believe :(

tooSavvy

I won't have one, they are far too unreliable. The technology isn't advanced enough, I lost few month old 4GB card the other day, and this is much smaller. I'll stick to my 2TB hard drive thanks.

Making me grin this morning. On Friday afternoon, I "on-line" ordered and engine crane, trolley jack, and axle stands from a company in Derby, that I had never heard of. It has arrived already! http://www.sgs-engineering.com/ you get my vote, and UKMail for rapid, traceable delivery. The driver was very pleased to have it off his van so early. 80 kilos must have been quite a thing to be sitting behind his axle.

What's the quality like AB, if you don't mind me asking. Looks like some good gear on that site.

Last night I dreamt that I was on a tat-spotting mission, somewhere around the Med, when I bumped into Mr_Boll (who I've never met in reality). I was disappointed by how little he seemed to know about cars, he just vaguely repeated all the comments I made about the chod we found. The pinnacle of the whole event was spying what first appeared to be a Fiat Croma estate with some kind of pop-top camper conversion. On closer examination, though, it turned out to be a super-rare Saab that was popularly thought to be totally extinct. By the time I aimed my camera at it, however, it had started resembling a cross between a Citroen DS Safari, and a phase one Fiat Multipla. I'm not sure which version I'd be more elated to actually find in real life?

It couldn't have been the "real" Mr Boll. The withering sarcasm would have had you awake in seconds, feeling guilty and loudly apologising to anyone who would listen.... Lol

What makes me grin? The Isle of Wight.

Never been there until last month.

I took a ferry to the 1980's, stayed for three days then came back to 2013.

Whenever I need a 80's fix, it's great to know it's there and time travel is only £73 return.

Nice!

That's how I feel about going to Shetland, except it's more like the 70s there.