What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

17 hours ago, iainrcz said:

By a woman I actually meant my Mrs. Though I suppose she could still be classed as a colleague. We do both have to deal with the idiot dog.

Morning @iainrcz, to further expand on yesterday's comments. Asking your wife what she's having for lunch I don't consider weird though referring to your wife as 'a woman' could be considered a bit strange. 

Having said that I'm no expert on marriage and nor am I a marriage counsellor.  I've never been married nor do I intend to do so.  I thought I'd just save myself some time and find myself a woman I don't like very much and buy her a house as it's the way these things so often go though hopefully not in your case.

You might want to disregard everything I've just said as I've been at the rum again. Have a good day, I'm off to bed. 

17 hours ago, iainrcz said:

By a woman I actually meant my Mrs. Though I suppose she could still be classed as a colleague. We do both have to deal with the idiot dog.

Morning @iainrcz, to further expand on yesterday's comments. Asking your wife what she's having for lunch I don't consider weird though referring to your wife as 'a woman' could be considered a bit strange. 

Having said that I'm no expert on marriage and nor am I a marriage counsellor.  I've never been married nor do I intend to do so.  I thought I'd just save myself some time and find myself a woman I don't like very much and buy her a house as it's the way these things so often go though hopefully not in your case.

You might want to disregard everything I've just said as I've been at the rum again. Have a good day, I'm off to bed. 

Had a bit of a happy find yesterday on my way home from the gym.  Another house was having the garage cleared out, loads of old tools and stuff sat waiting for the scrap man, on top of which was a bright yellow trolley jack.  I could do with a better jack and while this one hasn't got a handle, it's in otherwise reasonable shape on initial inspection.  I'll know better when I actually use it, and the handle I have already fits it, looks to be a fairly new Halfords one.  I was also in need of a lump hammer, now I have three.

IMAG6641.thumb.jpg.8aae9e8f577988ee118f3e243bcaf9bd.jpg

But wait, there's more!  Two big metal tool boxes, the galvanised one is destined for Pat's van since it'll be a big improvement on the plastic buckets he's using.  The blue cantilever one is for me, I've been after one this style for ages and all it needs is a bit of lubrication on the pivots since it's a bit stiff.  Luckly there was half a tin of WD40 in the pile, so that'll sort that out.  Several other bits and pieces including a nice multimeter with a good battery and the covers for the prongs still present, most of a roll of PTFE tape which is always useful, several Stanley (type) knives, and an odd old adjustable wrench that will be going in the Lanchester's tool kit.  The 30m cable reel was really good to grab too since the extensions we have aren't quite long enough on their own to reach all the way to one of the hedges.  The little 10m cable reel is a nice bonus.  Can never have too many extensions.

IMAG6642.thumb.jpg.badc4f05fe2fe8e94f2a929927d62150.jpg

IMAG6637.thumb.jpg.5be3825408473db642b01da3d566ae06.jpg

The little red metal socket set was a good find too.  It's not premium, the sockets all say TAIWAN on them, but it's almost complete and the ratchet works well, even the spark plug socket has the rubber bit inside it.  I've got a drawer full of random sockets so I can repopulate this one fully I reckon, bash the tin out straight, and that's a great little in-car set for the Maestro or the Princess.  Combined imperial and metric, which is useful, three 10mm sockets, and the mythical 4.5mm socket I've heard about over the years and never actually seen.

IMAG6638.thumb.jpg.c4cd55dcc7ca05ba6fb61902576c9320.jpg

IMAG6639.thumb.jpg.9e4919d4bc19bd66e4cfecd21703d773.jpg

Not only that, there were some garden things too.  I couldn't get the patio table, parasol, and chairs in the car unfortunately.  Nor the reasonable condition old metal wheelbarrow, but I did grab a lovely old garden fork, some extendable loppers, and a few rolls of mesh which are all things we actually need for various garden things this year.

IMAG6643.thumb.jpg.9a16374c6b3f1b74ff38d40de02f50e9.jpg

Well chuffed with that haul and delighted to save what I could from scrap.  There were some lovely old hand tools with the shaped wooden handles but sadly most of the files were snapped and rusty, and the chisels were absolutely destroyed.  Had to draw the line somewhere.  Don't want people thinking I'm a hoarder >.>

Had one ceramic thing arrive broken in a box of several items from Dunelm (for Mrs, obs) as OMGONSALE! One item was received broken, so I went on a webchat to get a replacement. None left (it was half-price in sale), so they refunded my £2.50. I said we were unhappy as we really wanted this item (meh, a spare only bought cos cheep) so they offered a £5 voucher to use online. Fine, but 10 days later no sign of email with voucher. Another webchat revealed they don't do £5 vouchers online, only instore.  Would Sir be happy with a £10 voucher instead? That'll do nicely, said I.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:29 PM, horriblemercedes said:

The fuck? If I told my boss that I was going to choose when (or even if) I was going to work and it all depended on my interest in exercise, I don't think I'd be welcome to stay at my job.

That must be the most trivial excuse I've ever heard for not working

I used a nose bleed once lol 😎

I've been grinning like a loon since Saturday.

I've had my full bike license for 31 years, but hadn't ridden in 30, until Saturday.

I crashed my bike back then due to riding like a newly qualified teenager, and lost my nerve a bit. That and not being able to afford a bike and a car at the time meant that I went with 4 wheels, and never really thought about bikes again. Until my son took his CBT and got a scooter.

I borrowed a friend's 125 commuter over the weekend to see how I felt, and had a bloody fantastic time. I have use of his bike until March, but I can feel a shopping spree coming on.