What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Popped into Halfrauds on the way home from work to enquire about a new rear wheel for my bike (£100+, FRO) and they had some ex-display 5 1/4" speakers on sale for 12 quid. So I bought them, and have just fitted them to the 205 to replace the fucked originals. Bugger me does it sound better!

I now have to sort the rears, but that entails taking the C-pillar panels off so will have to wait a bit. For now I've just cranked the fader all the way to the front.

Cheap new speakers in the doors revitalises the stock head unit - first thing I do in any older car tbh.

On my way over to Wakefield tonight, I headed over the moors through Saddleworth, through Holmfirth then over past Denby Dale.

Climbing up onto Saddleworth Moor I managed to piss off a BMW driver in a new 5 series by massively outhandling him while trying to tailgate me up the hill, on every corner he'd be over the solid lines or overcooking it trying to keep up while I just stayed at a constant 50 and swung through everything. At the top of the hill, the road becomes straight and level, and the road goes from 50 to NSL. As I rolled up to 60 he just blasted away, silly bugger. Great laugh watching him desperately try to keep ground in the corners to get past.

Then just before I reached Denby Dale, I noticed a mintola BRG Rover Metro GTa waiting to pull out of a side road. After I passed, it shot down the hill to catch me, merrily keeping up with me for quite a few miles, before turning off with a flash of the lights to say bye (or maybe he wanted to stop and talk, who knows). Really made me smile.

The amount of positive comments the Rover has been garnering, even in its giffer bashed state, have really taken me aback - I think they're really starting to become appreciated classics, especially by the general public - I get a lot of fond remarks and happy memories, and as well a lot of young people seem really keen on it too. I think the time is coming that they'll become proper classics, instead of going into a weird limbo like the Acclaim and SD3 seemed to before it where hardly anyone cares about them any more.

I blame the Alfa 156.

If it helps, I blame my Alfa 156 for everything. Up to and including the pressure valve malfunction on our oil boiler this evening.

Hell, the Alfa was parked next to the boilerhouse in disgrace for long enough - it must have started sharing its dark ideas of chaos and destruction.

Long may the shade of its unreliable flyblown corpse lurk in Hades.

Fuck these new MoT rules - a mate’s Corsa D failed the test because the EML is on (lambda sensor) yet it still pissed the emissions test

Code reader -> light off -> pass -> light back on half a mile up the road

:D

Did this for a mate and his Zafira, lent him my dongle and showed him how to use Torque.

Light off, retest, light popped back on during the drive home where it will stay on for another 364 days since the car drives perfectly and the emissions were spot on.

Did this for a mate and his Zafira, lent him my dongle and showed him how to use Torque.

Light off, retest, light popped back on during the drive home where it will stay on for another 364 days since the car drives perfectly and the emissions were spot on.

Exactly the same story with the airbag warning light on my OH's Mini. Sensor under the passenger seat is knackered so the light comes back on almost immediately. 

My local CT tester lets me wander round the garage and into the inspection pit etc when my cars are being tested, which is handy because I can be doing "important business" on my telephone while in bluetooth range of the ELM327 plugged into whichever crock is about to fail and keep clearing the codes as they appear, keeping the light out.

Had a stressful day dealing with the idiots in Swansea (see grumpy old man thread).

Had a gardening fail as fork handle snapped and one of the cats has shat in my seed tray.

Dinner was a complete balls up.

Was about to go and shower before bed and Mrs D comes into lounge with a glass of port and a plate of cheese and crackers for me. Another perfect finish to a shitty day.