What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

According to a survey done by ATS , 80% of drivers don’t know what  the “tree” symbol over some wavy lines on their dashboard means.

That’s a thermometer in water for anyone with brain cells in double figures!

Social media has people tweeting “wow, never knew that and what it means”.

How do such people earn a living or survive a week in the real world?

Lanchester has stolen all my time and money lately with the emergency repairs it needed, making the Princess wait longer for me to get the stuff to finish the brakes.  So long, in fact, I was sure the battery would be flat and I really ought to charge it to start it.  I needn't have worried.  Battery wasn't even registering as low and it started as if I'd only used the car yesterday, happily sat idling, all the electrical things work and aren't being stupid like they usually do when it's stood for a bit.  Proper motivational boost that, I'm looking forward to finishing the Lanchester jobs so I can turn my attention to the Princess and get it freshly MoT'd again.

Off to my first car meet since the pandemic began tomorrow too (all being well).  The Furious Driving coffee morning thing at Torque Moto.  It'll be nice to finally do something 'normal' again, it's well overdue.

Didn't know whether to post this in the grin or grumpy thread 

My son came home with 2 tickets to the theatre but his GF isn't well so free night out for us 

Fuck me, that's 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back 

An inspector calls, one of the most bizzare things I've ever watched, it was that bad I was thinking at least we'll be able to fuck off at the interval, no they've thought of that, they want you to stay to the end so there's no interval 

12 minutes ago, Wack said:

My son came home with 2 tickets to the theatre but his GF isn't well so free night out for us 

An inspector calls, one of the most bizzare things I've ever watched, it was that bad I was thinking at least we'll be able to fuck off at the interval, no they've thought of that, they want you to stay to the end so there's no interval 

Each to their own, I'm not a theatre/book person in the slightest but I quite enjoyed AIC for some reason, both as a performance and reading the book 🤔

I do agree, it's a bizarre storyline!

21 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Each to their own, I'm not a theatre/book person in the slightest but I quite enjoyed AIC for some reason, both as a performance and reading the book 🤔

I do agree, it's a bizarre storyline!

I just didn't get it, it's been decades since I've been to the theatre to see a play 

In the 80s I went to London with my ex wife and some friends to see steaming, a play set in a steam Bath 

The opening scene went straight into it, the curtain went up and the leading member of the all female cast walked to the edge of the stage naked 

Total silence until the guy next to me whispered fuucckk meeee under his breath and I burst out laughing 

11 minutes ago, Wack said:

I just didn't get it, it's been decades since I've been to the theatre to see a play 

In the 80s I went to London with my ex wife and some friends to see steaming, a play set in a steam Bath 

The opening scene went straight into it, the curtain went up and the leading member of the all female cast walked to the edge of the stage naked 

Total silence until the guy next to me whispered fuucckk meeee under his breath and I burst out laughing 

It's written in the perspective of the 1930s if I remember rightly depicting anti capitalist views. All the characters are evil apart from Eva or whatever her name was. 

There, I could have saved you two hours!

Also; that's not the version I remember 🤣

16 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Off to my first car meet since the pandemic began tomorrow too (all being well).  The Furious Driving coffee morning thing at Torque Moto.  It'll be nice to finally do something 'normal' again, it's well overdue.

Never mind, other half is quite unwell so we've had to cancel last minute.

23 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

According to a survey done by ATS , 80% of drivers don’t know what  the “tree” symbol over some wavy lines on their dashboard means.

That’s a thermometer in water for anyone with brain cells in double figures!

Social media has people tweeting “wow, never knew that and what it means”.

How do such people earn a living or survive a week in the real world?

I work with one, she asked what the Aladdin's lamp meant on the dash of her car. Chorus from everybody "It's your oil light"

It had been on for a while before she asked.

She did put oil in it (under supervision to make sure she didn't  use olive oil, or put it in the screenwash)

The car did not last long afterwards

11 hours ago, Wack said:

I remember An Inspector Calls. J.B. Priestley, I think?

It's one of those wank plays where you're meant to overlook that the story itself is shit and focus on the hidden metaphors behind each character

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

I remember An Inspector Calls. J.B. Priestley, I think?

It's one of those wank plays where you're meant to overlook that the story itself is shit and focus on the hidden metaphors behind each character

Something like that, only I was tired, hungry and thinking WTF am I doing here so all that passed me by 

2 hours ago, jaypee said:

Some automotive manoeuvring with @davidfowler2000 @320touringand @SupernautIMG_20230317_131617.thumb.jpg.35fd26ecb4289c5e28b26b5b75f5e962.jpg

If we do any more trailering with that V70 I'm going to have to get Autoshite.Recovery.Shiteshifting.Etc. decals made for it

16 hours ago, anonymous user said:

I work with one, she asked what the Aladdin's lamp meant on the dash of her car. Chorus from everybody "It's your oil light"

It had been on for a while before she asked.

She did put oil in it (under supervision to make sure she didn't  use olive oil, or put it in the screenwash)

The car did not last long afterwards

I look forward to the “Aladdin’s lamp “ becoming a feature of a similar future poll and subsequent revelation on social media.

Made some more progress on the Lanchester today.  Last of the woodworm treatment done, wood hardener applied, and that's as far as I could go on frame repairs due to drying/curing times.  I'll come back another day to do the filling work to get the shape back.  Didn't want to do welding, partly out of respect for the neighbours what with it being Mothering Sunday (or Mother's Day, if you prefer the American import) and partly because I just didn't want to.

Got the intermediary floor back in too.  This was tricky since it's a very particular fit for the space and I didn't want to damage the original arch inner trims that are really very fragile.

MVI_2696_Moment.thumb.jpg.cbf7ceb37b94f75f7f9ded92f2c25ae4.jpg

After that was in, I sorted through the medley of fasteners that had been holding it down when the car arrived and made sure only the proper ones went in the appropriate holes.  New grommets in the bodywork for the new wiring was done too, as well as routing the new wiring for the high level rear lights ready for when the brackets are finished for those lights to go in.  The wiring will be hidden by the side trims when they go back in the car once I've got everything connected and am happy it all works.

To wrap things up, the rubber floor mat was put back in for the first time in months and I can draw a line under this job.

MVI_2699_Moment.thumb.jpg.ef81265a9359cdcb9ab763cdc519fae6.jpg

Not sure what the next target is yet.  It will either be the bit of welding to the sill ends and floor, completion of the high level rear lights wiring and bracketry, or connecting the front indicator wiring up.  Maybe a mix of all of that.  It's all going in the right direction at any rate.  Each job is feeling progressively smaller and less stressful, which is nice.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:47 PM, Wack said:

Liverpool Empire I assume, my daughter reported the same this week