What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

it really is quite amusing how some evenings go, so here I am settling down for the evening, hot chocolate in hand, when a good lighting collector friend of mine *in the states* who i have not directly spoken to in a few years drops me a message 

image.thumb.png.db4c1985a9ebcf5b040493a0df55c843.png

okay computer issues sure, that sounds innocent enough, I am fairly competent with the things, what be the issue with ye olde computer?

image.thumb.png.ccbab6a9877076e37c5899fb834edff2.png

Oh....

yeah thats a different sort of computer issue entirely, I mean theres "help me install a video game" and then theres "help me low level hack my car" but I am not one to leave a friend in need

so, 3 hours 44 minutes later, at almost 2AM in the morning, yeah I fucking pulled it off LOL

image.thumb.png.e5d71faf5908c3d76bd64308b6b2202c.png

but fucking hell it was quite the roller-coaster ride for me because,

at first thought ok, perhaps he just needs help setting up the dodgy windows XP era software that these things need and then I could just let him handle it from there?

I see that he running ubuntu linux on his laptop, so ok lets setup a windows XP VM and do USB device pass through, simples right? NOPE, turns out he is, essentially as far as all this is concerned, completely computer illiterate, and he did not even know *which* program he was suppose to use and how to use it,

and this is where it really dawned on me like "ahh fuck" 

like how would I have a fucking clue on how to work an ECU programmer? but again I was not going to leave him the dark

turns out he at least had another computer running windows (windows 11 eugh LOL) so i got him to get team viewer on that and I just took the reigns from there LOL (and just told him when to plug/unplug things) I know how to work linux myself no problems, but I was not going to even try and walk someone who is computer illiterate through how to setup teamviewer on linux/how to work a command line package manager! so windows it was!

image.thumb.png.914b50d593761d024ee364609f817fdd.png

but even then, I mean I have never fucking done this sort of shit before, so figuring it all out was fun, hence the roller coaster ride-ness of it, because there where several points during this where I was like "what the dodgy hell is that" or "where in the dodgy hell am I going to find that" and subsequently thought this was just getting too complicated/obscure for even me to be able to get going, but I got there in end!

first of all was getting the software setup, that in itself was actually not too bad, and in the end I did not even need the windows XP Virtual machine for it, so all that was a waste of time LOL (but hey now he can play pinball LOL)

but then came getting it to talk to the programmer magic box thing, turns out he got this one, some cheap knock off version of some programmer of sorts

https://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Scanner-V5-017-Programming-Unlimited/dp/B08M5SHK2L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

note the glowing* reviews...

so the software was giving me a fit about it, after a bit of head scratching (read: googling cryptic error messages and trying to make sense of broken english posts from some god knows what forum) I had figured out/it turns out these programmers have an internal SD card thats onboard which contains the firmware for the programmer itself, and this SD card was bad (or was not making good contact in the socket) so I got him to open up the magic box and have a look for me, sure enough there be SD card

image.thumb.png.6aa96d24e8143056606eb21ba563a5f3.png

he got the SD card out, not in the manner its supposed to come out mind I dont think mind...

image.thumb.png.b2f342954609333c14a37a5da6283da2.png

so then he had to go to the local store get another SD card, because he did not have one spare at home

image.thumb.png.ceae540148280ef86f6463b926e99454.png

I then had to figure out how to go about prepping the the new SD card, I mean just figuring how to program a car ECU is one thing, now I had to figure out how to program the fucking programmer itself! finding the firmware from god knows where on the internet, (yay for random broken english forum posts again) but, got it flashed to the SD card! (all while my friend had his thumb going numb holding the SD card down into its socket to ensure a good connection after aforementioned botched removal)

and this finally got the software and programmer talking to each-other, which by some miracle as per above was then happy to talk to the ECU in the car and dump its firmware, thank fuck for that! woo!

(for those wondering he says he needs the firmware from his ECU for some sort of remap, he says the chap modifying the firmware should be helping him flash it back to the  ECU, which is good because fuck having to then try and flash back *modified* firmware to something and the risk of bricking someones car, it was bad enough just trying to figure out how to dump it, knowing there was a still a none zero risk it could still get bricked)

this is up there in really fucking obscure technical support I have had to give/been involved with, I mean I have helped people out in all sorts of weird computer situations, in the past, from Hackintoshing a deaf guys desktop machine over FaceTime to helping someone else with the software for a Gas chromatography–mass spectrometer, but at least the person in the 2nd example was computer competent and aware of what they where doing and involved with

but managing to help someone who is in in a completely different country and who does not have the foggiest idea whats what, dump the ECU firmware of his car, using the most obscure/dodgiest software tools/software known to man (and having to also fix said tool in the middle of all of this) is something that I am quite proud of LOL

and its clear he is really appreciative of the support (apparently he got the kit over 6 months ago and has been fretting about it ever since, not knowing what to do etc) and I am also just pleased I was able to help someone out in their time of need!

(and I guess this is what people mean by being tech savvy, I might not have had a clue what I am doing at first with this particular "computer issue" , but it seems I have enough similar-ish previous experience, general know how/understanding of how things work, and google fu to figure it all out in the end LOL)

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

it really is quite amusing how some evenings go, so here I am settling down for the evening, hot chocolate in hand, when a good lighting collector friend of mine *in the states* who i have not directly spoken to in a few years drops me a message 

image.thumb.png.db4c1985a9ebcf5b040493a0df55c843.png

okay computer issues sure, that sounds innocent enough, I am fairly competent with the things, what be the issue with ye olde computer?

image.thumb.png.ccbab6a9877076e37c5899fb834edff2.png

Oh....

yeah thats a different sort of computer issue entirely, I mean theres "help me install a video game" and then theres "help me low level hack my car" but I am not one to leave a friend in need

so, 3 hours 44 minutes later, at almost 2AM in the morning, yeah I fucking pulled it off LOL

image.thumb.png.e5d71faf5908c3d76bd64308b6b2202c.png

but fucking hell it was quite the roller-coaster ride for me because,

at first thought ok, perhaps he just needs help setting up the dodgy windows XP era software that these things need and then I could just let him handle it from there?

I see that he running ubuntu linux on his laptop, so ok lets setup a windows XP VM and do USB device pass through, simples right? NOPE, turns out he is, essentially as far as all this is concerned, completely computer illiterate, and he did not even know *which* program he was suppose to use and how to use it,

and this is where it really dawned on me like "ahh fuck" 

like I would have a fucking clue on how to work an ECU programmer? but again I was not going to leave him the dark

turns out he at least had another computer running windows (windows 11 eugh LOL) so i got him to get team viewer on that and I just took the reigns from there LOL (and just told him when to plug/unplug things)

image.thumb.png.914b50d593761d024ee364609f817fdd.png

but even then, I mean I have never fucking done this sort of shit before, so figuring it all out was fun, hence the roller coaster ride-ness of it, because there where several points during this where I was like "what the dodgy hell is that" or "where in the dodgy hell am I going to find that" and subsequently thought this was just getting too complicated/obscure for even me to be able to get going, but I got there in end!

first of all was getting the software setup, that in itself was actually not too bad, and in the end I did not even need the windows XP Virtual machine for it, so all that was a waste of time LOL (but hey now he can play pinball LOL)

but then came getting it to talk to the programmer magic box thing, turns out he got this one, some cheap knock off version of some programmer of sorts

https://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Scanner-V5-017-Programming-Unlimited/dp/B08M5SHK2L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

note the glowing* reviews...

so the software was giving me a fit about it, after a bit of head scratching (read: googling cryptic error messages and trying to make sense of broken english posts from some god knows what forum) I had figured out/it turns out these programmers have an internal SD card thats onboard which contains the firmware for the programmer itself, and this SD card was bad (or was not making good contact in the socket) so I got him to open up the magic box and have a look for me, sure enough there be SD card

image.thumb.png.6aa96d24e8143056606eb21ba563a5f3.png

he got the SD card out, not in the manner its supposed to come out mind I dont think mind...

image.thumb.png.b2f342954609333c14a37a5da6283da2.png

so then he had to go to the local store get another SD card, because he did not have one spare at home

image.thumb.png.ceae540148280ef86f6463b926e99454.png

I then had to figure out how to go about prepping the the new SD card, I mean just figuring how to program a car ECU is one thing, now I had to figure out how to program the fucking programmer itself! finding the firmware from god knows where on the internet, (yay for random broken english forum posts again) but, got it flashed to the SD card! (all while my friend had his thumb going numb holding the SD card down into its socket to ensure a good connection after aforementioned botched removal)

and this finally got the software and programmer talking to each-other, which by some miracle as per above was then happy to talk to the ECU in the car and dump its firmware, thank fuck for that! woo!

(for those wondering he says he needs the firmware from his ECU for some sort of remap, he says the chap modifying the firmware should be helping him flash it back to the  ECU, which is good because fuck having to then try and flash back *modified* firmware to something and the risk of bricking someones car, it was bad enough just trying to figure out how to dump it, knowing there was a still a none zero risk it could still get bricked)

this is up there in really fucking obscure technical support I have had to give/been involved with, I mean I have helped people out in all sorts of weird computer situations, in the past, from Hackintoshing a deaf guys desktop machine over FaceTime to helping someone else with the software for a Gas chromatography–mass spectrometer, but at least the person in the 2nd example was computer competent and aware of what they where doing and involved with

but managing to help someone who is in in a completely different country and who does not have the foggiest idea whats what, dump the ECU firmware of his car, using the most obscure/dodgiest software tools/software known to man (and having to also fix said tool in the middle of all of this) is something that I am quite proud of LOL

and its clear he is really appreciative of the support (apparently he got the kit over 6 months ago and has been fretting about it ever since, not knowing what to do etc) and I am also just pleased I was able to help someone out in their time of need!

(and I guess this is what people mean by being tech savvy, I might not have had a clue what I am doing at first with this particular "computer issue" , but it seems I have enough similar-ish previous experience, general know how/understanding of how things work, and google fu to figure it all out in the end LOL)

I’m impressed. Well I think I am - I really haven’t a clue what you’ve done. Well done though.

2 hours ago, New POD said:

That looks dangerous. 

Only ever had an issue with honey bees when I trod on a load of them in a recently ploughed field. I didn't see them till i heard them and unfortunately was wearing flips flops which aided getting stung and unaided running away!

A step is an unfortunate place for them neighbour is waiting on a man to rehome them. Hes got loads of flowers out the front there really cares for his garden and is gutted they didn't take up residence and on the tree as they could of stayed there.

Going thru the tunnel onto the plane and theres a nice french.lady who's taller than I am and she's asking about the terminal.amd how long flight is and theres a chap in from of her who all of 5 foot 4 if that and he kept looking at her sideways lmao

From today's bike ride... driver had appeared to have tried to make a right turn from the left fork of a triangle, not quite made the turn then his wheels just spin out when trying to reverse. He was spotted putting sheets of timber from his load under the wheels to improve adhesion. A happy ending though as he overtook me 20 minutes or so later 😎

IMG_20230508_100609.thumb.jpg.9e259d4cb78e00f6040553d9e70a7dea.jpg

Not shown: long queues of traffic from all directions