What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 27/02/2024 at 10:06, Talbot said:

Update:  Review complete.  It will be removed.  Poster contacted.

I remember reading your post but didn't see anything controversial.

But

Screenshot_20240317-082559.png.b199872b34012a9074c36ebfe752cd3c.png

I can't see a post of mine which Sheefag has liked.  Clicking on the notification takes me to your post @Talbot.

Mega confused.

58 minutes ago, loserone said:

Mega confused.

As am I, as the post I removed was from another member.  If Sheefag liked one of your posts,.I can see no reason it wouldn't take you to the post in question.

The post I hid had no likes or reactions, and isn't even adjacent to any of your posts...

Dunno.

Round a mate's last night, talking to his daughter (late 20s, hairdresser).  She was telling me that she'd spent several hours that day replacing a front lower arm on her Audi (2003 A4 Avant) in advance of its upcoming MOT, and she was complaining about what an utter bastard the front suspension is to work on on those cars.  She also replaced a rear arm which was a piece of piss by comparison, although she did say the bush on the old one fell to bits as she took it off.

There's still hope for the next generation I reckon.

and on similar theme

have flight for essen and was gonna use the train

but db is worse than here for their timekeeping (how is that even possible)

and theyve been having strikes where the planes do too on the same days (!) i hope that doesnt happen

so i rented a car and they didnt charge for a one way

saves a lot of fecking about even tho its twice as much as the trains might have cost BUT i can do wuppertal in the morning before essen

This could equally go in the grumpy thread.

Slight damage to car ( wife obviously has no idea how it happened ), so need a paint spray and therefore need colour name or code.

Torch batteries dead, so too dark to find tiny plate hidden somewhere on the car , so I try to Google it, via registration number.

First up a paint supplier. Fill in reg, up comes “we’ve got you colour”, without adding “but we’re not telling you so you have to buy from us” FRO!

Then I spot WBAC, saying they will tell me the colour if I tell them the reg. So I’m  thinking , that’s useful , thank you WBAC.

Fill in the box , press enter.

”Your car is red”. WTF , I know it’s red ffs, it’s sat outside my door , a big red thing, can’t miss it. I’m colour blind and can see it red! I want to know if it’s Volcano red, chilli red, or Brothel light red.

It’s red! Useless bastards!

Both motos still broken and no insurance on the Berlingo as of last night due to it sneaking up on me and online quotes being double what it was last year. 

Why the grin? Well it gives me the chance to use this;

IMG_9653.jpeg.f943222cf3d845ef4f718cf033f91bce.jpeg

Engines a bit smoky but its made the ferry quicker than the Berlingo due to respectful swift progress and lack of number plate.

Quick rest now then on to Waltham Forest. How my body holds up to 30 miles and a days graft remains to be seen. Wish me luck.

image.jpg.9feb4fd07baba4c830bf64a47361eff2.jpg

29 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Both motos still broken and no insurance on the Berlingo as of last night due to it sneaking up on me and online quotes being double what it was last year. 

Why the grin? Well it gives me the chance to use this;

IMG_9653.jpeg.f943222cf3d845ef4f718cf033f91bce.jpeg

Engines a bit smoky but its made the ferry quicker than the Berlingo due to respectful swift progress and lack of number plate.

Quick rest now then on to Waltham Forest. How my body holds up to 30 miles and a days graft remains to be seen. Wish me luck.

image.jpg.9feb4fd07baba4c830bf64a47361eff2.jpg

Love it. I had the same bike back in the late 80s/early 90s and then another rusty one which I never ended up fixing up a few years back. 

Have you owned it for long? How does it ride? 

Yours look a bit hotter. Where that pic was taken, the forecast for tomorrow reads a maximum of 7 degrees, and -1 the following night ... I've just seen it, the last hiccup of winter. I hope I'll have some fruits from the ones in bloom, and it won't kill all my newly planted trees 

1 hour ago, TataBobu said:

Yours look a bit hotter. Where that pic was taken, the forecast for tomorrow reads a maximum of 7 degrees, and -1 the following night ... I've just seen it, the last hiccup of winter. I hope I'll have some fruits from the ones in bloom, and it won't kill all my newly planted trees 

It's an app I use called WTF 

It's fairly accurate up to 5 days in advance,and updates constantly. 

Screenshot_20240318-144736_WTForecast.jpg

7 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Love it. I had the same bike back in the late 80s/early 90s and then another rusty one which I never ended up fixing up a few years back. 

Have you owned it for long? How does it ride? 

Had this one for about ten years though haven't done as much as i should with it! Ive fitted a 105 groupset though it retains its suicide shifters, original front mech and most notably brakes. It goes well, stops less so though a little better with non original pads. 

Needs some bar tape and now a wash due to some off road this morning whilst following my google route I thought was all path!

7A65A0C4-258A-4FCF-B9B2-FDD3C8381013.jpeg.c8df72e1707daa164bde631e18bc0184.jpeg

Great bike though does make me smile 

8D4CA6F6-4FB4-41B5-A024-C5E44A8CD4C1.jpeg.c5d4684481edeb8a60632978d8f40501.jpeg

2 hours ago, andy18s said:

It's an app I use called WTF 

Your app says 7 and 1 for tomorrow, mine says 7 and -1. Hope yours is more accurate, will switch to it if so. Thank you!

BTW, my pic is from a village just outside Giurgiu.

On 17/03/2024 at 09:40, Talbot said:

Blimey that is a long glowplug.  How wide is the head??

The heads are pretty wide as it’s  quad cam etc and the glow plugs go through at a funny angle if that makes sense, I used a set of vice grips with the slide hammer attached to pull the glow plugs out after I unscrewed them was proper stressing about snapping one 😳just another quirk of the OM642 

i used some inject crack spray but found this didn’t really work any better then wd40 

3 hours ago, TataBobu said:

Your app says 7 and 1 for tomorrow, mine says 7 and -1. Hope yours is more accurate, will switch to it if so. Thank you!

BTW, my pic is from a village just outside Giurgiu.

Our village is located just over the crest of a big hill.

In the past we have been snowed in a for a days,whilst the nearest village just has rain because of its 200-300m lower elevation.

And more importantly the Storks are returning to their nests..

23 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

This could equally go in the grumpy thread.

Slight damage to car ( wife obviously has no idea how it happened ), so need a paint spray and therefore need colour name or code.

Torch batteries dead, so too dark to find tiny plate hidden somewhere on the car , so I try to Google it, via registration number.

First up a paint supplier. Fill in reg, up comes “we’ve got you colour”, without adding “but we’re not telling you so you have to buy from us” FRO!

Then I spot WBAC, saying they will tell me the colour if I tell them the reg. So I’m  thinking , that’s useful , thank you WBAC.

Fill in the box , press enter.

”Your car is red”. WTF , I know it’s red ffs, it’s sat outside my door , a big red thing, can’t miss it. I’m colour blind and can see it red! I want to know if it’s Volcano red, chilli red, or Brothel light red.

It’s red! Useless bastards!

If it helps, I recently ordered from these people on ebay: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154878546018

I sent them the reg number (and VIN just in case) and they sent out what I thought was a pretty incredible colour match for a cheap ebay job, £18.99 for both proper sized aerosol cans of base coat and lacquer. 

Only reason I used them was because my local supplier has gone tits up, used to be nice and simple, call the branch, order the paint, pick up in 24-48 hours, but then they introduced some sort of national call centre to take orders. Said call handlers didn't seem to understand much about paint so I lost faith... 

IMG_20231217_210944.jpg.86b033b80d32913c2f2406ffb713fbd3.jpg

^ I certainly can't tell where the colour blend was - if I hadn't done such a shite rush job with the filler (I wasn't looking for perfection) then it would have been a nice repair. The lacquer they supplied applied nicely with an acceptable finish, and I did it in a fairly cool workshop in December... After a gentle buff I was over the moon with the end result for a cheap ebay rattlecan

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

If it helps, I recently ordered from these people on ebay: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154878546018

I sent them the reg number (and VIN just in case) and they sent out what I thought was a pretty incredible colour match for a cheap ebay job, £18.99 for both proper sized aerosol cans of base coat and lacquer. 

Only reason I used them was because my local supplier has gone tits up, used to be nice and simple, call the branch, order the paint, pick up in 24-48 hours, but then they introduced some sort of national call centre to take orders. Said call handlers didn't seem to understand much about paint so I lost faith... 

IMG_20231217_210944.jpg.86b033b80d32913c2f2406ffb713fbd3.jpg

^ I certainly can't tell where the colour blend was - if I hadn't done such a shite rush job with the filler (I wasn't looking for perfection) then it would have been a nice repair. The lacquer they supplied applied nicely with an acceptable finish, and I did it in a fairly cool workshop in December... After a gentle buff I was over the moon with the end result for a cheap ebay rattlecan

I did find the code but that is actually  who I ordered from.