What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Anyway let's see a cool old car to settle things down, my body shop pal has finally gotten around to painting one of his own projects

attachicon.gif20181228_125137.jpgattachicon.gif20181228_125153.jpg

Smoke grey over old English white....? Looks too bluey to be Smoke Grey though and it's not Aqua. Four door MG1300's are rare, 1967-8 only IIRC. I do like an ADO16.

You can never win an argument on the internet.  Back in 1869, John Stuart Mill explained why:

"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it.  For if it were accepted as a result of argument, the refutation of the argument might shake the solidity the conviction; but when it rests solely on feeling, the worse it fares in argumentative contest, the more persuaded its adherents are that their feeling must have some deeper ground, which the arguments do not reach; and while the feeling remains, it is always throwing up fresh entrenchments of argument to repair any breach made in the old."

Let's chat shite.

There were some CDs in the local charity shop for 50p each.  So I threw caution to the wind and splurged £1.50 on some 90s gems:

Prince & The New Power Generation - Diamonds and Pearls.  This is THE MOST NINETIES THING I own.  It's more nineties than my R8 with three spoke alloys.

Alisha's Attic - Alisha Rules the World

Black Box - Dreamland

Happy Festive Period to me.

Smoke grey over old English white....? Looks too bluey to be Smoke Grey though and it's not Aqua. Four door MG1300's are rare, 1967-8 only IIRC. I do like an ADO16.

I don't know the exact shades he has used I didn't ask

It may sound sad to some, he has a mk2 jag, a Daimler equivalent, a jag xkr, Merc 114 pillarless coupe and this is one of his dream cars to own as it's what he learned to drive in way back when

I saw a Maestro van with what looked like a fibreglass hi-top on the M74 this morning! No photos however (boo!), I was driving.

There was a camper conversion called the Tandy that had a high top.post-17414-0-75652200-1546028554_thumb.jpegpost-17414-0-05387900-1546028569_thumb.jpeg

I think the white one is a Tandy, there are a couple of other pictures similar on Google, not sure about the green one , it seems to have a full length high roof.

And we’re back on the road. Misfire on Mondeo traced to bad connector on coil. When I took the coil off the wires had fatigued. Let in another connector from the spare coil and it’s back to normal. I’d have soldered it but it’s pitch black, freezing and I’m hungry so crimping it will have to suffice.

Saw an actual Dodge Spacevan earlier, in 'well-used work hack' condition - and signwritten for a local business too. Terrible pic quickly taken backwards over my shoulder from about 75yds away in the dusk and cropped to buggery, but you get the idea and you can be sure I'll be popping in there shortly to have a quick chat with the proprietor...

post-17915-0-20596800-1546030481_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the natural home for this is the Lazy Spotters thread, but I was grinning like a loon for a good hour after that, so I reckon it's not wasted here either.

My old Fiesta passed its MOT today with no advisories.  Win!  It's done about 10K in the year.

Backstory is that I sold it a few months after I got the Golf a couple of years ago.  I loved that car but it needed a lot doing.  New cambelt, etc. amounting to about a grand's worth.  Sold it to a new driver and his Dad for less than I'd planned, who had some contacts to get the work done.  It was a bloody good car to me and I had it about 6 years, so I'm very pleased that it's still on the road and going strong.

Sorted out another year's cover for the Golf this afternoon, 8K social and commuting to and from work fully comp with protected no co claims for £170 on the nose!

Granted, I may be 36, going bald and becoming progressively more portly but at least my insurance is now cheap.

Neighbour "who doesn't drink but gets shit loads of booze as presents from customers" has just passed this years red cross parcel in, he apologised for not having any single malt for me this year but had thoughtfully popped a bottle of Remy Martin Cognac in amongst some very nice wines 

I love my neighbour , Hic  :-P

Tonight I am embalming myself in Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey which explains why I'm chilled about my thread being deleted. I'm a strange case of someone who's more mellow when pissed.

Like for chilling and your hugely entertaining posts elsewhere, not liked for hideous JD substance 

Jewson’s Tamworth, their wagon is off the road so the very helpful guy there arranged for their Stechford branch to deliver (a round trip of about 40 miles). When the guy arrived there was only my stuff on the back which was a bit surprising as it was only 15 minutes into the delivery times for a Saturday. I asked if I was his last drop, he said that I was his only drop. So they have bothered to arrange a guy to come in specially on a Saturday for a couple of hours to do that trip on a £50 order of plasterboard. They havent made any money on It dont think but they have impressed me with their customer service and will be getting my custom. And the guy was a fan of my Capri and an ex Capri owner as well so we spent twenty minutes talking old cars.

Spent yesterday walking round Eastbourne with the dog whilst my OH went to a funeral and a wake. Got home had tea and was asleep in bed for just gone 9!

The dog was just as shattered having spent a lot of time swimming in the sea.

Left at 9 this morning to take my son to a guitar lesson and the dog popped out to the toilet then went back to bed..

No, I don't. I didn't find it particularly amusing but there again, I'm pretty tolerant.

Genuine racism, discrimination, poverty and homelessness are things that disturb me and are worthy of contempt. Thank God you're here to guide us, however. 

What about job discrimination? ;)

In fairness he would have been booked in to work anyway so they may as well do the delivery rather than hang about doing yard work.

Like Travis Perkins - Jewsons are massively variable when it comes to attitude and prices dependant on branch staff

Nope, they phoned him yesterday and asked if he could do a couple of hours he said. I have spent quite a lot with them recently but even still they have gone above and beyond a couple of times now. They didn’t have any plasterboard screws in on a previous visit so one of the lads dropped them off on his way home the next day. Like any chain some will be better than others but I would recommend Tawmworth/ Stechford branches to anyone. People are quick to moan but not as quick to comment on good service so I will fire off an email to the boss to say thanks.

Mint sauce should be in vinegar which preserves things, it'll be fine if it smells ok - probably

Not the best tasting, but only in a bland way. I don’t worry about best before dates as long as stuff isn’t obviously off. I wouldn’t normally go for it at 04/15 expiry but needs must.

Proving to myself that I was in fact not losing my marbles when I was bloody sure a few months ago that I'd bought a fuel filter for the Lada, which then promptly vanished without trace.

Just found it.

post-21985-0-10778900-1546105606_thumb.jpg

Yes, that little blue box hiding in the manual shelf on the bloody engine analyser.

post-21985-0-98969900-1546105688_thumb.jpg

Well at least I can change the sod now!

The fact I'd not been able to find that had been really bugging me.