What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Today I discovered a powder-blue 1950 Riley drophead coupe, less than half a mile from the house I've been living in for the past 2 years. It's achingly beautiful and my underwear was in a bad way when I returned home. The guy's owned it for over 40 years and restored it twice (it originally cost him £25) and it's in that perfect state that's almost immaculate, but used-looking enough to not be a trailer queen. I suspect it might be a coachbuilt 'special' as the back end seems more stretched than normal, but I didn't get a chance to ask him too many questions.

I left my previous job driving coaches at the start of May to take a chance for more money and better hours elsewhere... it was only a four week trial though which was a bit worrying but I took the chance anyway.

My four week trial was up on Tuesday... and I've been kept on 8)

Really over the moon. Most problems are now solved 8)

Spent the last 6 weeks in Indonesia carrying out marine research in the worlds area of highest biodiversity. Was stunning.

Now in thailand working at Soi Dog a rescue home in Phuket. Dogs are amazing but Phuket truly is a dump. 

Fell in love with two of the dogs and have adopted them. They will be delivered to the UK in 3 months :-)

Huuuge beasts so will need to find a large car for them

Also bought a 306 turd blower cheap and got it sitting waiting for me back in London...can't wait to get tinkering when I get home

Blimey. You really are getting around the place Mr Moog. And it sounds like you're becoming the Madonna of the dog world. Please don't make any music videos where you dance upon a Toyota Cressida.

The weather is definitely grin-worthy. I'm hoping for a Grin tomorrow as it's very likely I'll head to the Welshpool Air Show, where I can enjoy the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and perhaps a last chance to see the Vulcan.

Don't worry about the Vulcan, its airframe has had it's airworthyness certificate extended by another 2 years and the charity plan a full airshow season for 2014 and 2015 - news was released of this in the last day or so!

I do fear that they're going to end up crying wolf one time too many. Every five minutes they seem to be going on about some disastrous reason why it might never fly again. "Oh and by the way, this is how you can donate."

The show's only a fiver, so I'll head there anyway - even though we've had enough jets flying around this week to make it seem a bit superfluous.

Cavette needed a bumper. Shall we phone the cops and report him?

nar

I suspect someone in m'bro is modifying corsa front ends and selling them on

a couple of years ago it was saxo front and rear bumpers, and fiesta ones before that

After the Maxi, I took the parents shopping.  Dad was impressed in the improved ride in the back of the Princess since the suspension pump-up, he likes to sprawl on the velour like some sort of Roman Emperor with a thick Yorkshire accent.  Anyway, on the way back I drove past a doom blue TR7 and we both made a face that roughly translated would be "curse my single pair of hands and no easily accessible camera".  Not only did it look ace, but it sounded superb.  I hope I see it again so I can tell the owner how awesome his car is.

Blimey. You really are getting around the place Mr Moog. And it sounds like you're becoming the Madonna of the dog world. Please don't make any music videos where you dance upon a Toyota Cressida.

Not sure the world is ready for that DW. certainly seen a lot. and met some amazing people. Definitely changed my views in many many ways. Still can't wait to get back driving and tinkering..and swearing when things break down...

I got a job..... it's funny being out of work since February and applying for 5 jobs a week, I had 2 responses between February and May..... but last week I had 3 interviews in the space of a week and 3 jobs to choose from. Hey ho, least it's sorted now, Hygiene Operative - nights - minimum wage but it is a job :)

And they are looking to promote so that's always good, and they said they were struggling to attract English people to the position too, hopefully I will be able to move to dispatch in a couple of months or something.

The new tapatalk jobbie. Autoshite anywhere!! I can post from the toilet and you'll never know.

Agreed. Internet is patchy out here in the hot countries but tapatalk fixes that! :D

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

I found out recently that Renishaw Hall has a classic car show organised by Chesterfield's Rotary Club.  Since the venue is about 3 miles from home and it's only £5 on the gate for any car I thought I'd toddle along in the Princess.  Show starts at 3pm and ends at 8pm and judging by photographs from previous years it's chock full of shiny cars from the 20s through to the 90s.  The words 'stick out like a sore thumb' come to mind, they'll probably make me park with the tractors or something.

Classic-Car-Renishaw2-620x161.jpg

http://district.rotary1220.org/dates-fixed-for-two-charity-classic-car-bike-shows

I just watched this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0229pbp/Mechanical_Marvels_Clockwork_Dreams/

One of the most interesting programmes I've ever watched. Ever. The intricate engineering is just astonishing. Watch it before 14th June, or you'll have missed the boat. A clockwork boy that actually writes. And is 250 years old. Incredible. Astonishing. Just the sort of unbelievable technology that is not packed into an Allegro.

Took my rear trailing arms to my favourite garage to get the old bushes out and the new ones in after I gave up on them. As a notorious mingebag, it does take an utterly impossible, miserable and hateful job for me to pay someone else to do it so I fully expected the garage to also hate doing it and for a bill of around £40.

I picked them up today and was told 'bring us a box of biscuits next time you're down, no other charge'.

Made me a happy man, and as I'll be down that way again tomorrow after visiting Tesco for stocking up on veg oil I will grab them a box of beers and soe biscuits.

Speaking of veg oil, Tesco have their £5 off your next shop if you spend £40 or more, so we are back to 87.5p a litre veg oil again. Time to stock up.