What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just spent a very enjoyable morning with the Model T Ford Register. Vintage cars aren't really my cup of tea but it proved there's still hope for getting the younger generation interested in cars made long before they were born as one of the Ts was being piloted very confidently by a pretty girl in her early twenties. I bet most people her age wouldn't even have a clue how to drive one of those.

Even better than that, the event was on a farm. I love exploring farms as farmers like both hoarding chod and renting out space to other car people, and this one was no exception. The Alfa 2600 was unexpected enough, but what's that little red sportster alongside it?

post-5267-0-69099100-1553963997_thumb.jpg

Been pinging about the sunny Scottish countryside in the newly acquired AX.

Back to basics motoring that made me grin.

Looking at the logbook back home and I find it is a 1.0 AX Elation. that made me laugh, never mind grin!

The ax is a good design, but my feet don’t fit. Even the x1/9’s pedals have more space.

Took the Laurel out on a very enjoyable 70-mile tour around Suffolk yesterday. No photos, as we had places to be and stuff to buy, it was just the car I happened to use as the weather was decent.

Drove it along the A1120 which they signpost as a Tourist Route. It's not exactly like driving through the Lake District, but it's a good road which was ideal for the Laurel. Runs through the rather sparsely populated and overlooked area of North Suffolk. Some might describe it as bleak, but I worked around there 25+ years ago and it was good to revisit roads I used to drive along in my Manta A/Sunny/160J. Got overtaken by an age-appropriate W-reg Suzuki bike and saw a few other old things out and about.

Saw what I think was a Standard Ensign rotting away at some strange farm/garage/scrap place where I went to look at paving slabs, felt like somewhere that hadn't changed for 30-40 years.

I had a dream last night that I was watching the news and there was an item about a man being arrested after being caught doing 130mph in a Peugeot 403 fitted with a tuned VW 1.8 Turbo engine.

I think I spend too much time on Autoshite.

Make it happen!

Draguar needs some money spent on it. Front tyres, front discs and pads but also it's doing this weird hot starting issue. After a hot start will idle at about 600rpm for anything up to a minute and in that time doesn't respond to the accelerator pedal. Googling suggests that it might be as simple* as an ecu software update. I havent had this corroborated by any of the diagnostic companies I've called though. I've done a bluetooth dongly search on it and had a fault of P0251 something to do with fuel metering control. I went ahead and did an injector leak off test and i think all 4 are showing too high leak off rates. So, reconditioned injectors are £100-140 a pop. Our £1000 Jag is quickly looking like £850 of repairs.

So why grin?

After looking into a loan for a 5 year old Blingo or PCP on a Ford Tourneo Courier (modern shite) I had a 20 min discussion with the wife on her favorite* subject. "Why dont we just buy a third banger to have as a spare for when one of the other two needs fixing".

And that in a sentence is why I love her so much.

NOT A VIDEO clickbait... Look at my professional leak off kit...ebbed2c9138c91ad427f90b34fdbda5d.jpg

The simple joy of running up an old really good quality electric motor for the first time since you found it at the kerbside, and discovering it to run almost completely silently. The bearings are so good that the thing took nearly a full minute to spin down from 1400rpm.

They just don't make stuff like that any more...not for a little 1/3hp general purpose motor anyway...

I got a compressor off ebay fairly cheap. I was going to drive down in the mrs's car because MPGS, but she was at work so I went in the van.

post-3886-0-90494000-1554153728_thumb.jpg

It's a fucking good job I did! I have no idea how I'm going to get it out in the morning. It's longer than the van is wide, I seriously underestimated how much 200L is!

The bloke has a mint 20k 1300 late mk1 metro for sale for 2k, and it looked worth every penny. If it was a 3 door I think I'd have been trying to fit that in the back of my van too.

Also won some massive parts cabinets very cheaply, but they're in Epsom, Surrey and I'm in Chesterfield. I really don't want to drive all that way and deal with M25 etc, but they are probably cheap enough to justify it.