What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 5/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, richardmorris said:

My cousin’s wife has just won local election in new broughton wrexham as in independent. Didn’t know she was standing, and my cousin is in North Carolina at the moment for his son’s graduation.

What's her manifesto then? Empty bins for all? That would be a winner round our way.

28 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

What's her manifesto then? Empty bins for all? That would be a winner round our way.

Round our way it'd be roundabouts without potholes

2 years ago the resurfaced our street , I swear there was nothing wrong with it 

I asked the site manger why they were doing it 

His reply , somebody on the council  probably lives down here. 

There a dip in the road , probably caused by mining subsidence from Parkside,  after the resurfacing it's still there FFS 

2 hours ago, Wack said:

I had a mobile in 1990 on cellnet , it started with 0860 , I don't remember 04. I thought 1988-90 was the start of mobiles.

I do remember the phone ringing in the services cafe  once and everybody looking at me when I answered it .

It was that embarrassing I can even remember where it was , Corley northbound 

I think the first 4 digits id'd the network. I was on cellnet, i guess early 90s, turned into BT then 02, my prefix was 0411 with the last 6 the same as I have today. 

1 hour ago, reb said:

My new monitors mean I can browse the entire forum at once.

20220508_163159.thumb.jpg.f13b80c2d835eb6697df0b4cc967bc98.jpg

All are perfectly readable, each window is roughly the resolution of a normal 1080p screen.

It's great isn't it! You don't need one big window, just many tiny small ones all massive! 

Going into the office sucks as my programs open at their last size. So what was a small sensible window showing all of the content on my 4k screen suddenly spans across 2 1080 screens and vanishes into nowhere 😂

Then when I'm back at home everything's tiny

4 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It's great isn't it! You don't need one big window, just many tiny small ones all massive! 

Going into the office sucks as my programs open at their last size. So what was a small sensible window showing all of the content on my 4k screen suddenly spans across 2 1080 screens and vanishes into nowhere 😂

Then when I'm back at home everything's tiny

I wish I'd done it ages ago! There's two of them so I could have 8 sensibly sized browser windows open at any one time.

The only issue is if I maximise one them they're not hugely readable, entire paragraphs end up on one line! It's going to take a little bit of getting used to I think.

The reason I did the upgrade now is I've got so used to having a 4K screen attached to my work laptop (I bought the screen myself) that the 1080p ones just weren't comfortable to use anymore. It's amazing how a resolution and screen size that felt impossibly roomy when I got it can feel so cramped now. 100% scaling is nice for fitting as much as possible on the screen, but it's maybe a bit small for extended use, I'll try 125% and see how I get on.

I think we've reached the peak resolution of sensibly sized monitors now though, 8K might be a bit of an improvement, but I can't see anything past that actually being any more useable at sensible distances. Maybe one day once the prices come down a bit I'll get a couple of 40" 8K monitors!

1 hour ago, reb said:

I wish I'd done it ages ago! There's two of them so I could have 8 sensibly sized browser windows open at any one time.

The only issue is if I maximise one them they're not hugely readable, entire paragraphs end up on one line! It's going to take a little bit of getting used to I think.

The reason I did the upgrade now is I've got so used to having a 4K screen attached to my work laptop (I bought the screen myself) that the 1080p ones just weren't comfortable to use anymore. It's amazing how a resolution and screen size that felt impossibly roomy when I got it can feel so cramped now. 100% scaling is nice for fitting as much as possible on the screen, but it's maybe a bit small for extended use, I'll try 125% and see how I get on.

I think we've reached the peak resolution of sensibly sized monitors now though, 8K might be a bit of an improvement, but I can't see anything past that actually being any more useable at sensible distances. Maybe one day once the prices come down a bit I'll get a couple of 40" 8K monitors!

I still keep a 1080 in portrait mode for outlook and etc. Needs barely a glance to see what's there. Bar that like you I just resize to what's good (long thin windows are amazing) 

You tried the fancy zones program that's within windows power toys? That's handy 

10 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

You tried the fancy zones program that's within windows power toys? That's handy 

I run Kubuntu on my desktop and my work laptop is quite locked down. What does it do? Kubuntu lets you snap to a quarter of the screen, is it like that?

3 hours ago, reb said:

My new monitors mean I can browse the entire forum at once.

20220508_163159.thumb.jpg.f13b80c2d835eb6697df0b4cc967bc98.jpg

All are perfectly readable, each window is roughly the resolution of a normal 1080p screen.

38 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I still keep a 1080 in portrait mode for outlook and etc. Needs barely a glance to see what's there. Bar that like you I just resize to what's good (long thin windows are amazing) 

can all the nerd FRO please

*looks blankly at screen on potato

9 hours ago, hairnet said:

I wasn't expecting this

@PhilA

How much did it cost them to post that?

i only bought it on the 29th april - royal mail learn from this

120 bucks for a shit econo lodge - i dont think so lmao - hampton ftw

IMG_20220508_154831633.jpg

IMG_20220508_154837600.jpg

International postage from here is steep, regardless.

Those are $0.58 each.

I had cause to sit in my car for an hour or so the other day.

When I went to Northallerton I attempted to put the AC on as it was hot but opening the windows too noisy.

What I had actually done was to put it on recirculate :( which didn't help at all.

And I discovered the AC button.  Only right in front of my nose so no wonder I was unaware of it.

I have been using recirculate all winter and wondering why it was steaming the windows up.

Also discovered lots of things that the 'radio' does, except I never use the radio part of it.

Listened to a lot of music, I have a USB dongle that would take a month or more to plough through everything on it so lots of surprises as I have mostly forgotten much of what I put on it.

All very pleasant until I tried to start the car and had flattened the battery.  Could have done without that.

Also the American spell checker can sod off.