What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I was sailing past Felixstowe docks a few years ago when a containership managed to make a total horlicks of mooring up and took out the two front legs of a dockside crane with its bow overhang

Yeah i remember that happening, We just got these brand new cranes what weren't even commissioned yet when a ship what was leaving the quay under it's own steam and with no tug boat lost all engines and drifted back into the quay again with the bow hitting the crane, They had to jack the whole crane up, all 180 tons of it to fit new dollys again.

20833774.jpg

Kate's driving licence is due to be renewed (10 years since she started driving). I took this photo of her, and got my photographer mate to put it on good paper, and the correct size. (this is Kate's clothes that she wears to work). DVLNI won't accept it.

katework.jpg

Why? Because she's smiling. A bit. Which now means she can drive on an expired licence. All well and good. Kate works for the Northern Ireland equivalent of the Crown Prosecution Service. She puts people in jail. How's that gonna look?

However: I rang them (DVLNI) yesterday and explained the situation. "Very sorry about that sir, that picture looks OK to me. Listen, don't worry, I'll crop it a wee bit, and we'll get that sent out ASAP. Sorry to mess Miss Parker about."

Got a note this morning to say that it's on the way. Good job Coleraine!

2 things are great at the moment:

1. Wifey has gone to see her folks in China for 3 weeks coinciding with a nice break from work. 3 weeks of house to myself, not get nagged, not remembering to put the toilet seat down, watching whatever I want on the tele, and getting all my toys down from the attic and re-arranging the dining room to accomodate them. Also, one neighbour is away, the other side is deaf as a post. All dials to 11 then....

boystoys.jpg

2. Hippo the recently adopted rescue JRT, who is as good company as any guy could want. He's great - so great in fact that I am back to Snetterton Dog's trust on Monday to see about another one.

img3196le.jpg

Yup, it's an Epiphone Nighthawk Custom - a cheeky "posted in wrong category - 99p no reserve" ebay win. Shortscale fretboard takes some getting used to, but the neck mini-humbucker is sublime. Probably not as good to play as a real Gibson, but unless an ebay catastrophe for the owner of such an instrument goes my way, I shan't find out. I treat music stuff as many of us treat cars - never pay more than £100 for anything*. Even that '72 Tele came into my possession for less than that - quite an investment that has turned out to be!

*The Boss GT Pro rack FX nothwithstanding - that was a special treat after a long long spell in Laos

Managed to get a working FED 2 camera by combining a desperate ebay win (Zenit E and the aforementioned FED for £2 plus postage) with the lens off a jiggered FED 3. Stuck an Industar 50 on the Zenit E (which works at 1/400 whether you like or not) and there's two working 35mms for you.

Result? Working FED 2 for less than a fiver.

Also, the 460 shat a flame out on the over run and got a Corsa driving chav twat off my back. Bless its flatulent ways.

dhjdfhewihu3783bn2bubh34bnriuj34988932423nbDJDDIE9F235D45VR456R45153GRE654R45GR231RGEWF Camera.

Also, the 460 shat a flame out on the over run and got a Corsa driving chav twat off my back. Bless its flatulent ways.

ioghoperijgeriopurt0980-h98wh908rtw0-h89rtw0-h89tw0hy-89!!!! (PU51 DRY COMBI BOILER)

:D:D:D !

Managed to get a working FED 2 camera by combining a desperate ebay win (Zenit E and the aforementioned FED for £2 plus postage) with the lens off a jiggered FED 3. Stuck an Industar 50 on the Zenit E (which works at 1/400 whether you like or not) and there's two working 35mms for you.

I don't want to tell you what I paid for a "1936 Berlin Olympics Leica" from a market stall in Kiev.

I don't want to tell you what I paid for a "1936 Berlin Olympics Leica" from a market stall in Kiev.

I take it that it 'did a Jesse Owens' over your common sense?

I was sensible enough to check out all the functions and it works.

I also had a magpie moment as its gold and zebrano.

If eBay is anything to go by I could make my money back if I decided I don't like it.

I think it's a Zorki 2 from the mid-50s.

I was sensible enough to check out all the functions and it works.

I also had a magpie moment as its gold and zebrano.

If eBay is anything to go by I could make my money back if I decided I don't like it.

I think it's a Zorki 2 from the mid-50s.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-III-copy-35-mm-GOLD-color-Camera-OLYMPIADA-BERLIN-1936-wooden-case-TOP-/230848830893?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item35bfa99dad

Like this? It's a late FED 1 if it is.

I can bang some pictures of my FED 1G up if you want to see? FED 1s were much closer in appearance to the pre war Barnack Leicas.

There were FEDs for sale about 10 stalls down, Internet info tells me it's a Zorki.

I'll have a play with it when I get home (I'll also post some pictures of it and taken with it) and if I can't get on with it I'll put it on eBay.

EDIT, just seen your eBay link, that seems to be it.

After posting the pictures of my cleaned Alfa interior on another forum I got this reply:

Seeing that seat runner in the Alfa, 2nd pic...Well, i had a friend buy a second hand car once, just like you,1st weekend decided to clean it ... A little long in the leg, he realised the seat wouldn't go as far back as it should, so, rather than force it, he investigated the problem... in the runner,at the back was a 9mm live bullet!

tis a Mayfair. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but from what I can surmise it has the nice LX interior (in grey), chrome widgets on the outside and slightly different wheel trims along with silver painted door mirror casings. I've asked the MMOC for more info, I'm sure they'll provide it. I've never seen a Mayfair Maestro before.

Anyone watch 'George Clarke's Amazing Spaces' on CH4 tonight? What that couple did with the old Bedford bus was superb, I'd defo spend a night in that and George's static should be class when it's finished.