What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm sure for most sparks, their retrofit nightmare is getting the board changed and all pretty, only to find that as soon as the upstairs lights are turned on, the whole house house goes dark and the sun is going down... Interesting, however, that it wasn't picked up during any of the dead testing that should've happened before the board was powered up but hey-ho. These things happen and happen they do.

Your a mind reader... Went to flick the landing light on and half the house went into darkness (not all of upstairs or all or downstairs either) 

I emailed the agent, I've got the blokes mobile but he's not who I need to tell. I've sellotaped the switch down but I bet when the kids wake for a slash in the night it'll go on and stuff will go off! (only the lights though no nothing important) 

1 minute ago, beko1987 said:

Your a mind reader... Went to flick the landing light on and half the house went into darkness (not all of upstairs or all or downstairs either) 

I emailed the agent, I've got the blokes mobile but he's not who I need to tell. I've sellotaped the switch down but I bet when the kids wake for a slash in the night it'll go on and stuff will go off! (only the lights though no nothing important) 

Oh noes! I suspect a borrowed neutral, between circuits downstairs and upstairs to facilitate a landing light, is the cause. Sharing a neutral wire between two different RCD protected circuits will cause a current imbalance going through the respective RCDs and switch them off pronto (you'll have an 18th Edition board so they're probably RCBOs but let's be simple here). If any inspection happened prior, this would probably have been found and rectified as they're a right bastard to track down when the breaker is constantly tripping. As everything electrically worked before and still technically does, most of the testing wouldn't have shown it either... I'm fairly sure a continuity test would have but thet's usually limited to installing new circuits.

You've probably thought of this already, but, might you be able to plug in a light into the wall? Even better, remove the lamp from the holder(s) in the ceiling so no electricity can flow through the bad circuit. Should tide you over until the agent calls back the electrician for some faultfinding.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Oh noes! I suspect a borrowed neutral, between circuits downstairs and upstairs to facilitate a landing light, is the cause. Sharing a neutral wire between two different RCD protected circuits will cause a current imbalance going through the respective RCDs and switch them off pronto (you'll have an 18th Edition board so they're probably RCBOs but let's be simple here). If any inspection happened prior, this would probably have been found and rectified as they're a right bastard to track down when the breaker is constantly tripping. As everything electrically worked before and still technically does, most of the testing wouldn't have shown it either... I'm fairly sure a continuity test would have but thet's usually limited to installing new circuits.

You've probably thought of this already, but, might you be able to plug in a light into the wall? Even better, remove the lamp from the holder(s) in the ceiling so no electricity can flow through the bad circuit. Should tide you over until the agent calls back the electrician for some faultfinding.

I've got a smart bulb in the hallway so I can get Google to turn it off once I've got the bedroom light on. The bayonet fitting is scabby as fuck with the wires pulled out (and the whole thing is seized, I tried to open it to tidy it up the other week) so I'd not be surprised if it was an easy fix. 

Equally, not long after we moved in I went to fit a lampshade in a bedroom and the wires and some tape came away with it... Was an extension taped together FFS. re routed the wire in the loft to reach but that'll be a bundle of laughs if he needs to get at the wiring up there... Won't think about it just yet! 

We found some of 1991s finest blue flowery wallpaper behind the old box though! Exactly the type Gary and Yvonne had in 1990s Goodnight Sweetheart, the Hoover Aquamaster era. Sadly the new box covered it up

15 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I presume you have qualifications to back up your 100% correct pub chat diagnosis! He wasn't here 3 minutes, all sorted! 

47 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I presume you have qualifications to back up your 100% correct pub chat diagnosis! He wasn't here 3 minutes, all sorted! 

As it happens, I'm an apprentice electrician who has spent way too much time reading the regs books and watching videos on YouTube. I'm presently at college learning how to wire stuff correctly, what to look at when things go wrong and what tests matter and why we do them. Living in an old and mucked about with house helps as well! When time allows I'll be shoehorned into other courses that'll make me fully qualified.

Glad it got sorted so quickly!

2 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

As it happens, I'm an apprentice electrician who has spent way too much time reading the regs books and watching videos on YouTube. I'm presently at college learning how to wire stuff correctly, what to look at when things go wrong and what tests matter and why we do them. Living in an old and mucked about with house helps as well! When time allows I'll be shoehorned into other courses that'll make me fully qualified.

Glad it got sorted so quickly!

Well, I'd say you're doing very well at it all, keep going!

On 3/8/2021 at 6:21 PM, hairnet said:

just watching the top gear again where theyre in spain and lots of it is abandoned @Jerzy Woking im sure ive found out where and forgotten - how much to rent smol bike :D

i want to visit the dead end road and want an R8 just for the noise

I know the airport has only had one plane land there in the last couple of years, and is still unused.

The road is in the Sierra Nevada somewhere, but having ridden through it, all I can say is it is stunning, it's a big area, and we never found the road that runs out.

3 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I know the airport has only had one plane land there in the last couple of years, and is still unused.

The road is in the Sierra Nevada somewhere, but having ridden through it, all I can say is it is stunning, it's a big area, and we never found the road that runs out.

Pico del Veleta... maybe