What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Been to in-laws for dinner this evening, Mrs D and I made madam drive us home so we could have a glass of wine or 2.

I'm so impressed at how far her driving has come along in 2 weeks since she last drove me somewhere. It's like she's been driving all her life, not 4 weeks. We're now looking at getting her an advanced driving course for her 18th birthday in January.

yeah,  it's great being taught how to do J turns    :-D

Someone gave me a 12v battery today, a whopper off a horsebox ! .It suddenly went flat ,so they bought a new one.That was flat the next day ,too.. Turned out it was the fridge left on ...Hopefully , the first battery is ok , just flat , I've got it on charge ...

Is anything actually covered by that any warranty, or is it just a worthless shite of paper?

FTFY.

Nah, it amused me greatly. Little things and all that.

It actually got better...she then made another call and asked the recipient to get her a dairy free latte, she’d be there in ten minutes. In Preston FFS. Hilarious.

My old boss was a twat. A massive twat. He had a small number of oft-repeated anecdotes which he used to ingratiate himself to other twats; most were shit.

The only funny one was about a greasy spoon near Croydon. Twatty boss said 'Can I get a latte?', to which the cafe owner said 'Not in here mate'.

Incidentally, twatty boss had no idea how bad this story made him look. 

I don't really see the point of the act when no one enforces it. I have now had 2 customers who have bought lemons and tried to reject them within 10 days but the traders have said no and no amount of quoting the act will get them to cough up as they know they will never be prosecuted for it.

This, everytime I’ve been shafted as a consumer and spoken to Trading standards all the ever say is write them a letter, send it recorded delivery and then if that fails take them to the small claims court. I don’t understand why they can’t just call the dodgy seller/trader up and say follow the rules or we will make you and then fine you, why does it have to be up the consumer to carry out the enforcement?

Trading Standards aren't public-facing. They're the government body responsible for mass enforcement such as raiding warehouses full of exploding tellytubby dolls. Public contact Citizens Advice who will suggest going to the seller first, and then small claims court.

Trading Standards would only get involved if the dealer was deliberately knocking out hundreds of cars a month with faults. 

This is basically the problem with any civil law - there's no enforcement.  The only companies that follow it are the sort that would have sorted out shit service anyway.

Actual criminal law allows the rozzers to bash doors in - much more fun.

Enforcement is down to the Claimant.  That's one of the main differences between civil and criminal law. 

Criminal is an offence against society while civil is where you offend one person. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huge generalisation but you get my drift.

If it snows this winter, I'm taking her to an abandoned car park and first teaching her how to drive in snow, then how to have a bit of fun with the handbrake!

You also need to borrow or buy something rwd and teach her sliding, it was best thing my dad taught me when I was 13/14 along with j turns, i started off on a grassy area then moved onto concrete

Trading Standards aren't public-facing. They're the government body responsible for mass enforcement such as raiding warehouses full of exploding tellytubby dolls. Public contact Citizens Advice who will suggest going to the seller first, and then small claims court.

Trading Standards would only get involved if the dealer was deliberately knocking out hundreds of cars a month with faults.

I discovered this to be true for the likes of Ofcom, too. Your internet provider can be utterly useless, still insist you pay for your contract and stonewall you with sheer incompetence and there's literally nothing you can do. Well, that's not strictly true as complaining very loudly on social media seems to strike terror into these big operators.