What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

IMAG6800.thumb.jpg.00dab5f02f39050e433cdb1ad926c570.jpg

That was a productive day's work.  As well as recording for future videos, taking photographs for reference, double checking bits between this and our car, and actually doing the removal of parts, I was fielding questions to the general public that stopped by for a chat.  If you're a social creature, get a 50s car and work on it on your drive, you'll never want for company again!

On 4/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, Remspoor said:

This guy should play the lottery too.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, Remspoor said:

This guy should play the lottery too.

There is a laundromat I used regularly which had this happen. "The Highlander" laundry in Pinedale, Wyoming was in the middle of the world's biggest natural gas drilling development in 2005, and some hoser came in with some coveralls straight from the drilling rig, soaked in distillates...the not oil/not gas liquid one has come out of an 8,000-ft.-deep well before the prime depth is reached. It's very flammable. He popped one or two pair of coveralls into the dryer after a wash --- their gaseous matter vapourized in the natural gas-fueled dryer and BOOM! The row of dryers all faced a couple of cheap plastic seats backed by a couple of  big windows and a concrete block structural wall. All of it was blown out into the parking lot by the blast and the whole wall had to be rebuilt before they reopened.

That's why there are signs at self-serve laundries saying NO DISTILLATES! NO GREASERS! NO DISGUSTING OIL & GREASE-SOAKED MECHANIC'S DUDS! 

5 hours ago, 62 Austin said:

There is a laundromat I used regularly which had this happen. "The Highlander" laundry in Pinedale, Wyoming was in the middle of the world's biggest natural gas drilling development in 2005, and some hoser came in with some coveralls straight from the drilling rig, soaked in distillates...the not oil/not gas liquid one has come out of an 8,000-ft.-deep well before the prime depth is reached. It's very flammable. He popped one or two pair of coveralls into the dryer after a wash --- their gaseous matter vapourized in the natural gas-fueled dryer and BOOM! The row of dryers all faced a couple of cheap plastic seats backed by a couple of  big windows and a concrete block structural wall. All of it was blown out into the parking lot by the blast and the whole wall had to be rebuilt before they reopened.

That's why there are signs at self-serve laundries saying NO DISTILLATES! NO GREASERS! NO DISGUSTING OIL & GREASE-SOAKED MECHANIC'S DUDS! 

Interesting, the hoser wasn't aware of the hazards? Noway a 60 degree C wash will eradicate those oils.

6 minutes ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

"full service history" , "oil, oil filter and air filter all changed within last 3 years " !!

Ok.

Indeed, with 4 miles on the clock, I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Today's news: my laptop has come back!  The hard drive was corrupted, apparently, no idea how that happened.  I asked if it was something I might have picked up off the internet, but apparently it isn't.  Then I asked if they'd managed to save my photo files.  Silence descended.

I've had a look in the system and it seems my photos might be backed up on Microsoft.  Haven't checked them individually yet, but there is a list of files.  Anyway it works; I'm talking to you ain't I?  That's a Grin!

I was doing some gardening today, so the 4x4 was on the front lawn with the gardening trailer attached. My mrs was going out to get some beer and wine for after the gardening was done, her car was blocked by my truck so she asked if she could borrow it. I unhitched the trailer and sent her on her way… but she forgot the throttle is a bit notchy on the truck, and whilst pulling away left a big number 11 diagonally across the lawn and mud tracks down the road 🤣 as if the neighbours don’t love me enough already…

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I've been wiring 3 phase motor start stuff today. I don't like 3 phase. Double, triple checked it all but there's always a pucker factor because there's a lot more energy and three times as much to do wrong.

ENGAGE SAFETY BRUSH:

2108555514_2023-04-0812_36_31.thumb.jpg.1cb3e14af1f93eb624a70fc7010ea8cb.jpg

It's fine. Just work 240 x 3 to make 415 and you'll be reet. 🤣

12 hours ago, cobblers said:

I've been wiring 3 phase motor start stuff today. I don't like 3 phase. Double, triple checked it all but there's always a pucker factor because there's a lot more energy and three times as much to do wrong.

ENGAGE SAFETY BRUSH:

2108555514_2023-04-0812_36_31.thumb.jpg.1cb3e14af1f93eb624a70fc7010ea8cb.jpg

A few years ago, I was regularly working on 125KW DC power supplies. 400v @350A going in and 800v DC @ 200A going out. In the middle of all this was a small PCB with half a dozen trim pots that needed to be individually adjusted. On my first day there, the managers safety talk comprised of "there is enough energy there to kill you, cremate you and blow your ashes actross the car park before your safety boots have melted into the concrete". I instantly became quite anal about applying safety lockouts on the power switches before going anywhere near it with a spanner.

Saw another TR7 in the wild today, second time this year!  Although, the gold badge on the boot claimed it was a TR8, so maybe it was, not long after a Stag went past too.  A 90s pre-facelift Mitsubishi Charisma was also seen before I ended up following an S reg Ford Focus saloon for a bit and was followed by a mk1 Ford Puma.  Quite an impressive assortment of stuff for what is a traditionally soggy bank holiday Monday.

08:00 ..... need to buy ATF for new barge
09:00 ..... still looking
10:00 ..... rest of household is getting breakfast, I've about to spend £££ - sorted.
11:15 .... Find 7 litres of Millermatic SP111 in the shed - allegedly Dextron II and III compatible - not sure if that make me happy or grumpy?