outlaw118

What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

You have to wonder sometimes...

I live in a 9th floor apartment, in a block of 115 similar apartments. I have no loft (there's 2 floors above me) and one external wall which is all glass.

Some poor sod has been walking the corridors this morning to deliver these:eb753e5589635c8796006291bd700620.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Ask them round for a quote!

You know what? The people who moan about this place going down the drain and 'its not what it never once was' can shove it.

A few weeks ago I posted up a frantic 'Help! Gearbox urgently needed!' post as the Almera's box was making dire noises and isn't long for this world. The response anywhere else would be 'LOLZ scrap it, its a shit car anyway', but the little Nissan has done us proud after being bought as a stop-gap 4 years ago. Its a pleasure to work on due to loads of access for a FWD car, is utterly reliable and has sailed through every MOT we've taken it for. Its cheap, reliable and frugal, so I want to fix it. Its the least the little soldier deserves after 70k of virtually hassle-free motoring. Its 19 years old has hasn't had a single FTP in the 4 years we've owned it.

A fellow member contacted me with a very kind offer of not only a gearbox, but a pair of headlights, pair of tailights and radiator from his spares stash, put it on a pallet, took it to a depot and had it delivered to me today and has refused to take payment for any of it until I was satisfied that it had arrived and was in the described condition.

This will keep my little car going strong for another 140k miles I hope, and has saved an unloved but fundamentally sound car from being crushed just because of a broken gearbox.

It really is a great place here, and without people like this, the world would be a worse place. Long may the forum survive because I've not found anywhere else, real or on the interwebz where people are so helpful, encouraging and willing to lend a hand, advise, provide encouragement and provide spare parts to keep others going. Almost always for free or as close to free as possible.

I hope one day that I can provide some assistance to others the way I've been helped with all manner of things through this forum.

All I can offer this time around will be a write up of the operation for anyone interested, and hopefully some gratuitous photography - but to the people who continue to help others just because they are members of this little corner of the internet, well done.

I pass a house on the way to work which has had a skip in the front garden for a while. This morning the skip lorry was there to pick it up. Only they'd obviously overloaded the skip as the poor FL6 was right up on its back wheels in the driveway. Quite an impressive sight...

Tbh I tend to ignore, ignore, ignore this problem rather than invest in preventative maintenance, purely because it's easy not to notice and it's a disgusting minging job.

But I'd never call someone out to do it once it was causing a problem... I just roll up my sleeves, put on some gloves and gag.

I'm really, really, really enjoying living in this new house.  I'm all productive in a non-manic way with my work.  I'm catching up on workload and I'm not constantly on edge.  I am chilling and stuff.  It's great.  Combined with the silly collectioneering antics of chompy, the Renault 20 Autoshite meme of sorts and general shenanigans and good eggs on this place things are ace.

Smiley happy lovely post bigging up all the smiley happy lovely things that are happening.

Guy at Nissan Parts rang me up yesterday to let me know that he had to re-order The Bloody Rocker Cover Gaskets because of a strange message he got from Japan. Doubt it'll make any difference to when they arrive but, ya know, nice of him to ring me to tell me that he had to do that. 

AA wanted £££ for breakdown. Using quidco managed to get joint cover through RAC with homestart for £85, bargainous.

Whilst browsing Trademe as a denial tactic for stuff I should actually be getting on with, I came across this advert for a rather tempting Morris LD150:

428073844.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/morris/auction-987889358.htm

Don't worry, I'm not going to buy it. However, the seller put up a link to his Facebook page, promoting his "small business buying and selling classic cars and parts through out New Zealand and Europe" and he's dealing in some quality products, a lot of which are temptingly cheap! Take a look at https://www.facebook.com/classiccarsnz to see for yourself. Thankfully, it's accessible by all as you don't need an account to view the page or the brilliant pics. Enjoy!

Just been looking for cars like mine for sale... all this places fault 'cos someone posted a link to an ad for my old Turbo R and I started to worry about  values. Loads of Turbo R for sale for a  lot less than mine but late cars are more - just seen one the same as mine for £28K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still doesn't make mine a bargain though.... :(

AA wanted £££ for breakdown. Using quidco managed to get joint cover through RAC with homestart for £85, bargainous.

Now been sent an offer from RAC for £30 amazon voucher due their winter promotion. Excellent! 

You have to wonder sometimes...

I live in a 9th floor apartment, in a block of 115 similar apartments. I have no loft (there's 2 floors above me) and one external wall which is all glass.

Some poor sod has been walking the corridors this morning to deliver these:

eb753e5589635c8796006291bd700620.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

post 115 leaflets- check

keep out of weather whilst delivering 115 leaflets- check

spend couple of hours out of weather whilst delivering 115 leaflets- check

Vulg I can seriously tell you a r8 214 can take off faster than a bug eye Subaru Impreza turbo that has a chav cannon on the back in the traffic light grand prix, embarrassing the driver infront of his lady passenger that he was trying to impress by racing a crap old car :-) it happened in between 2 sets of traffic lights that were close to each other so he didn't get chance to overtake

It is fun showing people up in it, especially since from the appearance of my house I must look like the sort of elderly gent that exclaims things like "I'm 92 next year" and "all my friends are dead, you know".

attachicon.gif20151125-03.jpg

FTFY

Vulg I can seriously tell you a r8 214 can take off faster than a bug eye Subaru Impreza turbo that has a chav cannon on the back in the traffic light grand prix, embarrassing the driver infront of his lady passenger that he was trying to impress by racing a crap old car :-) it happened in between 2 sets of traffic lights that were close to each other so he didn't get chance to overtake

I was following the only R8 214 I've seen up here (very rusty), that thing could shift!

Did this actually happen or am I being thick? 1.4 vs 2.0 turbo?