What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

"It's a good car... no advisories" Was the comment from the MOT guy after surveying the '98 touring family back up emergency truckster. Shortly after I pointed to a pile of rust and under seal on the ramp "what's that from" I asked, imagining some excellent* old shite previously visiting... "It's from a 57 plate 307..." was the reply.

The Mondeo seems to know that I'm trying to sell it so first it gave me 559.3 miles to 56.6 litres, and now the reach adjustment works on the wheel whereas it was only rake when I got it... So I was able to heel and toe between Duns and Cranshaws <3

First mot today was a left hand drive (on French plates) Renault 25 which you might read about in a magazine sometime soon.A little while later a Peugeot J9 van.Again LHD and on French plates.This one you won't read about as it's just been sold to some hipster who's going to sell cheese out of it.Then after lunch a retest on  a Citroen CX .The steering wheel was on the correct side with this one though.

To balance it out late afternoon saw an aluminium body Jaguar XKR. The five point o supercharged one.

Changed the battery in one of my 'rides' earlier so as my mind later wandered I stumbled across quite an interesting blog post about how they're made. This is an Indian factory so not PPE-heavy. Enjoy:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/164284-pics-sf-sonic-battery-factory-detailed-report-making-car-battery.html

I have a pushbike with one of those eBay special engine conversions to fuck about with at work. Couldn’t find any two stroke oil yesterday so thought what the hell and used 10w40. It’s never ran so well! Normally it idles like a pig but it was purring yesterday and noticeably faster. Was smoking like a bastard though.

I have a pushbike with one of those eBay special engine conversions to fuck about with at work. Couldn’t find any two stroke oil yesterday so though what the hell and used 10w40. It’s never ran to well! Normally it idles like a pig but it was purring yesterday and noticeably faster. Was smoking like a bastard though.

I find mine leaks air in where the carburetor meets the intake pipe because crap design. Doesn't help with the idle. PTFE tape helped a lot, as did setting the needle height correctly.

Phil

I find mine leaks air in where the carburetor meets the intake pipe because crap design. Doesn't help with the idle. PTFE tape helped a lot, as did setting the needle height correctly.

Phil

They aren’t the best quality bit for £60 I still can’t see how they make a profit. It turns out a shit load of Asda’s finest 10w40 also works wonders though! If I am honest I have never messed about with the settings too much. I just took the baffles out the exhaust and thrash the living bejeezus out of it across a field with completely slick tyres on which is a good laugh. It slides almost speedway style!

Sitting on a barge on a canal in Holland drinking a goodly selection of Belgian beer with friends gives me a grin.

Looks like it could continue for a few weeks. La Trappe blond at the moment. Had a beer brewed by nuns yesterday. They are rapidly catching up with the monks.

Get some Palm down you, I drank an obscene amount of it when I lived over there.

Having a nice walk by the canal with my 15 yr old  A grade scoring daughter, lamenting how intelligent she is and how well she's doing at school, lovely moment....until she screams " Oh my god can ducks fly " as one flew past.........moment shattered

I am informed by my wife that my 22 year old Daughter came home from University yesterday after 4 years of hard Study, and provided she passes, I am expected to take 3 days off work (loosing £XX.XX per hour) to drive everyone to Cardiff in July for a 2 hour graduation ceremony. I have apparently already paid for 3 rooms for 2 nights (6 nights) in the Hilton.  But not to worry I can cancel the £365 a month standing order to her account, because she's got a Job starting in August so won't need our financial support.  

Apparently I am not allowed to charge her rent. 

Phil

They're a bit of a laugh yes. 66cc? Mine can just about get out of the way of it's open shadow on the flat (49cc).

Oh, and keep the head bolts nipped up periodically else they do a K-series.

This afternoon, walking back to the Lada after dropping a parcel off at the post office, discovering a bunch of Russians (on holiday, visiting their kids who are at university in Cambridge apparently) taking selfies in front of the Lada.

They were staggered to actually see one over here it seemed. Had a nice chat with them too.

Also then seeing it reflected in some shop windows while waiting at traffic lights.

I'd forgotten how much fun that old crate is, both to drive and just to see how the world around reacts to it.

I am informed by my wife that my 22 year old Daughter came home from University yesterday after 4 years of hard Study, and provided she passes, I am expected to take 3 days off work (loosing £XX.XX per hour) to drive everyone to Cardiff in July for a 2 hour graduation ceremony. I have apparently already paid for 3 rooms for 2 nights (6 nights) in the Hilton.  But not to worry I can cancel the £365 a month standing order to her account, because she's got a Job starting in August so won't need our financial support.  

Apparently I am not allowed to charge her rent. 

My daughter graduated at Newcastle university last year. Easily the proudest moment off my life. She's had her own place since she was 18 and always had at least one job while studying. Brendan Foster did a speech.

Back from the hospital and feeling a lot more like myself today, surgery went as well as could be expected on a rather tender area and got some tramadol yesterday too which was fun to gouch out on.

I'm signed off for a fortnight too to recover, so hopefully will get a chance to heal up before going back to work.

General Anaesthetic is way less fun than I'd hoped though.

Guest Hooli

Tramadol is no fun either, once you react to it & feel like ants are walking over your entire body.

Enjoy...

Luckily I get on well with opiates and know whats coming so just enjoy it all. I only got 2 tablets and they've worn off now though. I managed to walk about a mile earlier to the GPs surgery to get the dressing changed and back home again which I'm pleased with. Got me out and about and the blood flowing so hopefully no DVT or blod clots for me.

Swapped out the O2 sensor on the E46 today. The old one has been got at before so I was expecting a complete bitch of a job and had my eBay special tools (all of £4), blowtorch, shock and unlock spray and BFH and chisel for if it went really bad. Put the tool on and gave a quick tug to hold it in place while I got the long tube extension and low and behold it only undid. Ten minutes later, job done, codes clear, judder free motoring has been restored.

Ooo, I think I've set the foundations to purchase something truly nice. One of those all time dream cars.

Just got to whizz a deposit over and all should be dandy. I've accepted that insurance will be £££ due to lack of driveway but hey ho.

I'll have a collection thread going when it's time. It does cancel out France but you'll know why when you see it.