What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

We had one of these in out last house, built in the 1930's.

I planned on getting it to work but 14 years wasn't long enough so we left it for the next owners, who probably skipped it as they did with the stained glass windows etc. in order to create a glass monstrosity.

There have been (at least) two incidents of that quite locally. Some really, really nice probably 1930's large houses having been bought by some twat/s with shares in grey paint and bad taste. From lovely, characterful houses that were easy on the eye, they've turned into vile 'new money' style shit palaces. 

I spy a mercury tilt switch  (interesting 3 position mercury tilt switch too)

so im guessing some sort of old thermostat?

You should have got this lightBulbFun :) It's a timer relay for a lighting circuit. In this instance there were 4 push buttons to control a light over some stairs. Push any button and the solenoid activates momentarily, tips the mercury switch and sets the pendulum going. Pendulum swings and with mechanical magic tips the mercury back and the lights go off. There's a cam to adjust time delay.

I'll be replacing it with a solid state gizmo that'll fit behind one of the switches. This one had to go because the room it was in will be a shower.

Electro-mechanical gubbins. Given that the bottom quadrant piece looks like it's designed to swing, some kind of indicator. Servant's call bell box like this, but for one room/door (rear/delivery entrance)

attachicon.gifButlers-Servants-Bell-Call-Box-5.jpg

My parents have the exact same one in their breakfast room. The house is about 1910 and when they moved in had the pull cords in the rooms.

Didn't know which thread to put this in

At a boot sale this morning I saw a mountain bike with a small petrol engine fitted

Not a heath robinson one, it looked professionally built

The guy riding it was American, no crash helmet or number plate , I didn't speak to him but wondered if he'd bought it with him from the US because surely it needs registering as a moped

post-20755-0-44286800-1540755888_thumb.jpg

You should have got this lightBulbFun :) It's a timer relay for a lighting circuit. In this instance there were 4 push buttons to control a light over some stairs. Push any button and the solenoid activates momentarily, tips the mercury switch and sets the pendulum going. Pendulum swings and with mechanical magic tips the mercury back and the lights go off. There's a cam to adjust time delay.

I'll be replacing it with a solid state gizmo that'll fit behind one of the switches. This one had to go because the room it was in will be a shower.

Crap :) I had a hunch it may of been some sort of time switch

but I remembered that some old thermostat units have mercury tilt switches in them (you hear about it from time to time (heh) in Lawsuit land also known as the US) so decided to go with that

but since this is a good excuse to mention lightbulbs (hah like I need a good excuse :) ) find anything interesting in the house?

IIRC France back in the old days used to be 110V but used Bayonet capped lightbulbs, wonder if theres anything hiding in the loft or such?

At a boot sale this morning I saw a mountain bike with a small petrol engine fitted

The guy riding it was American, no crash helmet or number plate , I didn't speak to him but wondered if he'd bought it with him from the US because surely it needs registering as a moped

Project Farm did some tests on those engines. They seem pretty nice and the finished outcome can be good but the guards and universal mounts aren't really "universal". Horrendous breaking in mixture you have to use on one of those! (thinking it's 15 parts oil to 1 part petrol).

We've just been on holiday to Greece for my wife's 40th birthday, and went back (briefly) to the same small village that we spent some time in on our first holiday together some 20 years ago. I didn't ask for a re-run of the photo though!

post-5223-0-01508800-1540763114_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-62765400-1540763224_thumb.jpg

Oh, and as a bonus saw this on the back streets of Athens!

post-5223-0-24570200-1540763707_thumb.jpg

I have exactly the same kit, bought from eBay for the princely sum of £60 and used to hoon around at work. Particularly fun on wet grass will bald tyres. Made in China and properly rough in places but works ok. I still have a second kit brand new sat in its box.

I have exactly the same kit, bought from eBay for the princely sum of £60 and used to hoon around at work. Particularly fun on wet grass will bald tyres. Made in China and properly rough in places but works ok. I still have a second kit brand new sat in its box.

Are they road legal , I know electric motors are exempt but surely adding a petrol engine to a pushbike takes in into insurance, road tax MOT Helmets

Are they road legal , I know electric motors are exempt but surely adding a petrol engine to a pushbike takes in into insurance, road tax MOT Helmets

Nope, certainly not. I can’t imagine the amount of red tape you would need to do to get one properly road legal. But the joys that is eBay means you can buy one direct from a Chinese province to your door for the price of a decent meal out for four.

To balance things out, after whinging about my ex on the GOP thread, here's the soppy post I put on Facebook...

2 years living with this awesome lady, you make every day brighter and I'm forever grateful I found you. Love you loads xxx

post-1804-0-51228700-1540767700_thumb.jpg

She tolerates my shit taste in cars and my son adores her. She's everything I need and want. 

:)

Nope, certainly not. I can’t imagine the amount of red tape you would need to do to get one properly road legal. But the joys that is eBay means you can buy one direct from a Chinese province to your door for the price of a decent meal out for four.

They're actually quasi-legal to ride here.

I built a 49cc one (that's the 66 in the picture) because anything under 50cc doesn't need to be registered here, but needs to have all the correct "bicycle" things on it (lights and brakes and stuff).

post-5454-0-64295900-1540771715_thumb.jpg

So long as the design speed is less than 25moh you are ok.

Ride like a moron and expect to be pulled though. Most cops here are intrigued rather than angry about the use. They think it's a good idea of getting about cheaply.

Also

post-5454-0-37408900-1540771608_thumb.jpg

New garage radio. Cleaned up there, it was vile. Even the CD player works, and the subwoofer now works after a bit of reassembly.

Phil

My grin?

Daughter came around with her Bini.

She wants me to fix the airbag.

I take her out to the car. Show her the expensive BMW specific code reader in the glove box. Show her the OBD 2 socket.

Get her to plug it in and work out how to read the fault and here the thing. Fix the fault by erasing the code.

Airbag light caused by the seat belt pretensioner now off. 7 half empty plastic bottles of water now in recycle bin and not under passenger seat.

So she now knows how to use the diagnostic tool as good as me.

They're actually quasi-legal to ride here.

I built a 49cc one (that's the 66 in the picture) because anything under 50cc doesn't need to be registered here, but needs to have all the correct "bicycle" things on it (lights and brakes and stuff).

attachicon.gif20180701_182651.jpg

So long as the design speed is less than 25moh you are ok.

Ride like a moron and expect to be pulled though. Most cops here are intrigued rather than angry about the use. They think it's a good idea of getting about cheaply.

Also

attachicon.gif20181028_174642.jpg

New garage radio. Cleaned up there, it was vile. Even the CD player works, and the subwoofer now works after a bit of reassembly.

Phil

Sadly the UK is utterly backward in regards to any form of transport that isn’t a car with a driver, various electric bikes and vehicles and even the Segway have fallen foul of the ‘doesnt Fit the law’ crap. The only exception I can think of was the Sinclair C5 that was a bit too little and a bit too early.

When I started gym again a year ago I struggled with 40kg on the chest press for four sets of ten. I've just done one set of 95kg and three sets of 100kg.

Getting to one set on 100kg with the rest lower was my aim so I've beaten that.