What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

wanted to buy a ticket for a gig in belge cos it was not that far from calais and they do an afternoon gig which suits me - i can be there and back the same day

tried on their website and no

asked dutch friend and it wouldnt let him either - will only let belge cards pay apparently - all their gigs until the end of april apart from this one are sold out and the other one i can make is very northern germany in june where its closer to fly to copenhagen than ams :D into bremer on hamburg is two flights from here cba with that - dont wanna drive that as its 6 hours from calais

so theyve been emailed to ask if i can ring up and buy one or if they have alternate payment - this has happened before and ive asked to pay when arrive and theyve said yes

im driving it cos got a gift card from work that apparently can be used on eurotunnel - which is also cheaper than the plane and saves renting a car - even tho i could use the train but for 50 miles it takes 2+ hours from either airport

have got the train from amsterdam to brussels and while its nice dont wanna do that again

heres hoping they say yes - would like to do a gig not in winter :D in daylight

18 hours ago, neil1971 said:

Maybe one day they'll actually delete my account!

Photobucket.thumb.jpg.3fd9de73cd84778bb4cf62d2bd11de52.jpg

They will never delete your account. I had 40,000+ pictures in mine that I had built up over about 10 years. I was happy paying $39 a year for hosting, but when the pricing structure changed I stopped paying. After three years of emails saying they would delete my account with no real change in the pricing structure, I decided to delete it myself. There's no a few websites on teh interweb with some blank spaces were all my pictures were posted, but then who goes back and reads stuff on forums that's more than a few years old?

The days of free or cheap picture hosting are now long gone in a race to generate more ad revenue or make you sign up for an expensive subscription.

On 11/01/2024 at 15:11, rattlecan said:

My new engine for the RS2000 has just been dropped off. Just need to sort the transmission tunnel for the gearbox 😀

IMG_7213.gif

Years ago, I had an interview for a company that made ship engines. they took me around the factory.  The size of the lathe they were using for machining a piston was as big as a house. 

Nearly 3 miles on this today. Feels like a brake is dragging and the new fuel pump wants to overcome the float at idle occasionally. Will need rectified but was good to get it out. May have a Fouter with the charging system later on as just got a solid 12.7v at idle and little more when revved. I don't think the new regulator is the best of gear.

IMG_20240114_132459599_HDR.thumb.jpg.f84c06a4ecb14322d52a3366bd45a542.jpg

Heading home this morning I was waiting at a filter light to turn right onto the bypass.  The light to my left for the road into Norwich went green, and I heard the sound of wheelspin and an engine being caned.  I looked across expecting to see some spotty little scrote in a barried Golf, but it was only a bloody Rover 800 Vitesse!

I do, same model with different tat bolted on.  It isn't fast, 50 on the level, 70 down a huge hill according to GPS as speedo is optimistic.  Uphill you can drop below 30.

Chain is a bit thin for the weight of the bike so needs regular adjustment.  Obviously looks ridiculous to people who know what it is but if the L plate isn't obvious then non bikers think it's a lot bigger than it is.

On the right road it's great fun,  on the wrong one it's awful.

2 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

On the right road it's great fun,  on the wrong one it's awful.

TBH I'm only going to mess about with it and let my 13yr old play with it - it was peanuts so I don't mind him making a hash of it. It may stop him from keeping on asking to try my RS Aprilia! 

When I come to get rid I'll let you know in case you need anything from it before I start the roffle 😁

On 13/01/2024 at 15:20, hairnet said:

asked dutch friend and it wouldnt let him either - will only let belge cards pay apparently - all their gigs until the end of april apart from this one are sold out and the other one i can make is very northern germany in june where its closer to fly to copenhagen than ams :D into bremer on hamburg is two flights from here cba with that - dont wanna drive that as its 6 hours from calais

I'm guessing Bancontact only?  I lived in Belgium for just over a year and it was a pain in the arse to try and pay for anything without one of these.

I swept a chimney today.  

I might write elsewhere how I'm making some pretty chunky changes to life in a bid to find true, unabated contentment.  Part of this is increasing self reliance, so I thought I'd give it a go.  The National Association of Chimney Sweeps will claim I'm putting lives at risk, but their members charge £100 for what took me 20 minutes (rarely used chimney) and have a vested interest.  

I have to say, I really enjoyed it!  Borrowed a set of rods from a neighbour, the brush was conveniently the perfect size and I didn't end proceedings looking like a Golliwog either.  Managed to dislodge a sensible amount of soot, and a few twigs from the circling Jackdaws.  

Next job is to get a little man up on the roof to fit the cap I was gifted by another neighbour.  

Final Score: Daniel 1 - 0 Consumerism.

IMG_0292.thumb.JPEG.36c7b840e67c92b8106350b2bcc36c02.JPEG

IMG_0294.thumb.JPEG.92376f9ea11d26c2f2e25adda72ea9eb.JPEG