What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sold a rolling omega shell for scrap via facebook , waiting for the fella to turn up in his truck. He arrives in a fucked mk1 scenic with bald tyres and an a frame " aah that'll a frame sound"  me says "really? with no brakes,no rear hatch,no gearbox,each wheel held on with 2 bolts each and perished tyres", "yeah no problem I'll just go and get a pump"  

This could be A framing gold as the Omega still weighs 1600kg ! I will of course try for a pic 

Just been out with a mate and his lad to buy his first car, a G plate small bumper Golf GTi. His lad is 11 knocking on 35, asked all the right questions, had read all the buyers guides so knew where to look for rot and got a cracking price.

He wants to put it back to original spec and is already on eBay looking at original suspension springs and dampers and other bits he spotted.

It's brilliant to see that kind of enthusiasm and interest in old cars from the young ens, reassures me someone might want to buy mine when I'm old and infirm.

Forgot to say, the Shaguar got a new MOT last week. Props to Volksy for sorting it out.

With my new job I get the train to work, so popping out at lunch to MOT the car is a no goer as whilst I get cheap parking (£7.00 a day instead of £14) I would need to pay it twice if I pop out at luch and come back so would not make any saving, plus I would have to crawl in and out of the town centre at rush hour which just isn't nice.

Volksy has started running one of these WBAC setups at a national dealership. I'm not sure if he's been on here and mentioned it as he's probably worried Billy will turn up with a car transporter overladen with shit for him to buy.

Anyhow, he suggested we give the chaps at his main stealer a try with the MOT as he gets it half price and they passed his parents Honda Jizz with no bother.

Turns out that was a good call. It only failed on a ball joint and as Volksy gets cheap labour and parts too, they repaired it for £38 including the part. I was expecting a full on weld-a-thon as its gone pretty crusty in places but they were seemingly very fair. That's not to say I can lay back and ignore the rust.

Therefore the car is in line for a service next weekend (garden permitting - see Grumpy thread) as its going to be in use for the forseeable future it seems, which is nice. There are a few bits of trim I need to replace too and the radio and the glovebox, so a day over to Jagcats is in order. Everything seems to cost £25 there. Indicator stalk £25. Radiator fans £25, Full working engine £25, trim clips £25.......

After the unmitigated disaster that was the Clio balljoint escapade..

I dun a gardeninks

About time too, been 4 years coming! 200L of bark and 300l compost. Still need a bit more bark.

Much better than what was there, and now can get a bench to sit oot wi beer:)

May get some car stuff done this evening..

post-17572-0-66637800-1493916922_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-47073400-1493917021_thumb.jpg

fuppin wars, I would just be waiting for the call from the police, "Hi Mr Grobbelar, your Omega has been found blocking a busy junction behind a broken down renault scenic, we are charging you £300 for recovery plus £300 for no tax etc etc"

Aye, I'd be having a signed, dated and timed receipt along with a photo of me holding that day's newspaper, a written statement from a magistrate, and a hidden camera video from an old VHS-C jobbie hidden in a bush. Police Interceptors could probably dedicate a whole hour-long show to pulling that over.

Congratulations!

Does mean you'll be up at random times of the morning, rocking a baby to sleep.... sitting on ebay with all those auctions that end at odd times of the morning for MOTless, rusty old chod that you don't need.....

that's pretty much what I do now ;)

Aye, I'd be having a signed, dated and timed receipt along with a photo of me holding that day's newspaper, a written statement from a magistrate, and a hidden camera video from an old VHS-C jobbie hidden in a bush. Police Interceptors could probably dedicate a whole hour-long show to pulling that over.

Omega met it's end safely today and no kittens where killed in the process that I know of

Yay!

Check the MOT history of a vehicle

Registration number: CBM533L
  • Vehicle make DATSUN
  • Vehicle model 1200
  • Date first used 1 July 1971
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Gold
MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date 5 May 2017
  • Expiry date 17 May 2018
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 54,951 miles

Will go and collect it tonight/tomorrow, and hopefully I can start putting a few miles on it.

Laurel also worth a grin today, used it for the first time since the trackday and all seemed well. I had to move the Camry to get it out of the garage, which was a bit of a bonus as even shunting it around on the driveway it's so pleasant. Can't wait to start using that one again.