Jump to content
outlaw118

What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, omegod said:

For me it's a great car programme, Tim's a bit of a pillock but Fuzz is ace and could carry a show on his own 

Agreed , some of the episodes are more about the right car than the right owner though, like the DB6 , it looked to me like he could've afforded the cost of repairs , I did read somewhere he sold it soon after for £££ too so not the car of his dreams then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wack said:

The Lamborghini Espada episode was the best one I've seen in a while , the guy who's car it was genuinely didn't have a clue when they gave it back , loads of health problems but if he'd died the next day he would've died a much wealthier happy man.

FTFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wack said:

Agreed , some of the episodes are more about the right car than the right owner though, like the DB6 , it looked to me like he could've afforded the cost of repairs , I did read somewhere he sold it soon after for £££ too so not the car of his dreams then 

A few episodes have had me in tears when you see the shock and gratitude of the recipient, like yourself I've questioned the cause in one or two cases but the quality of the work carried out is excellent, unlike Wheeler dealers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, omegod said:

A few episodes have had me in tears when you see the shock and gratitude of the recipient, as you say a few I've questioned the cause in one or two cases but the quality of the work carried out is excellent, unlike Wheeler dealers 

It was dusty in here when they gave him the espada back , the guy had rebuilt the engine himself to a high standard they said so it was a genuine one , he'd had it since 1977 , paid 4k for it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, omegod said:

For me it's a great car programme, Tim's a bit of a pillock but Fuzz is ace and could carry a show on his own 

Fuzz had an open evening a couple if years back at his unit in Oldbury, that a mate dragged me to.  I had a little chat with him, and he seemed very normal.  Not up himself at all. In fact very much like a chilled out version of his TV persona 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hairnet said:

prices of iridium plugs

fuck!

Agreed. Unless you have to remove inlet manifolds etc to get at them I tend to buy the bog standard branded versions. Same with headlamp bulbs too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, omegod said:

For me it's a great car programme, Tim's a bit of a pillock but Fuzz is ace and could carry a show on his own 

Replace "bit of a pillock" with "utter flange" and I would agree 100%.

I find it's best to record the show and fast forward all the bits where Tim is on screen. 

If I see one more hilarious* attempt to blag* parts or services then I might throw something at the TV. 

There is that other thing,  I can't remember what it's called with some twat called Henry from Fix it, Flog it who bodges up old crap with rattle cans while his quiet mate does all the actual work and they sell the result for Fuck all. Can't stand that either. 

I think Wheeler dealers is a bit better these days even though I don't like Ant Amstrad. 

The best car show on at the moment for me is Bangers and Cash following Matthewsons classic auctions.  Main man Derek seems to really have a passion for old cars and would be a top bloke to chat with in the pub. 

Remember pubs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

The best car show on at the moment for me is Bangers and Cash following Matthewsons classic auctions.  Main man Derek seems to really have a passion for old cars and would be a top bloke to chat with in the pub. 

I'm with you on that and had been planning a visit later this year taking in the NYMR steam choo-choos at same time. Seems unlikely to happen now. IIRC he has his own boozer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a rarity in the garden recently, couldn't get a picture because it scooted off as soon as it arrived so I stole the below from the internets with thanks to http://www.somersetmothgroup.org.uk.  Bombilius Major, or Bee Fly.  I've never seen one in person before and they're absolutely adorable looking little things, like something from a Ghibli film.

f5968e80.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right. A couple of grins tonight. 

1) I'm apparently a key worker so I get to go to work. This in itself is a major grin as I'm lost if I'm not kept busy. 

2) The roads are EMPTY. This means people are, at least locally, obeying the rules. It also means I can drive like a twat sensibly, Officer. 

3) Working in the yard unloading and reloading a lorry tonight, I was having a chat with the driver, who remarked on how clear and fresh the air is. My work is right on the A30, not far from the M3, and wedged between several towns and villages, not necessarily conducive to pleasant air... But The air tonight was so fresh and stunningly quiet, it really was something else. Lovely. A pleasure to be outside on such a refreshing evening. Would repeat. If only we could have this little shit in the air all the time eh... Definitely an eye opener. 

Right, Greenpeace propaganda finished, now where did I leave the keys to my V8..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 11:35 PM, omegod said:

For me it's a great car programme, Tim's a bit of a pillock but Fuzz is ace and could carry a show on his own 

I photographed Fuzz drumming with The Beat in London on the German culture ship..MS STUBNITZ..and RIP Roger Ranking..such a nice bloke as well...we gently kidnapped him for a photoshoot..thats me on his left

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ChrisWilliams said:

Agreed. Unless you have to remove inlet manifolds etc to get at them I tend to buy the bog standard branded versions. Same with headlamp bulbs too 

Takes about an hour and a half to do the plugs on the omega, and i gave up trying when i had the juke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Saw a rarity in the garden recently, couldn't get a picture because it scooted off as soon as it arrived so I stole the below from the internets with thanks to http://www.somersetmothgroup.org.uk.  Bombilius Major, or Bee Fly.  I've never seen one in person before and they're absolutely adorable looking little things, like something from a Ghibli film.

r

We had something that looked like that hovering  in our garden yesterday. For the few minutes it was there it stayed in the same spot.

It looked like a hovering honey-monster..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, hairnet said:

prices of iridium plugs

fuck!

I remember working at the spares place when Toyota announced one of their models had plugs that would last 60k.

Oh shit we thought. Plugs must be 20% of our sales. 

We were  relieved to see they cost £80 a set.  Better yet, they didn't last anything like 60k.

Made a change from old gits complaining that N9Ys used to cost a shilling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I remember working at the spares place when Toyota announced one of their models had plugs that would last 60k.

Oh shit we thought. Plugs must be 20% of our sales. 

We were  relieved to see they cost £80 a set.  Better yet, they didn't last anything like 60k.

Made a change from old gits complaining that N9Ys used to cost a shilling. 

One of our customers imports metals. They send samples to us to test. We can’t do iridium as no acid does anything - boiling away in nitric, sulphuric or aqua regia for days on end, it looks the same as when it went in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty poor timing for the wife to leave her cushty job in schools and come and work with me, but 10 days in it's going really well. She's great on the phone and an absolute dab hand with the desoldering gun. But for some reason she seems to absolutely love sandblasting stuff.

image.thumb.png.a715b1d378b26a26d7df73df92ca31fd.png

I only gave her a quick go on it because it gives you massive static shocks every few seconds and I thought it would be funny, but now I can't get her away from it, I've got piles of stuff that needs doing but I have to keep dragging her off it when the air compressor is about to go on fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...