What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Many years ago, I used to visit clients at HMP Stocken (roughly north of Stamford). I sort of* happened to look at the Google Satellite view of it recently, and am left wondering about the wisdom of having a self-catering holiday cottage right next door to a Category C prison....
Isn't this just a plot device for a Porridge episode where Fletcher absconds?...

2 minutes ago, chodweaver said:
4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:
Many years ago, I used to visit clients at HMP Stocken (roughly north of Stamford). I sort of* happened to look at the Google Satellite view of it recently, and am left wondering about the wisdom of having a self-catering holiday cottage right next door to a Category C prison....

Isn't this just a plot device for a Porridge episode where Fletcher absconds?...

I'm sure the Porridge episode involved miles of desolate moor.....

22 hours ago, vulgalour said:

It's been a gorgeous day here and it's been wonderful to be just pottering about the garden and the cars just enjoying spring and all the life popping up, bumblebees, various birds, all that good stuff.  Proper mood enhancing stuff.

Couldn't agree more.  Every time I go for a bike ride now there are more daffs and primroses popping up on the verges, lambs in the fields and trees starting to bud.  Only downside is that if I go out too late in the evening I now run into clouds of midges hanging around under trees, but that's a minor inconvenience.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:18 AM, New POD said:

So mother in law's funeral yesterday. 

Where's the grin? 

She woke up in the middle of Saturday night saying her mum had been to see her and told her she was happy now and that she would be back again to make sure my wife was okay

Daughter. Son and his Fiancee, came Sunday.  And we had a lovely evening. 

Funeral was short but perfect, came back and had a buffet of mother in law's favourite food. 

Then we all went to the beach. 

Son and Fiancee went home yesterday, daughter goes home today. 

Wife is very calm and has actually slept through the night for the first time in months. 

Chat was mostly about son's new house, (survey came through whilst we were on the beach) and about the wedding at the end of June. 

My new suit was deemed very acceptable.  Apparently I need a white shirt. 

I digress.  Wife calm. I'm grinning. 

I too was happy to read this, although I initially misinterpreted this bit:

So mother in law's funeral yesterday. 

Where's the grin? 

She woke up in the middle of Saturday night

...and had to do a double take.

I drive a school bus, each day I do 420 Km's aka 261 miles. That includes to and from the school where the bus is parked by company car. One of the roads I drive the bus over is a diabolically rough rutted dirt road, the whole bus just crashes and shakes making an ear-splitting racket four times a day.

22 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Just watched some game show on BBC 1 about guessing who owns a house.  Quite entertaining, but the best bit was when they showed inside the garage, there was only a dusty Mk2 Granada Sapphire in there!

In my day that programme was called "THROUGH THE KEYHOLE".

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Reckon if I hooked this up to the fag lighter or similar then with the ignition on crank the handle like fuck it'd highlight any sub par wiring... 

20210325_133952.thumb.jpg.90abed02f40f03a070502e9237621d95.jpg

Reading the manual it does 500v... Nipples anyone? 

20210325_133955.thumb.jpg.8fe593099d39ba8c63ea877ce4be3d9b.jpg

ah the good old mega tester 

"here hold this while I turn this handle"

:mrgreen:

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Reckon if I hooked this up to the fag lighter or similar then with the ignition on crank the handle like fuck it'd highlight any sub par wiring... 

20210325_133952.thumb.jpg.90abed02f40f03a070502e9237621d95.jpg

Reading the manual it does 500v... Nipples anyone? 

20210325_133955.thumb.jpg.8fe593099d39ba8c63ea877ce4be3d9b.jpg

It's an insulation resistance tester. Still very much in use (albeit all mainstream ones are digital), I also believe you can still get these manual ones calibrated!

I doubt it'll help much with your lighter conundrums, however. It's also for use when the system is dead and isolated as shoving 500VDC through things like diodes, relays, dodgy contacts etc. can and will result in exciting fires.

While dicking around in the workshop last week, one of our tutors got some of my classmates to hold the probes. "Ooh! It tingles!" they said. If they probed other places, things would have been extremely funny horribly unsafe and could have resulted in permanent nerve damage.

43 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

It's an insulation resistance tester. Still very much in use (albeit all mainstream ones are digital), I also believe you can still get these manual ones calibrated!

I doubt it'll help much with your lighter conundrums, however. It's also for use when the system is dead and isolated as shoving 500VDC through things like diodes, relays, dodgy contacts etc. can and will result in exciting fires.

While dicking around in the workshop last week, one of our tutors got some of my classmates to hold the probes. "Ooh! It tingles!" they said. If they probed other places, things would have been extremely funny horribly unsafe and could have resulted in permanent nerve damage.

Its a piece of kit I've read about without realising, on all the service manuals up until the mid 90s they give the ohm readings of the field coil and other bits, I've got the perfect demo for it too, one of my 1930s Hoovers is fully re wired and another of them is fucking lethal... As long as I don't touch it it'd be interesting to see if its up to spec! 

Would I have anything to gain by servicing it? I'd like to have it apart to clean it, although is that a good idea? 

Already on the vacuum groups some of the old Hoover engineers have gone all teary eyed over it, apparently they don't like being dropped on a concrete floor from the bench. Noted! 

I'm ignoring the 'you might also like' suggestion of the better condition one with plain leather case. Only really wanted it for a cheap bit of Hoover history, once I've used it once it'll go away with the rest. 

I read something and it reminded me of this 

25  years ago my wife and I went to Luxor , the airport was chaos , all the planes seemed to land at once so passport control was a joke.

Coming back the queue was out of the airport

We got out of the taxi and a guy wearing a suit asked which airline we were flying with

Ah yes, this way please , he picked all the bags up and started walking down the queue so we followed him

We got almost to the front and he went up to a German couple , excuse me , excuse me. , they protested but moved and he put our bags where they'd been stood

There you are sir with his hand out

It was at that point I realised he didn't work at the airport 

I could feel the eyes burning into the back of my head 

5 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Its a piece of kit I've read about without realising, on all the service manuals up until the mid 90s they give the ohm readings of the field coil and other bits, I've got the perfect demo for it too, one of my 1930s Hoovers is fully re wired and another of them is fucking lethal... As long as I don't touch it it'd be interesting to see if its up to spec! 

Would I have anything to gain by servicing it? I'd like to have it apart to clean it, although is that a good idea? 

Already on the vacuum groups some of the old Hoover engineers have gone all teary eyed over it, apparently they don't like being dropped on a concrete floor from the bench. Noted! 

I'm ignoring the 'you might also like' suggestion of the better condition one with plain leather case. Only really wanted it for a cheap bit of Hoover history, once I've used it once it'll go away with the rest. 

With regards to calibration and servicing, it depends on if you want to use it as it was by the technicians. It's an analogue device and analogue devices require fine tuning to work correctly. For general cleaning, just whip it apart and see, I can't see any iddues apart from any cloth-covered wiring inside faling part or something.