What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I don't know if this is a grin or a grump really. I live in a fairly rural place, our neighbours are pensioners etc. Last night I got up for a piss at about 3am, and I could hear a very faint, very fast bassline. talking 180bpm fast. You never hear music here other than maybe the pub has a karaoke night on, but they're shut by 11. 

I was so confused, it sounded familiar - Definitely happy hardcore at that BPM with the naff key changes. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, it's got a bad image but I just absolutely love it, I listened to it as a kid on begged/borrowed tapes, just takes me back to better times.

I opened the window to see if I could hear where it was coming from - it sounded so familiar, I was worried that the stereo had turned on in my van on the drive or something, I was doing my head in! 

But nope, it was very distant, and just an occasional hint at a vocal on the wind. Not sure if I'm ashamed or proud, but I even recognised the mix being played as it's one of my favourites.

So yeah, there was someone playing Force & Styles at Helter Skelter 1997 at 3:30am in the middle of nowhere, I can only presume in a car parked up somewhere. It was about -2 so probably a bit cold for any impromptu raves in some field or something. 

9 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I don't know if this is a grin or a grump really. I live in a fairly rural place, our neighbours are pensioners etc. Last night I got up for a piss at about 3am, and I could hear a very faint, very fast bassline. talking 180bpm fast. You never hear music here other than maybe the pub has a karaoke night on, but they're shut by 11. 

I was so confused, it sounded familiar - Definitely happy hardcore at that BPM with the naff key changes. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, it's got a bad image but I just absolutely love it, I listened to it as a kid on begged/borrowed tapes, just takes me back to better times.

I opened the window to see if I could hear where it was coming from - it sounded so familiar, I was worried that the stereo had turned on in my van on the drive or something, I was doing my head in! 

But nope, it was very distant, and just an occasional hint at a vocal on the wind. Not sure if I'm ashamed or proud, but I even recognised the mix being played as it's one of my favourites.

So yeah, there was someone playing Force & Styles at Helter Skelter 1997 at 3:30am in the middle of nowhere, I can only presume in a car parked up somewhere. It was about -2 so probably a bit cold for any impromptu raves in some field or something. 

I wish my neighbours played music like that during their anti-social splurges... Usually it's the shittest tiktok playlist they can find on YouTube being played full blast on repeat 😥🤢 ... Yes she's a fully grown adult as well!

24 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Dogging with the nitrous cartridges?

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I'm not going mad, but crookes/nether edge is 14 miles away! It must have been serious!

image.thumb.png.68c10a990f62d6632a62d6ba5c202d2e.png

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

Good to see another Happy Hardcore raver here. :D

This is from early in my career as a lighting tech.

Went in to Norwich this afternoon to do some shopping.  Walking past the Sainsbury's near the station there was a chap outside the door begging, and a scruffy looking bloke with dreadlocks and a beanie hat stood at the cash point.  Scruffy bloke withdraws 20 quid, then walks over to the chap begging, hands the £20 to him saying "Here you go mate, look after yourself", and walks off.  It's been a while since I've seen a random act of kindness like that - at least one that wasn't being filmed for social media likes.

Then on the way home I passed a giffer in a wonderfully scruffy Volvo 164.  I almost gave him a wave, then I realised I was in the 107 and he'd think I was a mentalist if I started excitedly waving at him.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

So the first (up to) 8 hours is £100, then it's £2.50 per hour after that? How on earth can that difference be justified?

Because no one parks for more than 8 hours there. Just to catch out people who don’t know the area , assume that will be a handy place to park. By the time you realise it’s £100, it’s pay up or miss half the match or gig you’ve paid £150 each for tickets.

I’ve given up going to major sporting or musical events, it’s just a cynical exercise in extracting as much money as possible.

5 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Because no one parks for more than 8 hours there. Just to catch out people who don’t know the area , assume that will be a handy place to park. By the time you realise it’s £100, it’s pay up or miss half the match or gig you’ve paid £150 each for tickets.

I’ve given up going to major sporting or musical events, it’s just a cynical exercise in extracting as much money as possible.

Last time I went to Wembley (Billy Joel & pre-Covid - that dates it) - park at Denham, two on the train down to Wembley. After the gig you walk past the massive queues for the trains into London and hop on the out of town train.
I guess you could park up any place from Oxford  on in if it suited?

29 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Last time I went to Wembley (Billy Joel & pre-Covid - that dates it) - park at Denham, two on the train down to Wembley. After the gig you walk past the massive queues for the trains into London and hop on the out of town train.
I guess you could park up any place from Oxford  on in if it suited?

In the 80s I used to get tickets for the FA and league cup finals on a regular basis, and used to get the BR train from St Pancras to Wembley which was always very quiet compared to Wembley Park tube where everyone seemed to go.

Never been since Wembley ( and St Pancras) was redeveloped . TBH, can’t stand the crowds either these days.

Just worked out fuel consumption for my two and a half tonne brick-shaped car after giving it a chance to stretch its legs taking the grandkids from South Wales to Legoland and back.

Am I the only one who thinks that 34 empeegees for an 8 speed Range Rover sport  is bloody good?

Bonus grin on the way back being overtaken by a 98 Mondeo estate with a towbar when I was doing 70.

40 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

For me it was also pre Covid. 😄

I was there, got there early, sat on some steps outside waiting for the gates to open, after a couple of hours my arse had gone numb so I stood up and walked forward into a gap to stretch my legs 

This started some sort of mass hysteria that the gates were opening so every fucker stood up and 2 minutes later we were crushed near the gates 

pre show cameramen encouraging  tit flashing, very 1980s 

When the gig started we were quite near the front, it was terrifying getting shoved all over the place so I didn't last long, went and sat in the stands 

The O2's £29 for their event parking, but it covers you from 1am on the day of the event til 1am the next morning - so if you're travelling down, there's nothing to stop you making a day of it, then going to your event then back to your car. I've also never queued to leave for more than 5 minutes.

Last thing I saw at Wembley (Ed Sheeran, probably one of the ones attracting those high parking rates)I paid £30 to park on someone's drive, time before that I got into one of the multi storeys for £20 - admittedly I don't think anyone's charging £100 parking on the day of a Manic Street Preachers gig. Didn't really encounter any issues leaving.

London Stadium was by far the worst. Did two gigs there in 3 days (Hella Mega Tour then Red Hot Chili Peppers). First one, found a driveway to park on for £6 four stops up the Central line. That would've been great but it took us that long to get from the stadium to the tube station due to crowd management, then when we got there only a third of the tube trains were going that way (I think at that time of night most of the trains were going halfway up the Hainault loop) and what was there was rammed. Ended up getting on whatever we could, travelling two stops up then getting an Uber to the car. Second time, sacked that idea off, parked at Westfield. Think it was sub-£20, but a mammoth wait to get out of the car park.

My usual trick for central London is to ditch the car at Stanmore, fairly cheap car park next to the station, particularly on weekends, and not far from the M1.

High price of parking has given me some man maths excuses to see more gigs though - so when my cousin used to get the £5 gig tickets through her work, sure, it was £5, but add £30 to park and at least the same again in petrol. If I wait for them to come to Nottingham, it's £5 max on the bus there and back and maybe a £40 ticket for instance.

23 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

Walking poo this morning and noticed a black Range Rover sport clamped on the main road up from us. Notice the number plate, twig it's the one that races around like a prick.

Excellent. Hopefully it costs him plenty of money.

No tax/insura

10 hours ago, 808 Estate said:

ezgif-4-7e2ab80889.gif.10d3402de55d9d402a31263ad2aeeb1b.gif

Did that once - never again :-) (fortunately pre mobile phones)

On 2/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, cobblers said:

I hear you barking dog. I was at that gig, can still remember the terror of driving all the way to Milton Keynes in my brothers Astra (pre sat nav). I think we'd done Hardcore Heaven the previous year.

By coincidence I was sorting out my shed at the weekend, and found an old bookcase to house all my vinyl, which I started collecting when I started DJing in the mid 90s. I have loads of mid-late 90s hardcore and techno tunez (sic), as well as house and later breakbeat. I still have my much prized Technics 1200s (purchased new from the factory) and a shit mixer I've had for donkey's years. Might let my kids have a go at mixing.