What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Impreza has lost its virginity.

Just trundling along the ring road on the way home now and there's a Mondeo cab insisting on tailgating me. Wouldn't have been an issue, but his n/s headlamp was right in my rear view mirror. I'm in the left hand lane, the right hand lane is empty. I'm the only car on the road other than this idiot and he's tailgating me even though I'm doing the lmitish. Because the Subaru is a 4x4 I'm pretty gentle away from the lights in it, not a slug, but I take off at the same speed as everyone else. Mondeo cab man doesn't think that's quick enough. I edge the speed up a little bit and he's still there. I slow down a little bit (gently, just a slight lift off the gas) and move over to the left a bit more to give him the hint to go past. He's still fucking there blinding the fuck out of me with his badly aimed headlamp. This happens for two sets of lights over about two miles.

I got bored. Floored the Pretzel in 3rd. Mondeo man's nearside headlamp is a teeny spec in the mirror. Big silly grin, back down to cruising velocity.

Mile or so later there's a Focus behind me. With little blue lights in the grille. I pull over as soon as I saw it screaming up behind me, before it puts the lights and siren on. Which it does, and two youngish cops are staring at me while I try to find the bloody window switch - Subaru ones don't light up. Window down.

"Good evening, Sir. Going a bit quickly weren't you?"

"Ummmmmm. "

"Just keep it down a bit will you. I can see it's a bloody fast car "

"Ok, er"

"Just admit you were going quickly and we'll leave it at that. Keep it down"

"Er, yup, a bit quickly, yeah. Er... sorry"

"Good evening, Sir. Nice to see a proper car being driven properly, but keep it down".

Thank fuck for that. To give 'em there due they were both grinning and laughing about it, but bollocking received and understood.

This country isn't as bad as people make out.

I spent 10 hours welding the capri today. This is grinworthy in itself because I don't get enough time to myself these days, but this..

I didn't know how it was going to come out (no sound on the camera...) but I quite like it for an improv.

very good :D

I spent 10 hours welding the capri today. This is grinworthy in itself because I don't get enough time to myself these days, but this..

I didn't know how it was going to come out (no sound on the camera...) but I quite like it for an improv.

LOL. That item is still here by the way Andy.

LOL. That item is still here by the way Andy.

I finally found a copper in Northern Ireland who isn't a grumpy bastard today*, greeted me and a mate with a good afternoon as we strolled down the street and seemed generally pleasant... much better than the ones that growl around my street and scarcely aknowledge you if you are at least in the slightest bit polite to them. So indeed if there are some that like Cortinas, let Pete off with a ticking off and are generally polite there seems to be a few decent ones about.

I finally found a copper in Northern Ireland who isn't a grumpy bastard today*, greeted me and a mate with a good afternoon as we strolled down the street and seemed generally pleasant... much better than the ones that growl around my street and scarcely aknowledge you if you are at least in the slightest bit polite to them. So indeed if there are some that like Cortinas, let Pete off with a ticking off and are generally polite there seems to be a few decent ones about.

Went to the advance screening of the BBC's Britain In A Day programme at the Media Museum in Bradford. Out of 12,000 submissions a bit of what I shot got picked up for the final edit.

It's so short it's of the blink and you'll miss it variety, but I still got my name in the credits. It's out June 11, and I urge you to watch it if you have a spare hour. It's incredible.

N1CE 1 WOT, as said please remind us nearer the time.

Went to the advance screening of the BBC's Britain In A Day programme at the Media Museum in Bradford. Out of 12,000 submissions a bit of what I shot got picked up for the final edit.

It's so short it's of the blink and you'll miss it variety, but I still got my name in the credits. It's out June 11, and I urge you to watch it if you have a spare hour. It's incredible.

N1CE 1 WOT, as said please remind us nearer the time.

They've let some right fucking knobheads into the PSNI over the last 3-5 years. However, they're now being weeded out. There was a road safety TV advert on here in NI featuring an actual female PSNI officer, with her saying "Drug driving kills" at the end. She was nicked for drink driving a few months after the ad was first shown. It's still on now and again, but she's been edited out.

The 5 recruits who, on passing out, decided to have a night on the lash and went to a nightclub. And promptly handed their personal issue gats to the bouncer for safekeeping.

In fairness though, most peelers here are OK, if a little inept at times. If you don't slabber at them, you'll be grand.

They've let some right fucking knobheads into the PSNI over the last 3-5 years. However, they're now being weeded out. There was a road safety TV advert on here in NI featuring an actual female PSNI officer, with her saying "Drug driving kills" at the end. She was nicked for drink driving a few months after the ad was first shown. It's still on now and again, but she's been edited out.

The 5 recruits who, on passing out, decided to have a night on the lash and went to a nightclub. And promptly handed their personal issue gats to the bouncer for safekeeping.

In fairness though, most peelers here are OK, if a little inept at times. If you don't slabber at them, you'll be grand.

Despite general OMG POLICE ST8 that people like to write on the Internet, I think a smile and good manners will take you a long way. If you'd have opened your window and said "oink oink" then that would have been a different story.

http://youtu.be/81S5sm1U2RU

"How not to get your ass kicked by the police"

Tell me they're ex-cops now... :shock:

Despite general OMG POLICE ST8 that people like to write on the Internet, I think a smile and good manners will take you a long way. If you'd have opened your window and said "oink oink" then that would have been a different story.

http://youtu.be/81S5sm1U2RU

"How not to get your ass kicked by the police"

Tell me they're ex-cops now... :shock:

Indeed they are Ross! Interview without coffee, and shown the door. They were lucky in a way, as the bouncer concerned was ex-Royal Signals, and he called 999. One of the responding officers was my best mate.

Indeed they are Ross! Interview without coffee, and shown the door. They were lucky in a way, as the bouncer concerned was ex-Royal Signals, and he called 999. One of the responding officers was my best mate.

I can vaguely remember that lass appearing in the news, what a tit. From the very limited contact I have had with the police it does seem to be that the older ones are generally pretty good (yesterday the polite coppers was a 50 yo sergeant) whilst a few of the young ones do appear to be wankers with very limited interaction skills but they're generally alright unless you're being a tit to them. It's not a police job I'd sign up for in a hurry, they've got my respect for actually doing it.

As for those 5 recruits, that is almost as braindead as the squaddy who went around N.Belfast boasting about being in the army before finding a surprise in his unlocked car which luckily didn't get him.

I can vaguely remember that lass appearing in the news, what a tit. From the very limited contact I have had with the police it does seem to be that the older ones are generally pretty good (yesterday the polite coppers was a 50 yo sergeant) whilst a few of the young ones do appear to be wankers with very limited interaction skills but they're generally alright unless you're being a tit to them. It's not a police job I'd sign up for in a hurry, they've got my respect for actually doing it.

As for those 5 recruits, that is almost as braindead as the squaddy who went around N.Belfast boasting about being in the army before finding a surprise in his unlocked car which luckily didn't get him.

:D

Must have been some kind of Walter Mitty type looking to get blown up. Being a Paddy I've found that nobody who had served in NI would discuss that kind of thing with you.

When I worked for a company that did work in Faslane submarine base, everybody worked in "the stores". Funny that... :lol::lol:

:D

Must have been some kind of Walter Mitty type looking to get blown up. Being a Paddy I've found that nobody who had served in NI would discuss that kind of thing with you.

When I worked for a company that did work in Faslane submarine base, everybody worked in "the stores". Funny that... :lol::lol: