What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

What a top class mouth-breathing cockwomble 🤣 He's probably the sort who can't contain his throwaway thoughts so resorts to browsing Gumtree and sending messages that just waste everyone's time as well...

I'm not sure he was completely sober . I didn't really want to talk to him and definately didn't want to tell him I own the business.  It still makes me smile that this little car attracts so much attention.

23 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

What a top class mouth-breathing cockwomble 🤣 He's probably the sort who can't contain his throwaway thoughts so resorts to browsing Gumtree and sending messages that just waste everyone's time as well...

Now don't hold back, tell us what you really think of him 😁

Mother in law went home today. That in itself is reason to grin. However I ordered in some burgers as I’ve got the night off. Takeaway driver drops the food in, before he leaves; ‘cool collection of cars dude, you don’t see any of those anymore’. Firstly, when was the last time anyone got called dude, that’s enjoyable nostalgia straight off the bat. Secondly, doesn’t it just feel good when someone compliments the shite you own. Currently on display out the front is the Insight, Lada and one of the BX estates. Taken off guard I didn’t know what to say, I managed ‘cheers dude’, hope he didn’t think I was taking the piss 😅

Dryer threw in the towel so to speak last week so grabbed a local one from that there tree place... Using the Forester - seller helping me get it to the car just exclaims - wow, proper old school, nice one... 

Then spent 15mins talking about the well used sheds I have and his hankering for a T5R..... The man has taste 

Had a thought provoking experience the other day. Our friends granddaughters partner is an electrician. He'd done us a landlords electrical whatever at our rental property and I went round to his to pick the keys up. He was out on his front in a Skoda Octavia he'd bought. Apparently it's 20 years old, and the only one of it's type in that colour with 4WD.He'd bought it with no engine and is planning to fit a V6 eventually. He'd powder coated a lot of under bonnet components, fitted some Audi TT wheels and seats and had got his lap top out programming an instrument cluster he'd bought from Poland into English language. His family have all told him he's mad, but he feels he can talk to me about it because I understand what he's trying to do. Ahh.... I'm now accused of encouraging him. 

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Had a thought provoking experience the other day. Our friends granddaughters partner is an electrician. He'd done us a landlords electrical whatever at our rental property and I went round to his to pick the keys up. He was out on his front in a Skoda Octavia he'd bought. Apparently it's 20 years old, and the only one of it's type in that colour with 4WD.He'd bought it with no engine and is planning to fit a V6 eventually. He'd powder coated a lot of under bonnet components, fitted some Audi TT wheels and seats and had got his lap top out programming an instrument cluster he'd bought from Poland into English language. His family have all told him he's mad, but he feels he can talk to me about it because I understand what he's trying to do. Ahh.... I'm now accused of encouraging him. 

We all know that one person who has a car which they wish to either perfect or do something completely wild with, despite having zero chance of any value (either monetary or just pure interest) being added to it. I know I do, and he does leave me scratching my head sometimes 🤣

3 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Mother in law went home today. That in itself is reason to grin. However I ordered in some burgers as I’ve got the night off. Takeaway driver drops the food in, before he leaves; ‘cool collection of cars dude, you don’t see any of those anymore’. Firstly, when was the last time anyone got called dude, that’s enjoyable nostalgia straight off the bat. Secondly, doesn’t it just feel good when someone compliments the shite you own. Currently on display out the front is the Insight, Lada and one of the BX estates. Taken off guard I didn’t know what to say, I managed ‘cheers dude’, hope he didn’t think I was taking the piss 😅

I think it's more endearing nowadays, rather than a general youthful greeting like it used to be. Puts a smile on my face whenever I hear someone say "old chap" as well. Because nobody ever says that anymore, yet I think it's also another endearing way of addressing someone in a friendly manner. Something which "mate" doesn't quite manage to do. 

I know what you mean about repeating it, I've done it before as well and felt awkward afterwards.. or I later realize I probably should have used a more professional term in response or something! 😁

On 12/6/2022 at 6:58 AM, MikeR said:

Today's find in the loft 😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_20221206_135103224.thumb.jpg.df7cb7d5648e060acaa1e69aa48f9ac1.jpg

A fellow I knew, rancher and Grateful Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow,  ran into Douglas Adams on the Alaska Ferry going from the Seattle area to Alaska, a 3 or 4-day trip. He was working out in the gym, rather feverishly, and stated that he was going to live 'til 100. He's about my age, but died over 20 years ago. I guess there's more to it than treadmills and Nautilus equipment.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:48 AM, richardmorris said:

For a couple of minutes today my TIPO was parked next to this miura one side and maserati on the other. The maserati was not a happy looking car, more like a Ford Mustang imitation. The miura was mostly obscured by men salivating over it. £2million!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf22/london/lots/r0028-1971-lamborghini-miura-sv-by-bertone/1301169

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/lf22/london/lots/r0055-1958-maserati-3500-gt-spyder-by-frua/1301808

image.jpeg.3cc6523ea3577f7a61d5ec4dc40fb381.jpeg
I had a ride in a Miura like that....possibly the same one....and it's mute testimony to the fact that that color will make any other car look like dog vomit, but on this one it's ace! Imagine if you will a big Ford station wagon or a Bentley Arnage in that shade. 😝

BB211BE9-DB1F-4CD6-AD42-3CC9A5E323F0.jpeg