What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sold the Saab to a local guy via UK saabs yesterday, got a fair price for it too. YAY, The Xantia is now on the road, it drives bloody lovely. The interior was absolutely minging but scrubbed up a treat, best of all I found the service history with the handbook hiding in a little cubby hole under the dash. Cambelt was done fairly recently and its been serviced well. Result! The previous owner told me the service history and handbooks were missing, OBV he didnt check the little cubbyhole!

Charity shop find of the week (possibly month):

BYeJa25l.jpg

For those of you unlucky enough to have never owned a copy, it's basically a 'Shiter's textbook, both in content and presentation.

There's an excellent canned-history section at the front, where all the prestige classic marques are depicted in small b&w photos, with the glossy colour double-spreads reserved for the MG Metro and cut-away Saab 9000 later on. There's a chapter devoted to American muscle, which is a whopping 4 pages long (out of 186). Honorary editorial mentions are given to the Nissan Liberta 1500 SSS and the Alfetta turbodiesel, among many others. There are 22 pages of spec data at the back, covering such popular UK favourites as the Isuzu Florian Aska 2000 Turbo, and the Tchaika Gaz-14.

And the quotes, oh, the quotes..... I could fill an A4 page with frankly bizarre observations (apparently ABS is a "fashionable gimmick") and woefully optimistic predictions ("perhaps the dynamic guidance of Lee Iacocca will herald the rebirth of the great American roadsters"), and I'd love to know what the author had been drinking when he described the Bristol Beaufighter as "appealing".

Charity shop find of the week (possibly month):

BOOK

For those of you unlucky enough to have never owned a copy, it's basically a 'Shiter's textbook, both in content and presentation.

There's an excellent canned-history section at the front, where all the prestige classic marques are depicted in small b&w photos, with the glossy colour double-spreads reserved for the MG Metro and cut-away Saab 9000 later on. There's a chapter devoted to American muscle, which is a whopping 4 pages long (out of 186). Honorary editorial mentions are given to the Nissan Liberta 1500 SSS and the Alfetta turbodiesel, among many others. There are 22 pages of spec data at the back, covering such popular UK favourites as the Isuzu Florian Aska 2000 Turbo, and the Tchaika Gaz-14.

And the quotes, oh, the quotes..... I could fill an A4 page with frankly bizarre observations (apparently ABS is a "fashionable gimmick") and woefully optimistic predictions ("perhaps the dynamic guidance of Lee Iacocca will herald the rebirth of the great American roadsters"), and I'd love to know what the author had been drinking when he described the Bristol Beaufighter as "appealing".

I've got that book...bought it new 20-odd years ago :D

Diazepam. It's fucking ace. My brain is quiet for the first time in 17 years. I'm actually getting help with the mental health issues I've been moaning about incessantly and right now I'm all chilled and floaty, I can't remember ever feeling this... relaxed. Hopefully this is the first step to getting well again, even if it does mean I'm not currently allowed to use things like angry grinders and flappy wheels.

My fleet is now thinned down to 4 as both the Orion and the Alfa Romeo are now sold and gone

This has left the drive feeling surprisingly spacious, but it will be good to only have as many cars as I can keep going at one time and will give me more time to get cracking on the Lancia.

Good on ya Vangyl - I know loads of people will tell you drugs aren't the way but I found they gave me breathing room in my head to sort everything out manually and deal with all the little things that I couldn't face without the pills. Steadily dropped the dosage and I'm as close to normal as anyone could bear to be. Good luck!

My yay for the day is having my performance review at work, and not only did most of it get written for me ("I'll just put some fancy sounding stuff in this box here, yeah?") but it seems I exceeded expectations, scored the maximum practical mark (just sort of "Turns out he is actually Jesus and can do miracles") and have been given a fancy new project to tinker with, with prospect of something they call "advancement". On the basis of a half-arsed website I wrote years ago and left lying around they think I'm a coding genius.

Not bad to say I was bricking it printing out review forms and other shit at 11pm last night.

Shiply is making be laugh.

http://www.shiply.com/transport/BMW-320D-SE/1686277/

A bidding war betwwen two people desperate to deliver this BMW. Not a problem but both of them want to deliver the car on trade plates.

1994919_big.png

Good luck driving that down the M6 lads.

"Dear Customer Our bid is for the vehicle to be DRIVEN NOT transported We are a small family run business, but that does not mean we only take on small jobs. We are not a courier company We have a full traders insurance policy which allows us to drive any vehicle up to and including 7.5 ton to the value of 20K on a fully comprehensive basis. We have collected and delivered vehicles all over the Uk. We are committed to our customers each and every time we do a job. "

Not committed enough to actually look at the pictures though....

Got offered a job whilst mooching around scrappy on Saturday... 30-40 HPW @ 7.50 ph... Saved me from going to the Dole Office for a while...

Anyone after work still, look at Corals, Jennings and William Hill... They're recruiting a lot apparently.

Quite a successful couple of days. Both the Mk1 Fiesta and the Demio now have fresh MOT certificates. The both requires very minor work, adjusted rear wheel bearings on the fiesta (tighten them slightly) and a new wiper blade on the Demio. I'd say that is pretty good going.

Additionally I got a good few jobs done on the Fiesta today in preparation for taking it to Scotland at the weekend - a 1000 mile round trip. Got both the temperature gauge and the radiator fan fixed and the rear wash wipe is now re-instated and fully functioning after i took it out to clean the bracket 2 years ago.

The only slight downer is that I am ill. Not badly but enough to make stuff take far more effort than usual and I know I could be more productive in this beautiful weather.

I just found a picture of my dads old Talbot Horizon (with a Chrysler badge for the eagle eyes ones amongst you) whilst rooting around for some old insurance docs:

IMAG0139_zps02b9ecd6.jpg

The vehicle details for FRM 264V are:

Date of Liability 01 03 1990

Date of First Registration 01 01 1980

Year of Manufacture 1980

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1294cc

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type PETROL

Export Marker N

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour RED

Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

Pretty chuffed with how the Lambo listing is progressing, It should hopefully bring in some much needed funds to our workplace.

Lamborghini Countach volkswagen Beetle Countess kit car T...

384 Watchers

29 Bids

£2,550.00 ebay pounds could be ours if the sale actually goes through!

3d 17h to go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251265674568?shitterforsale&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

while buying lunch yesterday scaryoldcortina and I were at the checkout in a supermarket, behind us a woman shouted at her toddler son "Lucas"

who calls their kid Lucas?

I suggested to scary that the kid will start smoking from an early age, not work past the age of fifteen years old and by twenty will become brittle and snap easily

at the checkout in a supermarket, behind us a woman shouted at her toddler son "Lucas"

y

I bet they weren't buying veg oil.