What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Caught some prick fly tipping a couple of weeks back. Made him pick up what I saw him chuck and put it into his car, but unfortunately there was some other stuff he'd hidden which I missed. Took the missus to work last night, familiar looking vehicle going down a drive way. Picked her up this morning, same car (which rang a bell from somewhere) was coming out of the same drive way. Guess who it was? Someone's getting their shit back with a bit of interest on top early one morning.

Left home almost a week ago as I was fed up with the miserable weather, and headed to Chez Saabnut Fr

At 1030 ECT as I was heading for the morning Croissants, the temp was 34c. The Saab was still in the shade of the barn where it was parked yesterday

In the sun it is showing 39c

Just like* Aberdeenshire

13 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I think our new dog has a pretty good approach to life...this is her currently flopped in front of the air conditioning outlet.

1992607287_IMG-20190723-WA00132.thumb.jpg.b49731e64e6ed4e55a0b3748e19a2210.jpg

In the interests of balance, here's the other one earlier today...

IMG_20190721_131820.thumb.jpg.afb62c00f71d868665760db6c36b594f.jpg

She'll be lulling you into a false sense of security, and will pounce at the drop of a dog treat.....

Well,that's how it goes with our pack,most of which are just enjoying the 30°c heat

20190401_134300.jpg

8 hours ago, andy18s said:

She'll be lulling you into a false sense of security, and will pounce at the drop of a dog treat.....

Well,that's how it goes with our pack,most of which are just enjoying the 30°c heat

20190401_134300.jpg

That is some quality doggage going on there.

Still grinning! Only an idiot who tolerates Scottish summers (the rain is slightly warmer) would still be grinning.

Had to go to the supermarket as beer stocks were getting low. In the shade of the barn, this was the temperature:

temp1.jpg.547b43d2bd6220a669d9d0123a9baf88.jpg

As I got home, this was the temperature in the supermarket car park

temp2.jpg.536c9be93f59cac57e570d44cee6fc37.jpg

3 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Still grinning! Only an idiot who tolerates Scottish summers (the rain is slightly warmer) would still be grinning.

Had to go to the supermarket as beer stocks were getting low. In the shade of the barn, this was the temperature:

temp1.jpg.547b43d2bd6220a669d9d0123a9baf88.jpg

As I got home, this was the temperature in the supermarket car park

temp2.jpg.536c9be93f59cac57e570d44cee6fc37.jpg

Trust you bought plenty of beer to compensate for that sort of temperature.

I've just come back along the M56 in the van with all the windows open, it's awful, fan is blowing hot air in your face while the usually cooler air coming in the side windows is just the same , couldn't wait to get out of it

Got tickets for carfest north tomorrow , I'm really hoping it cools down a bit

3 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Where are you fumbler? Just buying stuff for a BBQ!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Sheltering in my study (because smallest room) down in Sussex with dehumidifyer to try and make the conditions bearable. Unfortunately it's upstairs and upstairs will be significantly hotter than downstairs for a while.

8 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

The old shite car market is crashing isn't it? Prices are all over the shop and I'm seeing stuff for sale at reasonable prices again?

Anyone else noticed? 

Yes I have noticed this and very much so. Some of it is a seasonal thing. Late winter, early spring people buy the minters for summer fun. Early winter people buy their winter projects. Right now it's that intermediate time when stuff doesn't sell. Usually though stuff comes on now and hangs around until Sept-Oct till it drops as a bargain. After school holidays are over those bargains get snapped up. Likewise December-January time is another bargain period. 

However I have noticed the slow down before then. Stuff that is reasonably priced and mint is selling. Those that are scrap and priced accordingly does too. Stuff in the middle that is functional but a bit shabby, just isn't selling. 

Also I think people are holding off expensive purchases until the big B is over. Especially as there is so much uncertainty and the economy worldwide is a bit shaky at the moment. 

Pretty certain I was the only one looking at the Sprint I bought. It's why I think I got it for a very good price - compared to earlier this year/last. 

Just had text message from daughter.  She is now officially a fully qualified, pharmacist. 

She's done her 4 years at uni, and her year as a pre-reg and taken the final exam a few weeks back.  Now she's able to start her new job in a hospital in Manchester. 

So fucking proud. My wife will be relieved. Our job is done* (never done) 

11 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

The old shite car market is crashing isn't it? Prices are all over the shop and I'm seeing stuff for sale at reasonable prices again?

Anyone else noticed? 

Certainly hope so as my C5 looks terminal.

Hoping to pick up an estate, 406/7, V60 or perhaps an Octavia.

Just as well BoJo is recruiting 20,000 extra police* as the country is obviously overrun with dangerous criminals with no concern for the safety of anyone around them. 

Screenshot_20190726-141849.thumb.png.82492dad9636f5a430d721f2a20870a1.png

Its the sticker manufacturers that need to be made responsible. They are nothing but enablers to these sickos. 

This year has been good, business wise.  I'm still not megarich, obvs, but I'm not struggling now.  Taking a hard look at what I was doing and culling certain items from the regular update schedule - such as the automotive stuff - has proven to be very sensible.  The interesting bit is my customer base.  Some of my customers have been with me for years, what they want has pretty much stayed constant for the last decade and it offers some contrast with new, younger customers.  Where I used to offer character development, research, attention to detail on clothing construction, etc. with any sort of character artwork, that's no longer required.  Now, younger customers want simple designs, bright colours, and no complicated backstories.  We've gone from slow burn to instant hit, character development to snapshot.  I see the same thing with the way people interact with me on commissions, across the board.  Older generation customers are happy to converse via e-mail, newer generation want to send a 5 word, 3 emoji instant message, and both want the same end result.  It's like learning a new language some days.

I'm just happy in my job.  It's been a long old slog and right now it feels like it's paying off.  It feels good to feel confident and appreciated for what I do.  There's not a huge amount of people that can say that and genuinely mean it, not even me until recently.