What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Mystery parcel from Ukraine today

post-24583-0-05792600-1528799466_thumb.jpg

Containing

post-24583-0-92116700-1528799516_thumb.jpg

Nixies! I can (hopefully) build my second wristwatch now

Want to try and build a digital instrument panel with these to fit in a 70's car. I think they'd look good set into a Lada 1200 dash, being Cold-war era stuff. Wonder how I'd do it.......

post-24583-0-39956500-1528800247_thumb.jpg

And my girlfriend has just asked "Are you in any roffles tomorrow night? Anything I'd like?"

Definitely the one.

*flicks Vs in jealousy, goes and sobs in a quiet corner*

I do rather want that Panda 100HP though. It would suit my SMOLL CAR desires perfectly.

On the way into work this morning I was following a smart newish Ifor Williams twin-axle trailer stickered up in the name of a local building firm, being towed (slowly) by a diesel Series 2 Land Rover.  Seemingly the Landy didn't have the facility to connect a modern trailer plug, as the driver was using hand signals.  Last time I saw hand signals being used was an old boy in a Model T about 8 years ago.

I got a new kettle! Whoop:)  £5.99 from Argos (plus a couple of quid delivery... too lazy to go and fetch it) and it is the same as the sod I paid good money for a few years back! It works so I ma now having my first HOT coffee (instead of luewarm) in 22 hours.

The relief :)

We're having the roof redone at chez Ghosty. It was supposed to be finished by now, having had the start date pencilled in for May 14th or something.

The scaffolders were two weeks late, and showed up unannounced at 7:30am on a Saturday to set up, having told us they were coming on the Friday.

The roofers couldn't get in until the end of the following week, worked Friday, left for the weekend, then came back and finished the roof at the start of the next week. That was last week, and only today did the scaffolders come to take down the scaffolding (this has been holding up a joiner who is making our new garage roof). 

The grin is that Old Man was pissed off at all this, so nicked a 3' length of scaffold to use as a breaker bar :grin:

Mystery parcel from Ukraine today

attachicon.gifNixie 1.jpg

Containing

attachicon.gifnixie 3.jpg

Nixies! I can (hopefully) build my second wristwatch now

Want to try and build a digital instrument panel with these to fit in a 70's car. I think they'd look good set into a Lada 1200 dash, being Cold-war era stuff. Wonder how I'd do it.......

attachicon.gifIN-16-com.jpg

Oooh! Nixie tubes Epic!  I look forward to seeing the finished product :)

I have about 20 or so IN12Bs from somewhere in the "USSR"... got them a good few years ago but the way they came packed was something out of the 1600s (I also have a few more nixie tubes but just single examples...)

box wrapped up in wax paper tied up with string and then sealed with a wax stamp. felt like Hogwarts sent me a parcel or something...

do you have any of the big IN18s? id love a clock out of those but last I checked (like 4 years ago mind) the price for IN18s was a bit much... granted theres a guy who setup up a factory in an old castle building/making brand nixie tubes https://www.daliborfarny.com/ well worth checking out.

end game tho would be one of these monstrosities  :mrgreen: http://www.jb-electronics.de/html/elektronik/nixies/n_gr414.htm?lang=en one can dream :)

Oooh! Nixie tubes Epic!  I look forward to seeing the finished product :)

I have about 20 or so IN12Bs from somewhere in the "USSR"... got them a good few years ago but the way they came packed was something out of the 1600s (I also have a few more nixie tubes but just single examples...)

box wrapped up in wax paper tied up with string and then sealed with a wax stamp. felt like Hogwarts sent me a parcel or something...

do you have any of the big IN18s? id love a clock out of those but last I checked (like 4 years ago mind) the price for IN18s was a bit much... granted theres a guy who setup up a factory in an old castle building/making brand nixie tubes https://www.daliborfarny.com/ well worth checking out.

end game tho would be one of these monstrosities  :mrgreen: http://www.jb-electronics.de/html/elektronik/nixies/n_gr414.htm?lang=en one can dream :)

I have a clock made already with IN-12a tubes, the ones without the decimal point, took the tubes from my previous Arduino powered clock for which I needed to make a case but lacked the tools and craftsmanship, so got a £40 case off ebay. Just need to install the INS-1 neons into it for the flashing colons.

These little tubes are IN-16 paid about £20 for 6 as tested and used. These will be powered by the Arduino as I can make a prototyping board the same size as the Arduino circuit board and fit all 6 tubes on it - they're only about 12mm wide so dinky little things ideal for a watch, however I looking at other things I feel a clock would be more ideal as need 12v power. Might make a nice period fitment to a 50/60/70's motor....

IN-18s and those new ones Dalibor Farny makes are well out of my price range at the moment. Those huge ones are truly epic.

^^^Still need to see if there are advisories on it. I'll get the papers later and see.

Amazingly the slight corrosion to the metal brake pipes and the deterioration of the rubber brake hoses wasn't mentioned this year. Always seems to get an advisory on the colour of the indicators so may do an LED conversion.

Nothing a 17-year old mechanics student can't handle!

post-24583-0-22450200-1528896164_thumb.jpeg

Just change them for new orange bulbs, cheaper!

They're only 6 months old max, as one side blew in January, the other in March. Either the MoT station is being really fussy (get this advised every year irrespective of the age of the bulb), or they're poor quality and the lacquer comes off really quick. They do look lemon-yellow as opposed to amber though.

After eighteen months of the pain of restructuring and a change programme, the bosses gave us their proposal today... And it's good. My job is going to become a little more interesting and a little more well-paid, with a little less time on-call. Happy days.

Having a nice walk by the canal with my 15 yr old  A grade scoring daughter, lamenting how intelligent she is and how well she's doing at school, lovely moment....until she screams " Oh my god can ducks fly " as one flew past.........moment shattered

if you feel the need to shatter her "Moment" too

just show her this video  :mrgreen: (warning video is hilarious but may scar you for life depending on what your sensitive about...)

Having a nice walk by the canal with my 15 yr old  A grade scoring daughter, lamenting how intelligent she is and how well she's doing at school, lovely moment....until she screams " Oh my god can ducks fly " as one flew past.........moment shattered

I blame the parents...